Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM

All part animation is setup & working correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image05.jpg (31.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Image06.jpg (34.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Image07.jpg (34.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Image08.jpg (34.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 PM

I'm glad you got yours flying. My Modified A-Team Van never got off the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-team.jpg (250.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks Junkboy,
The Switchblade is flying, but still fairly poorly. It has a tendency to turn turtle as it seems more stable inverted than right-side up. Matt will be happy though as it is a hot one and takes a good roll out to get up to speed before you can break ground.

But then I've only been playing with the physics for an evening (while I was watching TV, and not really giving it my full attention), so I'm not ready to cry uncle.
Doug
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to flexible Send a message via AIM to flexible
Just an observation, the lift on the fuse looks greater than that of the wings and spollers. And as such, would be higher placement than that of the wing lift. If i'm corect, that would make it want to invert. If I were trying to cure this in the sim, I would turn down the lift on the fuse, and turn up the lift on the wings and spollers. I would try to find a way to incorparate conards on the wings and spollers. I would allso change the angle of attack on the wing, so it would start flying at a slower speed.

Wings 3D for dummies
Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies
Pivots in Max for Dummies
Linking the Hierarchy in Max for Dummies
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Jimmie,
Those would indeed be RF programmatic solutions, however, in keeping with the scale nature of this endeavor any modifications made must fit the model. Actual changes to airfoils (i.e. picking a new one) are acceptable, modifying the aerodynamic performance of an existing airfoil without sound engineering reason is not. Also the wing's angle of attack may be adjusted slightly, however, it must still fit into the bays when folded and a high angle of attack will be more prone to a lower and more abrupt stall (so that can be a double-edged sword).

By the way, the aircraft is a true canard with an aft non-moving rear stabilizer.

Here's a prelim. Anyone else who is good with aerodynamics, please feel free to play with it. But remember, I'm a purest when it comes to aerodynamics and any modifications must be reasonable.
Doug

Edit (7/17/2010): Aircraft has been posted to the swaps, so I removed the preliminary test file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image09.jpg (29.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Image10.jpg (29.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dhk79; 06-17-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk79
any modifications must be reasonable.
Doug
I concur. KE's content looks to all be true to the 3D model size when it comes to physics. I've seen alot of cheater surfaces on custom content.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 AM

This is one reason I try to get them in to RF and flying before I paint them. If I find that a wing is needed of needs to be moved for better flying I can move it first in the physics and them later change the 3d Model to match the physics better.

It would be kool if the forward canards would retract back in too

Last edited by Junkboy999; 06-13-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 AM

Got some more work done on the physics tonight. Pretty much changed all of the airfoils from my original selections.

I really should always do the math first rather than just eye-balling it, as I never seem to be happy with the off-the-cuff solutions. It's flying a lot better and if I get few interuptions tomorrow, may even get it finished.

Doug
Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 PM

The Switchblade is up on the swaps.

There were a couple of limitations in the physics model.
#1 since I used a geardoor function to control the motion for the wing doors, the nose wheel does not rotate in surface mode (RealFlight thinks it has been retracted).
#2 spinners do not seem to work (i.e. spin) with ducted fan blades.
#3 without having any real performance data and guessing about all the weights anyway, I did not readjust weights or add ballast to remove the CG fudge factor (it just wasn't worth the effort).

There are, however, no adjustments to lift or other performance factors on any of the parts. Nor are there any cheater wing surfaces, so in my opinion, the flying motorcycle concept is feasible.

Doug

EDIT: Followers of my models will note that I don't like to use the manual CG adjustment unless there is a sound engineering reason for its use. On this model, I think the use is justified because much of the fuselage is a fairing for aerodynamics and not for structure. As such the fuselage's center of mass is nowhere near its center of volume, so no matter how the weights are adjusted I don't think it is possible to completely remove the CG factor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image11.jpg (36.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Image12.jpg (39.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Image13.jpg (41.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by dhk79; 06-17-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk79
The Switchblade is up on the swaps.

There were a couple of limitations in the physics model.
#1 since I used a geardoor function to control the motion for the wing doors, the nose wheel does not rotate in surface mode (RealFlight thinks it has been retracted).
#2 spinners do not seem to work (i.e. spin) with ducted fan blades.
#3 without having any real performance data and guessing about all the weights anyway, I did not readjust weights or add ballast to remove the CG fudge factor (it just wasn't worth the effort).

There are, however, no adjustments to lift or other performance factors on any of the parts. Nor are there any cheater wing surfaces, so in my opinion, the flying motorcycle concept is feasible.

Doug
Doug,

Would you mind sending me a copy of your .max file to play with? I've been doing a lot of work on my models, both uploaded and behind the curtains with spinning objects. I'd like to see what I can do and send you back an EA and modified .max file if my ideas work out. It would be up to you if you like it or not.

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Sure, I don't mind. I'll send it to you in a bit.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Second clue to secret project - Recently received FAA certification as a LSA.

EDIT: Maybe I should say very recently.

Last edited by dhk79; 07-05-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM

so... you personally are a light sport aircraft?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM

LOL, feed me enough beans and it's a possibility.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Oooh Oooh Oh i think i know, pick me is it one of these. It recently got FAA certification and i saw it at EAA last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transition-flying-car-folded.jpg (132.2 KB, 17 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: