Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Degraded Graphics

A few days ago I noticed that a close up view of a plane or heli was not as sharp as it used to be. Vertical and horizontal lines are normal, but any diagonal lines, such as around a canopy, and any lettering, is no longer smooth but looks like a staircase of pixels. Small print on the plane is now unreadable, where before I could do close up screen shots, and the graphics were fine. I've done an upgrade on my video driver and searched through the G2 program for any graphics adjustments with no changes. Have I missed something? I don't know what caused this, and I first noticed this when I was getting slow frame rates. Frame rates are fine now (60 FPS in the sky) but I need some help to clear up the graphics.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:24 AM

Degraded Graphics

Greetings Chopper4.
What video card are you using? Nvidia or ATI?
If you're using Nvidia, you possibly can go into your driver(card)settings. You get there by(I'm going to assume you're using XP)right clicking on an empty area of your desktop, click on settings, down towards the bottom right you should see advanced. Left click on that. That should bring up a panel. On that panel you should see your video card listed. Click on that. With my Nvidia Ti4200 card using 45.23 drivers, there will be a page appear on the left side of the screen.Look for Performance and Quality settings, click on that. You should see some sliders, one labeled Anistropic and one labled Anti-Aliasing. Also there is one that has three settings, High Performance, Perormance, and Quality. Try moving the Anti-aliasing to the right one click at a time and try it. AntiAliasing is the part that takes the "jaggies" away, but it comes with a price on frame rate. You want to find a balance. You can also mess with the other settings but some programs will crash to desktop if you go too far. Not to worry, just back off on the settings. I'm currently running with the top set to Quality, AntiAliasing set to QuinCunx(don't ask me what that means )ansio set to 2X and am using texture sharpening. I get very smooth operation and the quality of the graphics are excellent.
All this is moot if you're running an ATI card
I thought I'd go ahead and give the run down anyway in case somebody else needed the information.
hope this helps
hobiewan
Old 01-21-2004, 11:31 AM

Deg. Graphics

Also, in the Realflight toolbar at the top, go to options; Graphics Optimizations; (if your card can handle it) set Texture Qual. to highest,Graphics to highest, Terrain density to 200 check all the boxes below then.
Go to Direct 3D, Adapter set to your card and D3D set to HAl, and set full screen to at least 1024 by 768(I use 32 bit)
That's all I can think of right now. Got to go back to work for now.
hobiewan
Old 01-21-2004, 11:40 AM

And greetings to you too, hobiewan.
I guess I should have been more specific, but you got it right. Running XP Home, Nvidia TNT card.

I'm about to try your advice. I believe it's the only place in this computer that I haven't been yet. I'll get back to you here if it works out.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:55 PM

Looking Good Again

My video card is Nvidia TNT 2 model 64/64 pro, updated to the 53.03 driver. On that panel that appears to the left (settings then clicking the card) I do not have the options of Performance and quality settings. I don't have Anistropic or anti-aliasing. I clicked on each item, and it's advanced tabs and couldn't find those. I did adjust to highest performance under the 1024 X 768 settings.
Didn't see any improvements after doing that. Then went to G2 and adjusted everything according to your advice. I had tried those settings before, with no change, and restored their original settings. Well, now, with the adjustments I did to the video card, and the tweeking in G2, everything is looking sharp again. My frame rates have dropped in half, though, with 29 against the sky, rather than the 60 I was getting. I'll see if I can't find some balance, but it's good to have the sharp graphics back.
Thank you, thank you, and may the force be with you, hobiewan.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:03 PM

Not good. I started G2 again, and everything was frozen. Frame rate on the ground was 1. Desktop icons kept flashing on the screen through the airport, and audio was cutting on and off, and the memory dropped to nothing. My Norton banner popped up telling me the mem was low and I had just rebooted and started G2. Couldn't even get ctrl/alt/del to respond to end task. I had also noticed on the previous start of G2 that closeups were perfect, but with the heli at normal distance, it was extremely fuzzy and out of focus. I had to kill power to the computer to stop G2, and rebooted. I went back to that window that opened under the video card tab and started to look around. Found something called Texel (or Textel) centering (not sure if I spelled that right) but it was Texel, not Pixel. I moved that slider all the way to the right (numbers went from 7 full left to 0 full right) At Zero, when I restarted G2, I now had perfect closeups, and sharp focus distance, and frame rates went back up. (29 on the ground, 60 against the sky)
I have no idea why this problem ever started, but right now it seems to be working properly.
Thanks again for your help. You got me to the right place.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:59 PM

Degraded Graphics

Wow.
I can feel the sweat beading up on my forehead when something like that happens.
Was it Texture Sharpening that you had checked? I understand that can sometimes have adverse reactions but certainly I can't why it locked up your 'puter.
I hope that you don't have any more un-settling experiences.
I'll check back here later and if you're still having problems, I'll do what I can to help you.
Hobiewan........out.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:07 PM

Degraded Graphics

Guess what. I re-read your post and I think the problem is most likely to be that you've upgraded to the 50 series drivers. Those are designed for the Ultra cards and even my TI4200 128m card will become unstable with those.
First of all, go to Nvidia's site and look up drivers for your card. I've been using 45.23 for quite a while but I don't know if the driver is compatible for you.
I'm willing to bet that this is the root of your problems. I tried the 50 series with IL2/FB and CFS3 and would crash to desktop.
Try rolling back your driver to something earlier.
Hoping things get better fast for ya.
hobiewan
Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Graphics degraded

Greetings one more time.
I went to the official Nvidia site and can't find anything that directly addresses your problem.

I see that you can indeed d/l the 53 series driver for your board but I still think that might have something to do with your problem.

I sincerely hope I haven't lead you down a path here. I have found that the newest bestest drivers for anything sometimes to be lacking. You sometimes have to try something to see if it works. Undoing it can be challenging.

Like I said above, I found a happy medium using a fairly old driver but with very good results.

hobiewan
Old 01-22-2004, 04:18 PM

Still fighting it

Greetings once again, oh mighty hobiewan.
Well, I've been at this for several days now. I have perfect graphics on a closeup, focused long shot, but slow frame rates. I'm only getting 29 against the sky, and 5 minutes of flying and I'm robbed of all memory, and freeze up.
Texels (on the video card) are "texture elements", and I've readjusted them, in G2 I've backed Texture Quality down to Medium, Qraphics backed down from highest to high, terrain density down to 100, shadows and alternate fog off. No change in anything. I still have good graphics, but half the frame rates I had, but NEVER had ANY program wipe out the mem and freeze up the computer. After hitting Ctrl/Alt/Del and waiting about 2 minutes for it to show up, Real Flight was using 137,880K. My RAM was at 9 mb, and as soon as I hit end task, it went up to 189.6 mb.
I still don't know why the problem started with my graphics, but the upgraded driver is now causing more problems than it's worth. I have an option to roll back to the previous driver, and I think that should be my next step. At that point I'm probably back to square one. I sure appreciate the input you have given me on this.
I'll keep you posted as to how sweaty my brow gets.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:23 PM

Degraded Graphics

S***(shew)Chopper. Roll back Roll back.
Give me your system specs e.g. OpSys, Vidcard(again),Type and amount of RAM.etc.
If you have XP, restore back a couple of weeks.
If that does it, then look at your driver install. I think if you put your driver back to where you were at before 53.whatever you might be better off.
These things can drive a sober man to w(h)ine
hobiewan
Old 01-22-2004, 05:39 PM

It might be over

Okay, I'm back. I rolled back my video driver to it's previous version. All my graphics, closeup and distant are as crisp as they were before this problem started. Going to 'settings' for the video card, I now found an option that was not available with the upgraded card. Anisotropic was disabled, and just out of curiosity I selected enable. When I restarted G2, everything was as sharp as ever, and frame rates are now running between 29 and 60. Prior to doing that, they were as low as 6, with the plane freezing in the sky. When I minimize the G2 screen, I see that my RAM is at 164 mb, so my mem is no longer being drained dry. I was about to reinstall Windows and G2, but hopefully this is the end of it. I don't know what caused it, and I don't know what corrected it, but you have been immensely helpful in steering me in the right direction.
Thank you, Thank you, oh wise one, and for all your help, take tomorrow off.
It's time to fly again.
G2...As real as it gets...without the sunburn
Old 01-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Depraved Graphicalls

I am happy you're happy.
I always get a little aprehensive when I give advice to people.
Fly on Fly on.
I've been enjoying my G2 tonight.
I have found a great deal of solid advice by browsing the flight sim sites. Lots of good all around 'puter tweaking there.
hobiewan.
sitting back and flying
Old 01-23-2004, 03:26 PM

Many Thankticals

Don't ever be apprehensive about giving advice. We all know a little about these "Personal Confusers", and some of us know a lot, but no one knows it all. Fortunately you knew something I didn't, and even though it seems like I took a long scenic route through this problem, and still don't know what went wrong or what made it right, it's with your help that somehow it got back to normal.
Thanks so much, one more time. I'm about to fire up G2 for the long ultimate test. If there's nothing added here by tomorrow, then I'm happy.
It's fly time.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:53 PM

Depr eh, degr oh you know

Cool beans. You're welcome. I didn' feel comfortable saying that until I was reasonably sure I'd actually helped instead of perhaps wreaking havoc.
No response is necessary. Hope I don't read anything about this tommorrow.
hobiewan.........putting this thread to a long awaited rest

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: