Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
You're planes always fly superbly technoid. I love how this one handles. I'm hoping Doug will do something with that EA Havoc just posted as it really needs a physics overhaul. I'm still working on getting to that level.
Thanks.. ha, all I do is what Doug taught me. He beat me in shape when we first started working together I learned tons from him. From my point of view he should have gotten a developer copy of RF-8 too. He's done so much for lots of people and planes. He may not model but he sure makes the models great!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 PM

So it truly looks like I am wasting my time ... messing around doing my rivets ... no need, if two others are doing them. I am not into stepping on others toes. Those you are doing is good enough.

Last edited by DDawg; 05-21-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
So it truly looks like I am wasting my time ... messing around doing my rivets ... no need, if two others are doing them. I am not into stepping on others toes. Those you are doing is good enough.
Well I think your method is very cool and you should do it like I said before. I think most people prefer the method you use because it gives depth to the panel lines and rivets so I don't think you're wasting your time at all. You can use that method on all the color schemes you create, so to me I think you should finish it up and release your color schemes using it. But there's also people that want to do it different ways so we'll have a bunch of cool stuff for the plane. There's room for all of us to create our own stuff.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 PM

Well said!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible2g View Post
Well said!
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 AM

Lincoln was just a high priced Ford!
With DDawg, you get what you don't pay for!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:04 PM

Well I guess I'm finished with the rivets and I suppose the CS looks better with them. Here's a picture but of course I can't go back enough to see the whole plane or the rivets kind of disappear. I haven't reduced the opacity of the lines and rivets yet and I'll play with that next, but I might not go all the way down to 45% this time. I have a little thing I want to try out in the cockpit, maybe, and then I'll be finished. Boy it will be nice to finally be done and upload it to the swap pages.

COMMENT: I think this plane is my best yet but it has highlighted lots of things I need to do better. But this is about as good as I get 'I think'. Not as good as I want but better than I thought I'd be.

Having said that I invite any comments you have on things " I didn't do right " Whether to a small degree or large degree I welcome the constructive criticism. Don't mince words say it like it is.

I'll give an example. There's something wrong with the VStab everything you put on it is larger than any of the other parts I had to cut the width of the panel lines from 3 pixels wide to 2 pixels wide to make them look the same as the rest of the plane. I also had to make the rivets smaller to look the same too. I GUESS when I adjusted the Size of the VStab during mapping it wasn't the same proportion as the rest of the plane. I try to adjust the reletive size of the parts to be correct but I must have done the VStab wrong. So comments are welcome about anything on this plane.

The fuselage also has a lot of stretching as you go around the top so I needed to at least have three sections to the fuselage instead of just two halves. The stretching is really bugging me, badly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8F-2 Bearcat 106.jpg (218.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 PM

I just fixed a problem that might have caused the problem DDawg posted pictures of the canopy frame, at least it caused a problem for me and I hope it fixes his problem too. Here's a before and after picture of what the bottom of the canopy frame looked like when I added a black border around it, or stripe if you will. The problem was caused by having a cut in the canopy frame that didn't go all the way across. I added the cut all the way across and the miss-matched polygon was fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8F-2 Bearcat 107.jpg (71.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg F8F-2 Bearcat 108.jpg (68.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM

Reminds me of the cut-out records you could buy cheap at the discount store. They had that notch cut out of the cardboard. I doubt many of the younger crowd know what I'm talking about. Nice fix technoid.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 PM

I think that you put in your heart and soul into this aircraft, and you did an outstanding job!,I just can't wait for you to put it on the swaps, I enjoyed all of the betas that you posted, this aircraft flies great in RF-8 and I enjoyed every moment flying it!
Ron
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
I noticed the problem when I put an outline on the canopy and the frame. Did not worry too much me seeing it was at the back.
Opps.. I didn't try it in RF-X and your picture shows two bad areas, one on the bottom frame that one doesn't move (the one I fixed) and another on the top frame. I just looked and it doesn't show up as a problem in RF-8 but there's another area on the top frame so I'll need to fix it too. Checkout my next post.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Oh well.. another day, another beta. This one should be very close to release but from a picture asj5547 just uploaded I have another problem like the one I fixed that only shows up in RF-X, so I'll fix it next. Right now if I'd quite finding little things to fix I'd say it's ready to upload to the swaps, so it's very close now. But I better fix what I can before uploading it.

Anyway here's a beta for you to play with, here's some of the changes.

1.Reworked the panel lines to make them thinner.
2. Added rivets.
3. Darkened the blue to make it more like the real plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8F-2 Bearcat 112.jpg (312.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by technoid; 06-17-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 PM

First, I`ve got too echo what everyone has said about this plane Tech. great job, Second, Doug was asking about doing rivets in/with GIMP. SO, Doug, here`s some quick instructions. In the pic. (#`d red arrows, 1,2,3)just follow that path, and click on #3 (brushes), A window will pop up (ON THE SCREEN)with all your brush options (be sure expand the window to see all of them), At the bottom of the window, you`ll see "spacing", with a slide adjuster (green arrow #2 to your right)........To the left, your line is solid, moving it to the right, you`ll start getting spacing, more to the right= more spacing, as always, your width, or in this case dot size is adjustable withe size you`d choose in the normal way with any brush. NOW, you can also access this via your tool box as well (see green arrows) click on the little arrow #1, in the window that appears, highlight "add tabs", you`ll get the same menu as the previous method, ONLY this time, it appears on/in your toolbox. These are called "dockable dialogs" this one appears as a black spot in a square (next to the brush). You can add as many as you want to your toolbox(I think ) and switch between them just by clicking on the particular icon. Foe example, In this pic. I`ve got the brush (shows what you`re using) and the brushes icon (which gives you brush types). Also want to add, that if you want to move that particular "dockable diolog "OUT" of your toolbox, just left click and hold on (in this case/pic.) "brushes" (under the icons), and drag it out of the toolbox, release left button on the mouse, and it will be on your screen, where you moved it too. SO, play with this and let me know what you got. Thanks Tech. for being lenient by letting us ask and post in your thread (with off topic query`s and answers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot249.jpg (211.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
same i agree with everyone on the F8F Bearcat build , ok good thanks ut , i'll play around with that in gimp .
Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Thumbs up

Tech, you are clearly a perfectionist and much too hard on yourself. I thought your Bearcat looked and flew great 10 pages ago, yet you continue to improve your masterpiece. Take a bow and a break. You have earned both.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: