Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 PM

PT-17 and downloading and extracting Add Ons

I'm new to RealFlight and am learning RF7.5 under Win8.1. Since PT-17 Stearmans were used heavily as crop dusters where I grew up, I would like to try one with RF. However, since one wasn't included in 7.5, I thought maybe one of the Add ONs may contain this biplane. I downloaded ADD ONs 2 and 5, but I haven't been able to unzip either one. I'm also looking for an indoor flying site (gym, dome, etc). I may have to buy an airplane Mega Pack? I would appreciate any instructions or suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 PM

There is a PT-17 Stearman included in the Mega Pack... the PT17 was originally part of Expansion Pack #2 which is discontinued. So the best way to get that plane (plus a whole lot more) is to buy the AIRPLANE MEGA PACK.

For the Add-Ons, follow instructions on this web page: http://www.realflight.com/downloads/add-ons.html

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-09-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Also check out these two downloadable planes.

Click me!

And Click me too!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:40 AM

Downloading, Extracting, and Installing, Free Add Ons, to Proper Location

This "Simplified Procedure" Works for Windows 7, 8, & 10
Or Follow, "Official Procedure" In the Add On's link
DOWNLOAD, ALL 5 ADD-ONS. THEIR FREE!
HERES THE ADD ON's LINK: http://www.realflight.com/support/kb...ght7&q=16-1033

1) "LEFT CLICK", Instead of "RIGHT CLICK". Files will be sent to your computers "Download Folder". (in Compressed, Zip File Form)
2) ONCE ALL 5, ADD ON FILES, ARE DOWNLOADED, GO TO YOUR "DOWNLOADS" FOLDER.
3) RIGHT CLICK, on the desired, "Compressed", "ZIP FILE" (This will bring up, an Options Menu)
4) Left Click "Extract All"
This will open up a window, "Extract Compressed (zip) Folders"; "Select Destination and Extract Files".
METHOD 1

Please note: These instructions assume Windows is installed on the C: drive on your computer and RealFlight G4.x, G5.x, 6.x, 7.x, or 8.x is installed in the default location.(C)

5) Type: C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\RealFlight7\Data Click: "EXTRACT". (For RF 7.5)
... Type: C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\RealFlight8\Data Click: "EXTRACT". (For RF 8) See First Picture Below
Note: ProgramFiles(x86), is the location, on a 64 Bit system, where 32 Bit Program files (like RealFlight) are located.
Note; Use the Full Version File name, eg "RealFlight7" (NOT "7.5") If in doubt, see Method 5b
Note: For other RealFlight versions use Full Version Name RealFlight(4,5,6,7,8)
METHOD 2
(Using Method 5b, will allow you to VERIFY, that you are using the Correct File Path)
5b) Left Click; Browse, Double (L) click (each):
Computer>Local Disk (C: )>Program Files (x86)>RealFlightr7>Data. Click "OK". Click "EXTRACT" (For RF 7.5)
Computer>Local Disk (C: )>Program Files (x86)>RealFlight8>Data. Click "OK". Click "EXTRACT" (For RF 8)
Note: (Windows 10) After clicking EXTRACT, "Authorize", Administrative Rights, when prompted.

Note; This is the procedure for the "FREE ADD-ON'S".

For Swap files:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...54&postcount=4

For Expansion Packs, and Mega Packs; Follow Instructions Specific to Each.

Now run RealFlight (G4 or later version) and the Add-Ons content will be available in the AIRCRAFT, And, AIRPORT, selection dialogs.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Add On File Path.JPG (32.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Program Files(x86).JPG (78.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg RF8 Data.JPG (239.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 07-02-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: ADD LINK, Clarify
Old 01-10-2015, 05:11 PM

You could also just download the Stearman EA from the swaps....

Old 01-10-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
You could also just download the Stearman EA from the swaps....

Just call me "Mr. Missing D'Obvious"

Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 AM

I thought that swap artists did not re-create aircraft that were already available. Some sort of understanding with KE??
Old 01-11-2015, 10:26 AM

I personally dont want to make one offered by KE if I think its a superior model than I could make. Yes, Im building a P-51 Mustang, yes I know KE offers one as well, And yes, Ill be comparing mine as closely as I can to the offered one. If mine isn't superior, Ill offer it to a few that were involved in the build, and most likely sit on it. This is just a personal thing for myself. There is no written, nor verbal, nor understood rule about this. I will say this, for me, it was a big decision to make the mustang. I've been sitting on it for quite some time now because of the wide range of possibilities already out there. It's more of a personal build than one to release, but if I feel it trumps the KE model, I will release it. Now, I won't go and release a model intentionally that is offered in an expansion pack. I don't have any of them, so I can't compare. I have backed out of a model or two for this very reason.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
I personally dont want to make one offered by KE if I think its a superior model than I could make. Yes, Im building a P-51 Mustang, yes I know KE offers one as well, And yes, Ill be comparing mine as closely as I can to the offered one. If mine isn't superior, Ill offer it to a few that were involved in the build, and most likely sit on it. This is just a personal thing for myself. There is no written, nor verbal, nor understood rule about this. I will say this, for me, it was a big decision to make the mustang. I've been sitting on it for quite some time now because of the wide range of possibilities already out there. It's more of a personal build than one to release, but if I feel it trumps the KE model, I will release it. Now, I won't go and release a model intentionally that is offered in an expansion pack. I don't have any of them, so I can't compare. I have backed out of a model or two for this very reason.
right everyone has their choice , but personally for me the more we have for the sim even within same models offered in the sim , the versions or flight physics will all be different as well as Color schemes and model sizes , its all good 8)
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 PM

Thanks PT-17 and downloading and extracting Add Ons

Thanks to adrenoline 60, csgill75, opjose, 12oclockhigh, and all that took their time and effort to reply to my thread. adrenoline 60 your procedure for downloading and extracting the add ons worked. cdgill75 I downloaded and "flew" the Stearman EA you suggested. Now, in order for the biplane to match the cropdusters that flew over my home when I was growing up, I would like to change the color of everything to yellow and place only registration numbers on it. But that's something for me to do when I become more familiar with the software. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM

Any pics. of the plane/ CS that your referring to.??
Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Probably something like this :

I am partial to the recall colorscheme which we have for the expansion pack Stearman.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the procedure works for windows 8.x too.
Iv got some fond memories, of the PT-17 Stearman crop-duster, myself. The guy who used to dust around here,(70's) in cranberry country, had the Blue, Yellow, plane. The only graphics on it, though, were the hand drawn maps, and diagrams, on the yellow wings. He flew, pretty much, with no instruments. Great guy, even took me up once.
Like 12oclock said, the Mega Pack, has the Stearman (EA),(originally from expansion pack 2) that is the base, for many corresponding swap file, AV's, and CS's.
Swap Page File Types:
EA=Entire Aircraft,
AV=Aircraft Variant, (AVs can be variants of purchased or Swap Page aircraft)
CS=Color Scheme. (CSs - ditto note above)
AV and CS files need the specified EA file to exist as a Stock/EP (expansion pack)/MP (mega pack) aircraft to work.

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 01-14-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Be a bit careful there with what works with what. Just buying the mega pack might not get certain AV and CS files to work. Read the download page for each one to see what the requirements are.

And (like in this case) the EA entire aircraft is available on the swaps pages. Usually, but not always, the swap modelers do not duplicate an aircraft that is available from RF. Some iconic aircraft like the Mustang and Corsair are modeled by several individuals. The swap pages Corsair(s) is/are awesome. The modeling process has much improved since the first add-ons and expansion packs were created.

Add-on packs are free. Expansion and Mega Packs need to be purchased.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-14-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Probably something like this :

Nice! Where is that from? MS-X?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: