Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 02-15-2002, 01:57 PM

UK compatability?

Hi all

Having now made up my mind to leap in and buy G2 with all add ons as well I have one stupid question. If i order from somewhere like Tower Hobbies over the net (possibly waiting for USB) will the version I get be the same as the one I would get through UK importers (for much more money) £199 instead of $199. Are there any compatability problems / differences, like NTSC / PAL with video or region coding with DVD. Might be stupid but i really don't know. Help gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian
Old 02-15-2002, 08:57 PM

G2 in the UK

Hi Ian
I've just bought my copy of G2 with the dummy controller from Al's Hobbies - it cost £165 but that was the best price I could find in the UK.
I spoke to tech support guy at Ripmax (UK distributors for G2) yesterday and he said that there wasn't a confirmed date for the release of the USb version

Happy Flying
Martin
Old 02-16-2002, 01:12 AM

Hi Martin

Thanks for your prompt reply. I phoned a few UK retailers, and you are correct that you can get it for less than the RRP. However all the ones I tried had 'just sold their last one' and were waiting for Ripmax to deliver, and they implied that was not a reliable to situation to be in. Perhaps I will have a drive to Als Hobbies today if they have one in stock.

I would be very interested to hear how the simulator runs for you and the specs of your machine (especially graphics card) as there do seem to be a lot of problems here.

Thanks again

Ian
Old 02-16-2002, 07:56 AM

Ian, i'd leave driving to Al's Hobbies until Tuesday because they will definitely have a copy in stock - mine!!

I've had no end of hassle trying to get G2 running on my computer and have finally decided to get my money back - don't get me wrong, i've used G2 on someone else's system and thought it was great but i want to learn to fly a model not spend hours at my computer constantly rebooting. Maybe it's just my setup but i'm not convinced.

Feel free to email me if you want me to answer any questions
Martin
Martinpem@yahoo.com
Old 02-16-2002, 08:20 AM

Martin

Thanks for reply again, sorry to hear you are having problems, although not surprised judging buy quantity of posts on here. I really wish I could get a warm feeling for buying this software.

The local shop will probably have a copy by the time yours get to Als Hobbies (pending Ripmax delivery) but slightly worried in that they will not allow retuns after the packaging is open.

If I could guarantee it would work then I would happily pay the money (+ extra £100 for latest graphics card if required) but I am not willing to gamble on what seems to be a very temperamental piece of programming.

I would welcome any comments from Knife Edge as to the comments above, I can't seem to believe that all the problems are PC related, after all, it may be a complex piece of software, but surely it is not the MOST demanding piece ever written and therefore responsible for pushing normally sane graphics cards over the edge.

I also e mailed Knife Edge with some questions a week ago, but have failed to recieve a reply yet, maybe they are exceptionally busy, but again it doesn't inspire confidence.

Ian
Old 02-16-2002, 11:11 AM

Hi guys,

Bought mine from Als Hobbies two weeks ago after seeing it on a friends machine running under XP Pro. 'Make sure you run update from the CPanel BEFORE you start G2' he said which is exactly what I did. No problems at all either installing or running using the supplied TX box. It even runs fine with a USB Saitek jstick plugged in although if I want to use this jstick for MS Flight Sim I do have to disable the gameport temporarily.
Having a great time flying at my old flying club of over 20years ago (Old Warden, Beds) which I've made a pretty good rendition of with the editor.

Blue side up!

-Dean
Old 02-16-2002, 01:07 PM

Thanks for your reply Dean

Interested to know your PC Specs and particularly your graphics card as that is where the problems seem to be normally. Also interested to hear your specs Martin, maybe I will risk it, maybe not.

I have
P 111 750
Win 98
384 Mb ram
15 gb hard drive spare
and the weak point
ATI All in wonder with 32Mb on board
I would happily pay out for GeForce 2 64Mb DDR if I could get a guarantee that it would work, but first would like to try and get it working in some fashion with ATI board.

Cheers all
Old 02-16-2002, 02:24 PM

I have a Pent 3 800, 500 meg ram, Geforce 2 pro and I get 50 frames on the ground and 80 to 140 in the air with every thing turned on in most airports. it's nice to be able to turn everything back on.

But that Ati board might be a bear to get working.

What might want to do is but RFG2 before you install it get a GEforce whatever, then install the vid card, then install RF. It should start right off. If the board is not up to what you think it should be, take it out and exchange it for something that is. I shop compusa and tell them up front what I'm doing and they are happy to exchange it for something better. They should be I spend enought money there.

Goodluck..

"This space for rent"
Old 02-16-2002, 03:46 PM

System Specs -

Athlon 1.2ghz
512mb PC2100 DDR RAM
Prophet II Ultra 64mb
SB Live 5.1 with Cambridge theatre setup.

Unquestionably the graphics card along with stable drivers (I've recently switched from the 23.11's to the 27.42's but I can't see any difference) is the key to trouble free simming. I was nearly tempted to buy a GEForce 3 a while back but their test results weren't that spectacular. In fact the GEForce 2 Ultras were proving more reliable and better performers in MS Flight Sim 2002 than the GEF3.
Now the GEForce 4 has arrived and it's producing some staggering results, understandably GEF3 owners are feeling more than a little peeved. When the prices start dropping Dabs will be getting my CCard #

-Dean
Old 02-16-2002, 05:13 PM

A T I card

Hi all I'm running ATI card 16 mag.on a laptop an it seem to work fine, some times it has a little lag but not bad.

Tom
Old 02-16-2002, 06:44 PM

i know that G2 is a good piece of software but i really struggle to believe that there is this level of problems going around. When I rang up about ordering G2 i quoted my PC's spec and was told that it was more than what was required to run G2. There was never any mention of the piece of software i received needing updating from a website for numerous reasons. I've managed to overcome two problems with the software but after following all links, updating drivers here there and everywhere and shutting down programs that normally sit in the background doing no harm to any other software, i find that I still don't have a flight sim that I can use without something going wrong. I wouldn't mind if it was a low end price but as we are all aware it isn't. Sorry if there's people who don't agree with what I'm saying but i do believe that this is getting beyond a joke.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:14 AM

I am with you on this one Martin. The onus must be on the company to get this running properly not the individual. I work in the IT industry, currently putting out aero engine lifing programs. This would NOT get past our testing team, and no way would it ever be released onto the paying public. Knife Edge seem to rely on the fact they have got a bit of a monopoly on good sims (yes I know there are others), and the good will and make it work attitude of aero modellers.
As I stated before, I cannot believe this is the most graphics intensive program ever released and is therefore only showing up problems that are dormant in everyones system.

Ah well think I'll have a quick play with Medal of Honor AA. Released here yesterday, great graphics, bit of mindless violence, and installs and runs perfectly.

Cheers all

Ian
Old 02-17-2002, 09:55 AM

Martin, don't forget that most of the people come here because they have problems. The thousands wo don't never come here and you never know about them.

"This space for rent"
Old 02-17-2002, 01:00 PM

Good point Al U

However do you have any ideas of numbers, or a percentage of cases that have problems. How big is G2, what are it's annual sales and how many of them end up in the garage or back on ebay? How many 'thousands' of happy users are there out there?

Logging on to amazon.co.uk and reading the write ups on Mr Gates's latest offering could put you off that for life as well, and yet I know of 5 people who have upgraded very happily, and none who failed. But, and this is the big but, they were offered the chance to return the software if they had problems, and that is something I am not being offered by my local supplier. £200 is a lot to gamble on getting a product working!

Martin, have you been offered your momey back already? perhaps I should still get in the car.

Ian
Old 02-17-2002, 05:11 PM

I understand that there are lots of people that have G2 running succesfully on their systems. I'll even go so far as to say that I am jealous of them! But surely the number of posts that are around where people are after ideas on how to fix certain problems is a bit excessive.

Maybe i was naive to think that i wouldn't have any trouble getting my copy to work. BUt what I dont expect is that after solving two problems i still don't have a fully working reliable piece of software. it's just a bit annoying.

Who do I blame?
Am I wrong for wanting a refund?
I had to argue down the phone with the manager of where i bought it from in order to get him to agree to a refund. His point is that if there is no problem with the software then they shouldn't have to give me a refund.
My point is that i bought a piece of software that i had more than above the desired requirements for and that is still doesn't work.
Should i be entitled to a refund - i think so!!

I've read a sentence somewhere (read that many I've lost track_ that says 'don't forget to update as the version you've got may be out of date already'. Not what you expect to hear after spending £170. Why are the early versions still being sold? Why aren't the newer versions being distributed instead of the old ones.

What happens if you don't have an internet connection - how do you get an update then?

I feel that I'm going on a bit now - can you tell I've had a bad night in work???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: