Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 03-09-2019, 05:11 PM

Junker

I thought I'd create a plane out of stuff I dream up so I'm calling it Junker. Nothing will be scale (remotely) but it is what it is. I wasn't going to do a build thread for this plane but some folks showed an interest so I changed my mind. I don't have any pictures of the plane yet but here's the start of the 4-Stoke Twin I'm creating for it. I'm not finished with the engine so it will probably change. In fact I already have some stuff in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junker 01.jpg (290.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Junker 02.jpg (268.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-09-2019, 05:18 PM

I'm sure it will have many revisions. I'm still gonna call it the Jünker
Old 03-10-2019, 04:20 AM

I added the mounting plate and stand offs and also tweaked the carburetor. I'll probably do something different with the mufflers too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junker 04.jpg (160.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 AM

If it's gonna be a Jünker it needs some mismatched parts We used to build these from leftover crash stuff and then fly around trying to hit each other in the air. Of course we had to make sure none of the field safety folks or anal members were around.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
If it's gonna be a Jünker it needs some mismatched parts We used to build these from leftover crash stuff and then fly around trying to hit each other in the air. Of course we had to make sure none of the field safety folks or anal members were around.
Yeah my 40 sized Stik got pretty randy looking at times, but then I'd go back and clean up the patches to make it look better again. But it was my go to plane so it got all the banging around. And we had the field police too that toned down the fun, err.. reckless flying I suppose it was. But then all us hotdogs would meet up separately and have a blast. Luckily the planes always crashed into the ground instead of us.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I did this all the time! I would raid the trash at the flying field to get parts. Used liberal amounts of clear tape. I had a old K&B 61 that would go on whatever it was I built and it didn't matter if it was a 20 size or 60 size plane they all got the same motor radio combo...
Old 03-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Good to see I wasn't the only one. Some of them ended up looking like "Skittles" planes with all the different colors. I had a old Royal .45 engine I would put on them. I still have it but can't find the carb anymore. Those were some of the most fun planes to fly as you really didn't care about crashing. The motor and electronics usually survived.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM

I think I'm about finished with the engine although I may go back and do something with the mufflers after I have the plane going. I haven't done much on the plane except the wing so nothing much to show there. Now I need to make some decisions on what I want the fuselage to look like. I had an idea but I'm not sure I want to go that way. So I'll think on it for a bit before I start on the fuselage.

The big change this time is I doubled the number of segments in the cylinders because they had obvious flat sides before, now they look pretty good. They only had 14 segments so doubling that really helped. Here's a pictures so you can check it out.

Ha.. It may be a Junker but the engine has to look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junker 06.jpg (154.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Looking good
Old 03-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Well I went a different way with Junker than I planned to. In the beginning what I planned was so off base to what is normal I just dropped the idea. The theme wouldn't be something you could do in real life just a hair brained idea that died do to what I think expectations would be on the swap pages. When I said a fun little project I meant you'd look at it and say 'you can't do that' but the whole plane would be that way only the engine would have looked normal. And even the twin engine I made isn't patterned 'closely' after a real engine just something that looks close to what a 4-Stroke twin looks like.

So moving into reality I started with the Stagger airframe and modifed it quite a bit. I squared off the wing tips and set the wingspan to 125.5 inches. I also made the hangover at the end of the wing much narrower than before. The HStab and VStab have also been squared off. Then I removed the cockpit and canopy and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that space. Maybe a clear bolt on top with detailed radio parts in it. Also a clear bolt on top for the gas tank area so you can see the parts in it too. I don't know just crazy stuff. Or dump that idea and make a giant box plane. I just like flying stuff I build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junker 07.jpg (93.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Looks too nice
Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 PM

I assume with the giant rudder surface your trying to improve knife edge performance correct?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Talking

LOOKS AWESOME! Like stagger and a 'somethin extra had a child!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha'Zix View Post
LOOKS AWESOME! Like stagger and a 'somethin extra had a child!
i have a something extra and i agree with your comment , should be a fun plane to 3D
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
i have a something extra and i agree with your comment , should be a fun plane to 3D
I need to buy the kit for a somethin extra at some point. The junker looks just like an amazing platform for anything to be thrown at it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: