Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-07-2001, 03:31 PM

OK.... I'm not going to enter into the philisophical discussion of copy protection. However, I will address the annoying problem of having to put your CDs in all of the time.

Let me start by saying that we want to make G2 as easy to use a possible. Shuffling multiple CDs does NOT reflect our 'easy to use' philosophy, so we'll do our best to change it.

We have some higher priority issues to deal with at present time, so please be patient.

Old 01-15-2001, 09:42 AM

Copy Protection

I have noticed that since I have been using multiplayer that I have logged 25 startup sessions without any requirement to insert anything except the G2 upgrade disk. Since I am on line when I start the program "checks in" for updates on every start up. Is it possible that this is satisfing the "verification" requirement or am I just lucky.

Doug
Old 01-16-2001, 01:00 PM

Jim - thanks for taking the trouble to reply, it's appreciated.

Phil
Old 01-17-2001, 02:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Madmax
How about having to insert the CD ( UPGRADE ONLY ) only for specific features, like multiplayer or flight instructor?? Since we don't use these features all the time, it would be less of a pain...

Maxime Michaud
Old 01-17-2001, 09:12 AM

beep

Adlai
Old 01-19-2001, 10:24 AM

Having to put in all the c.d.'s to start RF

Surely, if this problem with having to put in all the c.d.'s in all of the time to start RF is to do with this copyright issue, then how come G2 works with one c.d. in most users computors and there are only a few of us who are having problems. I have tried to send a bug report in to Knife Edge, which didnt actually work.
Old 01-20-2001, 09:29 AM

Disc swapping RF G2

Keith,

A better question yet: why do I SOMETIMES have to put all my discs in and other times not? Thought maybe rebooting changed things, but I proved this wrong empirically. Within a given boot cycle, I sometimes need to swap discs and sometimes not. It seems about even; 1/2 the time I can just put in the G2 upgrade disc and play, and other times it asks me for my RFD and add-on discs. I'm not playing any diffferent planes or fields, even.

Who knows, but it SURE IS ANNOYING!

Dennis
Old 01-20-2001, 03:19 PM

I thought I was one of the lucky ones. I haven't had to do any disk swapping until today. Will ask me to put in the Add-ons 1, but the screen won't go away until I click the 'Cancel' button. Then it asks for Add-ons 2. Same thing, so now G2 won't reconize that I have that Add-on and gives me lots of error messages.

Anyone else having problems using the upgrade feature on the control panel? I was hoping to get the newest version of G2, but I get errors. Not sure if it's my ISP or the server is down.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:58 AM

RF G2 ASKS FOR ALL THE DISCS BEFORE IT STARTS

Bourno,
Ive recently completed a downioad upgrade to the latest version of G2, everything went smoothly, except I had to register the copy of G2 first before they allowed it to go through.
The RF support line suggested that I reinstalled G2 before anything else, to resolve this disc swapping issue. But then I suppose I will have to download the upgrade once again.
Old 01-23-2001, 11:47 PM

why not utilize a hardware key? (dongle)
just curious
DJ
Old 01-25-2001, 09:13 PM

I must add my money's worth too. If you end up needing a new CD for say the $99 upgrade cd,that's $10 plus $7shipping, that is 17% of the software cost, and this is for the hardware that really should not be needed, after all we bought the software, not a consumable item that wears out like a CD, the software should load and that's it, put the delivery vehicle away.

Adam
Old 02-12-2001, 10:47 AM

ok time to clairify how it is going to work if you send your disk(s) into great planes. First if your disk is damaged, cracked, scratched, glued to part of your table, all you need to do is to send the disk into great planes, and they will replace a damaged disk for you at no cost. If you have an old version of the software, say you have v1.10.163, and want to exchange that disk for a v1.20.191 disk, then they will charge you $10 US for the exchange of this disk, since the program is not damaged in any way. For those of you that want to send in your realflight, realflight deluxe, whatever disk and the G2 update disk, and exchange them for a full version disk of G2, all you need to do is just send the disks in, with a note as to that regard. There is no charge for an exchange of this type either. Please note that no matter what, you must ship the disk in yourself, and pay for that shipping. In most cases that is all that you need to pay for. Please note that in order to exchange for the full version of G2, you must send in a full version of realflight, and the G2 update disk as well as their origional cd jewel cases.
Old 02-12-2001, 01:59 PM

Will it be possible to make the (RFD + G2 upgrade)
--> (Full G2) switch at your local dealer? Or at the distributor in your country?
Old 02-13-2001, 12:10 AM

DJ V don't even get them started on that line of thought. Hardware dongles suck - most of the time they work ok but when they don't you're screwed and can't use a product you paid over $200.00 for. That is not right. As a computer consultant I encounter these situations on an almost daily basis - sometimes with software that costs well over $3000 a copy.

What the software producers need to do is start respecting the consumers of their expensive products and forget their fancy and expensive "copy-protection"/anti-piracy schemes and just produce good software without all the tricks. I just had the nasty experience of being unable to install G2 on a client's computer whose ACER 50X CDROM drive didn't like his new "original" G2 cd (even though it read other disks fine). His original G2 disk worked fine in my CDROM Drive at home. I had to sell him a new 52X Samsung CDROM drive just to install and run G2. Boy was he pissed at Great Planes/ Knife Edge for that and I can't blame him.

Get over the paranoia of piracy folks. The disks can be copied so you wasted your money on Macrovision's Safedisk 2. In fact I can copy my original G2 disk without any problem and can use it in any of my CDROM drives at home. I use the copy instead of my legitimately purchased original G2 CD in case it gets scratched or damaged. And I know that I am not alone. Now for a piece of advice: If I were you guys at Knife Edge I would forget spending the money on Macrovision's anti-copying technology crap and put that money into refining the RealFlight Sim. You only piss off legitimate users of your products with this crap on your disk and I almost told my client to send his copy of G2 back - in fact he was ready to do so before I stepped in. Remember this: I won't hesitate to let a client send his copy back next time this happens. Maybe then you will get the message.

Don't get me wrong, I like G2. In fact, I like it alot. But that being said I hate this whole copy protection crap. It wreaks havoc with many "potential" users of your products and pisses off additional sales. The whole copy protection thing is a joke and you need to know it. All PC CD's can be copyied!!! And don't think they can't. Don't waste your money on this crap. Instead give us a better/more refined product in the future. If not I will be downloading and installing FMS's freeware rc flight sim for future clients and shy them away from RF.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:14 AM

Stormbringer is right. People who wan't to cope a game or program always finds a way to do it. There doesn't matter how smart the copy protection is. There is always someone who is smarter and finds out a crack to bypass the protection.

Skip the copy protection. Modify you transmitter box so it uses the transmitter interface and not the gameport. I would think that it is harder to make a copy of the transmitter interface, than to break the copy protection on the disk. And even if someone finds a way to reproduce the interface there is not as many people who knows how to build it. But almost everyone knows how to use a CD burner and a crack to make a copy of a disc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: