Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot error View Post
update on updater.. let it run over night along with a program to install updated with out internet..
something happened to put everything back to factory defaults... it dosnt look like anything is lost, just settings and most of the things i had on the desktop is not there.. program is still running,
maybe it will put everything back in the end... no big deal.. just a little annoying, scary ..

thanks again you guys..
I'll be starting on a fresh install of Windows 7 this morning and hoped it would be finished overnite, bummer they really should fix that.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Some of the stuff I've read says that if you install 2 particular updates BEFORE you connect a network cable, the updates won't take forever. But if you've already connected the network cable, they won't help. I don't recall exactly which 2 updates you need, though. I finally gave up and just wait it out.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
Some of the stuff I've read says that if you install 2 particular updates BEFORE you connect a network cable, the updates won't take forever. But if you've already connected the network cable, they won't help. I don't recall exactly which 2 updates you need, though. I finally gave up and just wait it out.
I don't know what the deal is but I installed my copy of Windows 7 Professional this morning expecting to have to wait overnight for the updates to happen but after I installed the chipset, audio, lan, and video drivers and 7zip I decided to start the update process and as soon as I opened up Windows Update there was a list of 207 updates in the list waiting for me to start the download process. The other system I did that waited forever was Windows 7 Home Premium so I don't know what the deal is. But none-the-less I'm happy to have it going right away instead of having to wait forever. The downloads are going pretty fast too it's already past 63 and not taking too long for each one. So I'm blessed!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
GREAT! Most of the machines I set up are retired university/hospital/business machines, so they're usually Pro, but it doesn't seem to be version specific. And it didn't start happening routinely until something changed a year or so ago. About 1/2 of them seemed to do it until I got the disk copier to bypass the problem. It drove me NUTS! I initially thought something was wrong/intermittent with my network or internet connection. MS doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it since everything new is shipping with 10.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
GREAT! Most of the machines I set up are retired university/hospital/business machines, so they're usually Pro, but it doesn't seem to be version specific. And it didn't start happening routinely until something changed a year or so ago. About 1/2 of them seemed to do it until I got the disk copier to bypass the problem. It drove me NUTS! I initially thought something was wrong/intermittent with my network or internet connection. MS doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it since everything new is shipping with 10.
Yeah no kidding.. but I wish they would fix it. But at least I got all the updates installed fast.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM

Fixed and fixed!! First I restored my desktop files and everything else by means of previous version settings (so I was able to repair the repair) then the updater did work after 1.5 hrs, glacial... perfect description, glacial... it really seemed to be broken but it will move.. eventually ...

Thank you guys so much for all your help.

Out for delivery today, 650w power supply unit and gtx 1070 graphics card can't wait!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Fixed and fixed!! First I restored my desktop files and everything else by means of previous version settings (so I was able to repair the repair) then the updater did work after 1.5 hrs, glacial... perfect description, glacial... it really seemed to be broken but it will move.. eventually ...

Thank you guys so much for all your help.

Out for delivery today, 650w power supply unit and gtx 1070 graphics card can't wait!
Very nice I'm sure you'll enjoy the 1070, which one did you get? And I forget what CPU and How much memory do you have?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM

I went with the went with the MSI 8gb armor. the CPU is a 3+ year old i7 2.8ghz with 8gb of ram Which is half of what I could use...

The verdict is. ... disappointing ... 500$ later and rfx is running well enough to fly at the lowest settings but still stuttering ...
I guess I could spend another 100$ on more ram.. the grass field does help..

Last edited by Pilot error; 01-14-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 PM

I have been watching the RAM issue. I am seeing about 6Gb being used without any other software open. But that is who knows what stuff I have running in the background that you do not.

I have 12Gb currently installed. GTX460 graphics card... getting a lot of stuttering. When things allow, I will be upgrading the video card. In the mean time, I will be using RF7.5. This whole equation is a balancing act. Fast Processor, Fast Ram, Fast Graphics. There are bottlenecks in any or all of these thing.

No big deal. I really want a complete new machine but car repairs put that off for a while. Ouch!!

Publicly... Thanks OpJose for the help.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 01-14-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I went with the went with the MSI 8gb armor. the CPU is a 3+ year old i7 2.8ghz with 8gb of ram Which is half of what I could use...

The verdict is. ... disappointing ... 500$ later and rfx is running well enough to fly at the lowest settings but still stuttering ...
I guess I could spend another 100$ on more ram.. the grass field does help..
That's a nice 1070 I looked at one of those too I ended up getting the MSI 1070 Gamer X because of the huge heatsink fan on it. I wanted the quietest solution I could get and it does help. Of course both are quite. I think you need both a new processor and more ram. I tell you what I was going to do before I decided to get a full upgrade I was going to get the i7 4790 and the GTX 1070 since I already had 32 gig of ram. I'll know more about the stuttering issue once I finish installing all my applications and make my second system image and install RF 7.5 and RF-X. What I do is install windows and all the updates and make a basic system image and then install all my applications and make a full system image. That way I can reimage my system to get it fresh anytime I want. I keep the basic system image just in case I want to install a different application base. I normally use the same applications these days so I only use the second system image with all my applications on it. I'm working on that now but I have lots of stuff to install so I'm not quite finished yet. I ran into a problem last night with one of the older programs I use not liking 64-bit windows so I had to work through that but I got it going this morning so I can get back to installing stuff. I'm getting there I'm just slow.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:02 PM

Well the wife saw I wasn't happy with my new toy and got me another one 16gb of faster ram and RFX is seemingly exactly as it was.. around 4-20 fps. Now I'm just to frustrated to let it go..
Like ahab I'm sure I'll be at microcenter at some point this week buying a new processor and mother board... maybe tomorrow .. I should just wait till my tax return. RF7.5 is running like a dream all settings maxed out. (Better that at the hobby shop keyosk)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: