Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Curtiss JN-4D Jenny

I spent most of the day searching the web for pictures of the Curtiss JN-4D Jenny. I also found a set of plans to use so I thought I'd start a build thread with those. The first thing I need to do is cut out all the parts and create a template I can use for 3ds Max. Once that's finished I can create all the parts to the plan as I go. I just finished my other build so I need a break before I jump into this one, so I don't know when I'll get going on it. But soon I hope. Here's the plans I found I'll post an update after I create the 3ds Max template. Oh.. these plans don't show the rigging but I'll create that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenny Page 1.jpg (198.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Jenny Page 2.jpg (177.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 AM

Here is another plan with wires.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5953

Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Here is another plan with wires.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5953
Thanks! I actually had two plans the other one was from there, but it's not that one. I like the way the one I'm using is laid out the best and I've been working on it this morning and have everything cut out and moved to a template. I'll post a picture of it soon I'm finishing it up right now. But thanks for checking on it for me I can use this one for the wire placement. Ha.. sometimes looking at the Jenny it looks like it's made with wires.

Last edited by technoid; 07-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM

Both You guys guys have the same plans I was going to post !! LOL!!!

I have close-up shots of the Radiator, engine, control surfaces etc I'll post later...dont want to rush you
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Both You guys guys have the same plans I was going to post !! LOL!!!

I have close-up shots of the Radiator, engine, control surfaces etc I'll post later...dont want to rush you
Go ahead and post them I'd like to see them reference material is always good.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 PM

This needs a flat bottom airfoil.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
This needs a flat bottom airfoil.
Yes it does I'll create the wings per the plan. I just finished making the template I'll use in 3ds Max from both sheets of the plan and will post it next. This will be a scale plane (not my usual) so I'll be paying close attention to things like that, but please help me out when you see me missing the mark.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
the planes you have look good and yes its an under cambered airfoil for sure
Old 07-25-2017, 07:04 PM

Moto, if you think rigging a Jenny is hard, try doing an old 3 masted ship, YIKES !!!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Moto, if you think rigging a Jenny is hard, try doing an old 3 masted ship, YIKES !!!
Inside a BOTTLE no less!!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM

OUCH !!!, So you had to play your one-upmanship card eh, that was a stinger
Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
OUCH !!!, So you had to play your one-upmanship card eh, that was a stinger
No, I never did the ship in a bottle thing.....I made a mess of Revels Plastic "USS Constitution" with moms sewing thread (too thick, wrong color, sagging), cried my eys out for days, and never went back to sailing ships...thats for "professionals"!!

Tanks and airplanes... firecrackers, match-heads, and that (flammable!) red-metal-tube of Testors Model Glue....I had a whole "special effects" career planned out long before the first Star Wars movie..... then these dang computers came along and ruined EVERYTHING!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM

Jenny Engines and Radiators...

For those interested in All The Nuances, this is not a perfect explanation but it will get you more than halfway there....

The Original Curtiss OX-5 engine was often called an accident waiting to happen...1912-1915 engine technology, exposed valve gear, REALLY primitive fuel and ignition systems, leaky water pump right above the carb.....eeesh!

By the middle-late 1920's, the OX-5 was obsolete and spares were getting hard to find....Hispano-Suiza had several popular, reliable airplane engines on the market, and many (most?) Barnstorming, Mail Carrying, and early Passenger Service Jenny's were eventually re-fitted with one...

Basically, if you see a Jenny with exposed valve gear (springs, levers shafts etc) sticking out in the open, its an OX-5 engine....if you see a modern-looking valve COVER on the engine, its a "Hisso"

Lots of Restored Jennys run with a "period correct" Hisso instead of an absolutely, 100% "factory correct" OX-5 power-plant, simply because there are more vintage Hisso engines out there...

As for 3-d modeling of the engine, go with the Hisso....gotta be easier to render (and paint!) and the valve gear would not be that noticeable anyway!

Radiators.....The Jenny Radiator was brass, with a rounded top and a noticeable filler neck and cap. The sides and bottom were flat, matching the "squareness" of the fuse cowling...

There are vintage pictures (and real-life restorations) that have rounded/oval shaped radiators, but thats not original... they tend to show up in later Jennys with replacement engines...for instance, the Rhinebeck Jenny runs a Hisso and round bottom radiator. Was the flat-side radiator too small to begin with, or do the Hissos need more cooling area?

I dont know, but it looks a little funny to me from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

I like the original flat-sides, because all the models I built as a kid were that way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenny radiator.jpg (18.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Jenny Radiator 2.jpg (238.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg OX5 square radiator.jpg (80.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hisso Round Rad.jpg (338.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Moto-Guzzi; 07-25-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Moto-Guzzi

Thanks for all the pictures they help. It will definitely be the square radiator and the engine I'm not quite sure of yet but the modern engine would certainly be the easiest one to model.. so we'll see. Have you seen the Bi-Plane I designed, the Big Red on the swaps it has some nice rigging I think. I also modeled a nice radial for it.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...d%2001_C5X.jpg
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...d%2002_kvx.jpg
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Can we live without the King Posts?

Absolutely....Like I said, the rigging starts to take on a life of its own...one wire leading to the next until its all just WAY TOO MUCH.

How to put "some" without copying "all" is a level of artistic ability I'll leave to you..I'm sure it will look great

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: