Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM

Kill/Restart Engine(s)

One feature I've always kinda wanted is the ability to restart the engines after killing them without having to reset/respawn. Even having the K key cycle through kill/start would be nice. Anyone else ?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Why not just adjust your throttle settings in the editor. There must be a way too set your idle to the point that the engine/motor isn`t running with your throttle stick all the way down. It might take some experimenting/trial & error too get it dialed in nicely, so it works good in a re-spawn situation as well. BUT, I gotta ask, Why do you want that option ???

Last edited by uncle twist; 04-12-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM

I would like it especially for float planes. You can't just anchor somewhere. It's not a big deal but I think it would be something they could easily implement.

I have noticed on the electric planes if you kill the engine it will restart on a throttle up and down once you land/touch ground. I don't know if that's on purpose or just a fluke. You don't even have to come to a complete stop.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:39 PM

Well, having flown real life electrics, I can say, it`s real easy to set them up that way, it`s just a matter of your throttle/trim settings/adjustments in your TX. just not possible with real life gas engines. But, in the end, you buy RF to learn how to fly RC planes, as you would in real life situations.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:55 PM

This model has engine start up feature, will check tomorrow if stop/start again works.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=24354
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
This model has engine start up feature, will check tomorrow if stop/start again works.
it is based on an electric motor and it is terribly over propped and would quickly fail IRL

Last edited by legoman; 04-19-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Fixed a miss spelling
Old 04-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
i have tried to do the engine stop and start from the throttle if you make a custom engine and set the throttle idle and torque % as low as it can go and in editor ( throttle channel 3 ) up the trim to + 10 or so it will shut off with throttle but will not start with throttle but when in the air and the prop is still turning at all it will throttle up , long story short is i think the only way is to use an Electric motor with gas engine sound
Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 PM

turboprop and turbines will restart if you rewind (press and hold reset), electrics restart if the throttle is returned to idle and then reapplied. And Internal combustion engine will restart if the torque curve extends to 0 rpm, has >0 torque and you rewind
Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Over propped - Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
it is based on an electric motor and it is terrible over propped and would quickly fail IRL
Legoman … First thanks for your contributions of airplane designs posted. I have enjoyed the scale and detail touches. I particularly enjoy military airplanes, and love to make my own variants. Do not wish at this time, to learn the software to create my own, so please keep the models coming.

With that note:
I realize my plane variations are not for everyone. They have been criticized for not being real RC planes, nor were they intended to be. I use X-Plane and other simulators, but being an RC pilot, my preference is Real Flight. I love scale.
I'm retired now and this fills in the gaps during winter.
In the past I have tried to contribute to those that are like minded, but because of negative comments and not much interest (downloads low) I have since refrained from posting my variants. I have over 120 aircraft variants (some amphibian) completed now in RF 7.5 and converting to 8.0.

Sorry you didn't find my variants propped correctly or to an "IRL" standard. I've been experimenting with variable pitch props (wish they were more available for large RC models), and it's their nature to have great pulling power, hence their use.
If the engine power setting is modified in the editor, the planes may not be as over-propped. But the variable pitch prop should still work. ( I like my variants fast … can always cut throttle)
I also change the flying characteristics for higher stall speeds so they need to be "flown" into landing as most aircraft. (my preference but not necessarily RC related).
So you can see, we have different agenda for our variants.
Hope you post more of your fine work … still enjoy modifying and learning from others.

Last edited by PilotAt6; 04-20-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAt6 View Post
Legoman First thanks for your contributions of airplane designs posted. I have enjoyed the scale and detail touches. I particularly enjoy military airplanes, and love to make my own variants. Do not wish at this time, to learn the software to create my own, so please keep the models coming.

With that note:
I realize my plane variations are not for everyone. They have been criticized for not being real RC planes, nor were they intended to be. I use X-Plane and other simulators, but being an RC pilot, my preference is Real Flight. I love scale.
I'm retired now and this fills in the gaps during winter.
In the past I have tried to contribute to those that are like minded, but because of negative comments and not much interest (downloads low) I have since refrained from posting my variants. I have over 120 aircraft variants completed now in RF 7.5 and converting to 8.0.

Sorry you didn't find my variants propped correctly or to an "IRL" standard. I've been experimenting with variable pitch props (wish they were more available for large RC models), and it's their nature to have great pulling power, hence their use.
If the engine power setting is modified in the editor, the planes may not be as over-propped. But the variable pitch prop should still work. ( I like my variants fast can always cut throttle)
I also change the flying characteristics for higher stall speeds so they need to be "flown" into landing as most aircraft. (my preference but not necessarily RC related).
So you can see, we have different agenda for our variants.
Hope you post more of your fine work still enjoy modifying and learning from others.
I reread my post pertaining to your aircraft. and realized wow putting a 'e' instead of a 'y' really changed they meaning I was trying to say. 60 amp motor would not last long 280 amp
Old 04-20-2019, 07:12 AM

I have a gas engine 55cc on a plane where I can stop the engine and restart mid-air. So, it can be done.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 PM

60 Amp Motor at 280 Amps - Not long for this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I reread my post pertaining to your aircraft. and realized wow putting a 'e' instead of a 'y' really changed they meaning I was trying to say. 60 amp motor would not last long 280 amp
Legoman your 100% correct. I don't follow electric's, so I'm not familiar with the different motors. I just settled on one I could use to accomplish my goal. That goal was slow prop turn until start-up (start/stop - emphasis on slow prop turn) and enough guts to fly my plane variants while experimenting with a variable pitch prop. I even had to use RF's edit feature of 400% power (how unrealistic) to gain enough power in some instances.

I would like to draw less amperage ( longer flights, less battery weight).
Any suggestions on "proper" motor choice is welcome ! (large scale of 10 ft.+ wingspan)
Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions on "proper" motor choice is welcome ! (large scale of 10 ft.+ wingspan)
To draw less I usually pick a motor with a lower KV rating. You can also change gearing to something else than 1:1. I always try to make things as real world as possible. Look at the bottom of the Hacker list of motors and you will probably find some motors to try.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAt6 View Post
Legoman your 100% correct. I don't follow electric's, so I'm not familiar with the different motors. I just settled on one I could use to accomplish my goal. That goal was slow prop turn until start-up (start/stop - emphasis on slow prop turn) and enough guts to fly my plane variants while experimenting with a variable pitch prop. I even had to use RF's edit feature of 400% power (how unrealistic) to gain enough power in some instances.

these are about the biggest motors (hacker Q-100 motor) I know of finding engines bigger than these is pretty difficult. surfing the rest of this site you can find other sizes of motors. but finding electric motors bigger than 200 cc has proven difficult
Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Will Try Hacker … That was one I thought may work. In a rush, I used what worked, but knew it was unrealistic. Put out many models in short timespan, and now trying to teach my grandson aerodynamics and RC flying, using RF. Gave him my 7.5 with controller, while I work with RF8.
Really could use a custom model conversion program.
Excited to get my grandson involved.

Thanks for the input !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: