Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 02-13-2001, 09:36 PM

Copy Protection

I had the same problem stormbringer's client mentioned regarding the CD. For some reason, my 2-year old 32x drive wouldn't work, and I kept getting a cryptic "Error in module ~DMM42B" or similar.

On a whim, I tried putting the CD in my HP 9350 CD-RW drive. No problems.

I'm sure that making a backup copy of the G2 cd is in clear violation of the license agreement, but considering the need to continually swap disks out sure puts the media we have at risk.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:32 PM

There are ways to use your G2 without the discs in the drive. However I am not too sure if we can discuss them here but I do want to say that at the prices of these discs (I paid US$347 for the G2 with a mode 1 Transmitter and the two add-on discs), most of us just cannot afford to damage them or have them scratched, thus we need to keep them safe somewhere.

I am not for pirated CDs but my concern is what if my discs get damaged, where do I change them and with whom? Will my local store do it for me? Send my disc all the way from South East Asia to the US for an exchange? The waiting time alone will kill me not to mention additional $$$$$

[This message was edited by EMan on 04-04-01 at .]
Old 04-17-2001, 07:48 AM

Copy Protection

I too object to having to keep a stack of CD-ROMs in front of my computer because RealFlight may demand any one of them at any given time--at least I have never had to swap CDs in the middle of a flight.

Copy protection schemes reflect the developer/publisher's belief that everyone with a computer wants to use their program, and will do so without paying for the program if at all possible. Without copy protection, they believe, the entire world will be using the product and their only income will be from the few suckers who purchase it. All of those pirated copies, they believe, represent lost income.

It is evident that this is not the case. The fact is that most applications appeal to relatively small groups of users, and the market for any given program is limited. No one can deny that a few users will make illegal copies of programs, and a few of those will even use the program more than once or twice. But those illegal copies do not represent lost sales. No one other than a dedicated RC'er would pay $250 for RealFlight or anything like it. No one other than a dedicated RC'er would even give up the disk space it takes to install RealFlight, even if it were free.

Note that Flight Simulator has no copy protection scheme, nor does Windows! And, who makes the most money--Knife Edge/Real Flight/Great Planes, or Microsoft?

I say that for every good copy protected program, there is an equally good non-protected program that generates more income for its developer.

Now, I suppose that RC'ers could be the most perverse group of people on the planet and thus deserve copy protection.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:44 AM
Derek8819

backup?

Stormbringer drop me a email at rousseau@charter.net Thanks I have some questions
Old 10-01-2001, 11:38 AM
apex

Contact

Stormbringer how can i get ahold of you?
icq is 153246
aim is maestro72x
and email is augustfyoung@hotmail.com
please contact me

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stormbringer:
DJ V don't even get them started on that line of thought. Hardware dongles suck - most of the time they work ok but when they don't you're screwed and can't use a product you paid over $200.00 for. That is not right. As a computer consultant I encounter these situations on an almost daily basis - sometimes with software that costs well over $3000 a copy.

What the software producers need to do is start respecting the consumers of their expensive products and forget their fancy and expensive "copy-protection"/anti-piracy schemes and just produce good software without all the tricks. I just had the nasty experience of being unable to install G2 on a client's computer whose ACER 50X CDROM drive didn't like his new "original" G2 cd (even though it read other disks fine). His original G2 disk worked fine in my CDROM Drive at home. I had to sell him a new 52X Samsung CDROM drive just to install and run G2. Boy was he pissed at Great Planes/ Knife Edge for that and I can't blame him.

Get over the paranoia of piracy folks. The disks can be copied so you wasted your money on Macrovision's Safedisk 2. In fact I can copy my original G2 disk without any problem and can use it in any of my CDROM drives at home. I use the copy instead of my legitimately purchased original G2 CD in case it gets scratched or damaged. And I know that I am not alone. Now for a piece of advice: If I were you guys at Knife Edge I would forget spending the money on Macrovision's anti-copying technology crap and put that money into refining the RealFlight Sim. You only piss off legitimate users of your products with this crap on your disk and I almost told my client to send his copy of G2 back - in fact he was ready to do so before I stepped in. Remember this: I won't hesitate to let a client send his copy back next time this happens. Maybe then you will get the message.

Don't get me wrong, I like G2. In fact, I like it alot. But that being said I hate this whole copy protection crap. It wreaks havoc with many "potential" users of your products and pisses off additional sales. The whole copy protection thing is a joke and you need to know it. All PC CD's can be copyied!!! And don't think they can't. Don't waste your money on this crap. Instead give us a better/more refined product in the future. If not I will be downloading and installing FMS's freeware rc flight sim for future clients and shy them away from RF.[/quote]
Old 11-27-2001, 08:07 PM

check out www.cdfreaks.com

Two important URLs:

http://nbm.cdfreaks.com/document.php3?Doc=52

http://nbm.cdfreaks.com/document.php3?Doc=58

I just used the BetaBlocker suggestion(www.geocities.com/cdbeta)along with CloneCD (both shareware) to backup one of my game CDs that was protected with SafeDisc v2. For those of us with CD writers that do not support EFM encoding (most of us), this combination will enable the backup safedisc protected CDs with standard CD writers.

There are several options/alternatives presented to defeat SafeDisk.

Since the EULA I have for RF does not provide for media replacement after 90 days, I am concerned that I am restricted to one original copy of the software. The EULA does not provide for creating backup copies nor does it obligate KE to provide replacement copies after 90 days. I understand you do so out of goodwill today; that may not always be the case. Scott, with your permission, I'd like to make a backup copy of my software.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:17 AM
riven

Virtual CD

http://www.virtualcd-online.com/

I have used this program to transfer G2 and
add-ons to my hardisk.

Old 01-09-2002, 04:20 AM

I am so glad I only have to have one Cd in..

But still.. I'm using my CD-burner as a regular CD drive .. So I hope I don't wear this drive out I just bought it.. Err.. I do think this copy protection sucks..

There has to be a better way.

Dave
Old 05-31-2002, 05:40 AM

Are the disks copyable? If you are good at copying software, you could just make a back-up copy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: