Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-19-2000, 07:59 AM

Lock ups

Ok here goes, amd duron 700, voodoo 3 with 4.12.01.0666 dvr, als4000 sound with 4.05.00.3020 dvr, 192M sys ram,AGP has 16M. And it lock up
every say 5 mins of playing, and it locks hard, needs cpu reset. And why since my system exceeds requirements for "Optimal" operation why didn't it set my res and textures to max? If my system is not able to run smoothly then the min req for optimal must be higher? Like a dual cpu 1.4Gig,
super video card? Seems misleading. I have Tygon
MB with VIA 133 controllers. I bought all these components to run G2 and will not be happy at all
if won't.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-19-2000, 11:40 AM

rckrzy1,
From what I can see, I don't think you mentioned what type of Monitor your using. I'm only guessing here but. I think maybe your monitor is what's causing the problem. Maybe your monitor just can't handle the higher resolutions.
I can only suggest that you try to find out what resolutions your (monitor) is capable of handling.
If you don't know, then maybe try different resolution setting, start from something like 800x600 or maybe a little higher. Then if your G2 sim doesn't lock up with that resolution keep trying higher ones until your system starts locking up again. If your computer locks up with using 800x600 while running G2 then I have no suggestions or guesses at this time.
Good luck,

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 12:29 PM

It is a Tyan MB, not tygon, and the monitor is a generic 17" and I am running 800x600 now and I don't see hom my monitor would cause the system to hault, I thought it was a RX only kinda device?

My only other recent thought since last lockup
at lunch break, was it seemed to occur just as
I moved the radio gadget with my USB mouse, maybe
USB ?? Will try some more later, keep the help
coming. Aloha
Old 12-19-2000, 12:40 PM

rckrzy1,
If your monitor can handle the resolutions, the only other guess I have is that maybe your voodoo 3 3D card is what can't handle the high resolutions? Maybe a 32 or 64 MB 3d card instead of a 16 mb card? The requirements written on the G2 box for a 3D card for optimum performance suggest 16MB or MORE of RAM.

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 01:00 PM

rckrzy1,
Sorry bout saying your 3D card was a voodoo 3. Got that mixed up with another message that I was thinking of. Brrb....
But maybe your 3D card might just be the culprit?
Time to let Jim or Scott help you if your still having problems. Sorry

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 01:18 PM

rckrzy1,
My last guess, Try using 800x600x(16bit) for your resolution if you haven't already. If it works, then try higher resolution but keep it at 16 bit.

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 04:15 PM

It sounds like to me you have a hardware problem. A bad mother board chip or bad hardware card can cause a hard lockup like you are having. Since you mention the USB mouse the USB controller on the motherboard could be the problem. You say it runs for 5 minutes then locks, that could be a heat problem somwhere in the hardware too. If you computer wasn't up to running G2 it wouldn't run well all the time. Not just run fine for 5 min then lock.

I don't think you can run with max res and textures with only a 16 meg video card. I'd think it would take a bit more than that, like at least 32 meg. But, I'm not sure on this. I have a 32 meg TNT2 card and have to turn the textures down to medium.

TSk 46s
Raptor
Advance 40
Old 12-19-2000, 04:29 PM

Rckrzy1
Brrb..... you do have a voodoo 3 card! Man I'm sure getting a lot of brain fade today.
As far as the monitor's, to the best of my understanding, they do have limits as to what resolutions they can handle. If anyone else knows otherwise, could you please set me strait on this?
Thanks,

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 06:41 PM

rckryz1
Before installing and running G2, did you ever have any error messages or lock ups when running any other programs on your computer? If so, maybe hard drive damage? I've run out of guesses, hope you get it working.

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 07:31 PM

If you haven't done it for a while, try running both your scandisk and defrag programs, maybe even your disk cleanup program.

Adlai
Old 12-19-2000, 07:51 PM

Been there, done that, HD is OK, and it's only a few months old. And for the hard locks, I maybe would get one a week, not one every single time like when I run G2, RFD ran OK, just G2 doing me in. As for needing more Mem on Graphics to get max, well that's a bitch I have, if you need a 64M video card for High res and textures then the box should say you need 64M for optimal res, not 16M or more like it does. What sound cards are you folks using?
like it does now,
Old 12-20-2000, 12:58 AM

rckrzy1,
What exactly happens when your computer locks up? Do you have to run the scandisk. I ask this because shortly after I purchased my computer and with running RF and other sims, my computer would once in a while lock up, then I would have to run the scandisk program to get my computer working again. I thought it might have been something that I did wrong, like installing my 3D card incorrectly etc. Anyway I then purchased the RF Deluxe upgrade just a little after the warranty on my computer ended. After running RFD for a few times my hard drive finally met the ghost and just wouldn't work at all, it couldn't get past the scandisk program like it did before. I then purchased and installed a new hard drive and had no problems with either RF or RFD or any other sims freezing up again. That was about a year ago.
So maybe there just might be a chance that something is wrong with your computer even though its fairly new.
As far as the 3D card. I myself will be picking up either a 3Dfx voodoo4 4500 32mb AGP or a voodoo5 5500 64mb AGP if either is compatable with my computer. My computer is basically a dinosaur, a pentium II 266. If I can get one of these cards to work with my computer, it won't really to my understanding, really make to much difference from the card I have now because my computer is just not fast enough. But I'm hoping that I will be able to at least run the G2 after I install one of these cards. If after I install one of these new cards and G2 still won't work with my computer. I'm not going to sweat it. I will just keep myself busy with the RF Deluxe and the ton of other sims that I have to play around with. Then hopefully within about a year I'll be able to shell out the money for a new computer that can handle RF G2 and I'll take the 3D card that I installed and put it in my new computer and just put my old one back in the one I'm using now. For me, having to get a new 3D card and having to eventually get a new computer to be able to run RF G2, doesn't bug me. If I never heard of RF before, I still would be planning to purchase one of the 3D cards I mentioned and would still be planning to pick up a new computer in about a year or so. The cards I was talking about are now $ 150 and $ 200 and the $ 200 one was $ 300 just a short while ago and I just saw a another company selling it for $ 300 just two days ago. With any luck, they both might go down another 50 bucks in another month or so. There are a bunch of other cards out there that you might like better but I prefer the ones I just mentioned for personal reasons. Maybe you still can get G2 to work correctly and the way you prefer with the hardware you now have. But personally to me, the voodoo 3 is to slow and I already new that. But who knows, maybe its not.
Guess you need to talk to either Scott or Jim if your still having problems or your not satistied. Sorry.

Adlai
Old 12-20-2000, 01:40 AM

rckrzy1,
If you eventually find out that your computer is not the problem and you are still having the same problems you have now and it's caused by your 3D card not being fast enough. Then you probably might have a good point concerning the OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE information for a 3D card that is given for G2. I really hope you can get it to work correctly with the setup you have now.

Adlai
Old 12-20-2000, 05:31 AM

rckrzy1,

As neither Scott or Jim seem to be answering your query (I'm sure they're just very busy as they're usually very quick to respond and very helpful) why not try emailing Scott directly:

scott_kemp@knifeedge.com
Old 12-20-2000, 06:36 AM

Lockups

rckrzy1,

Please say more about your lockup problem. For example, after it locks up can you still move the cursor with your mouse? And does the keyboard still work so you can do a Ctl/Alt/Del? Is there any pattern evident yet as to what you're doing just before/when it locks? If, as you've suggested, you're using your USB mouse, can you beg or borrow a PS2 or serial mouse for a short time? Which operating system are you using? And do you get a blue screen of death or any error messages?

And most importantly, are you sure you have the latest DirectX 8.0 compatible video drivers and that they're correctly installled? IMHO, graphics card and driver incompatibility will probably prove to be the number one cause of problems with this program.

Email direct if you want.

ChefJeff

PS - Just to answer one of your questions, G2 runs fine on my (aging) system with a Celeron 366 at 550 MHz in an ABIT BM6, 128 Mb PC100, GeForce 32 Mb graphics card and Monster Sound.

CJ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: