Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 9 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Nice. I figured you'd pick back up on this one once the SE5a was all done.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 AM

I spent some more time on the DC-4 tonight and added the nose gear wheel well, next is the left wing gear. It's going a bit slow but I'm getting there.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:57 PM

I just finished adding the wheel well for the left wing gear which involved adding the wheel well to the inner Nacelle and cutting out an area of the wing to make room for it. So next I'll need to mirror all of that to the right side. Here's a picture for you.

A heads up if you've done a CS for the DC-4. I had to rework several things to get the wing gear finished like pull down the bottom of the Inner Nacelle to make more room in back for the gear and also cut a hole in the wing to make space for the wheel well in the Nacelle. I also made the gear strut a bit shorter to make it retract better in the Nacelle. All of this to say the wing and inner Nacelle will need to be remapped so things will change some in the CS file. I'll make it as close as I can when I remap everything but things will change a bit so you might need to tweak that area of your color scheme for the final mapping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 69.jpg (122.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Turbine powered landing gear .. very cool
Old 09-22-2019, 06:09 PM

Fun Fact: The DC-4 used the same propellers as the F4U Corsair.

The Canadair NorthStar was powered by Rolls Royce Merlins and R2800s.

Airfoils root: NACA 23016; tip: NACA 23012

Last edited by brields; 09-22-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:08 PM

Well I thought I was finished with the left gear wheel wells but when I looked close the bottom of the wheel, when retracted, stuck through the gear doors in one spot a tiny bit. So I had to go back and raise everything up to fix that. I just finished fixing it so I guess I'm ready to mirror the left wing, nacelle, and gear to the right side the next time I work on it.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 PM

Been there.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Take your time or if you get bored/tired of it jump on one of the many others in progress.

My Interlink DX seems to be fine now. I did get HH to send some free parts just in case but it wasn't easy as they'd prefer to repair it themselves if needed.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 PM

I finished adding the wheel wells today so next is remapping all the changes, and there's been LOTS of changes. Here's a picture for you and if anyone is interesting in a beta so you can fly with gear doors let me know and I'll upload one. Right now I'm going to take a break so I'm not sure when I'll start remapping the changes. FYI.. A beta right now wouldn't be any good for someone working on a CS it would just let you fly the plane with gear doors. I need to remap the changes before you could do any CS work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 70.jpg (73.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
sure i'd like to try out your new beta , your DC-4 is looking very good technoid
Old 09-24-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
sure i'd like to try out your new beta , your DC-4 is looking very good technoid
Give me a bit more time I had already started mapping the wheel wells and gear doors so I could add them to the beta to get some color inside the wheel wells. Once I finish that I'll send you a beta. I'm going to take some time off after that but I wanted to fly it with the wheel wells darkened instead of being white. I need to finally upgrade my file server.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Give me a bit more time I had already started mapping the wheel wells and gear doors so I could add them to the beta to get some color inside the wheel wells. Once I finish that I'll send you a beta. I'm going to take some time off after that but I wanted to fly it with the wheel wells darkened instead of being white. I need to finally upgrade my file server.
the new beta sounds good technoid thanks
Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM

I guess you could add some wiring etc in the wheel wells as a picture on the CS. But I rarely look inside except when I crash upside down while landing.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:35 PM

I just finished mapping the wheel wells and gear doors so next I'll update the CS and SPEC MAP so I can paint them.

I did map both sides of the gear doors so you could add something to them but without remapping the wheel wells you couldn't add wiring to them because the whole wheel well is flat mapped using the x-axis so it's just a color it only type of thing.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:23 PM

I just finished updating the CS with the mapping for the gear doors and wheel wells and painted them so next I'll update the SPEC MAP and then I can send Doug a new beta. But because of the recent changes the CS file will be off until I go back and remap the other changes too. This was just to get the gear doors and wheel wells in the CS so I could fly the plane and not have the inside of the gear doors and wheel wells white.

So some of the changes still to do. I had to cut slots in the wing for the wheel wells and recently I reshapped the fuselage to align the windows down the side. So there's still quite a bit of remapping to do before I can do the final 1x1 mapping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: