Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM

Some models corkscrew down with hard rudder

I'm confused.
On some models, when I give hard rudder only, the model immediately corkscrews down to that side. When I observe the ailerons while close on the runway, they are NOT moving. Only the rudder-as commanded. So, if I give it hard left rudder I must also give it alot of right aileron to maintain a level flight. Is this a normal type of flight characteristic? Only some aircraft act this way. I crash alot. I'm sad.

PS- I like to do quick edit to get more movement on the flight surfaces. The other surfaces don't seem to mix in any observable way.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dube View Post
I'm confused.
On some models, when I give hard rudder only, the model immediately corkscrews down to that side. When I observe the ailerons while close on the runway, they are NOT moving. Only the rudder-as commanded. So, if I give it hard left rudder I must also give it alot of right aileron to maintain a level flight. Is this a normal type of flight characteristic? Only some aircraft act this way. I crash alot. I'm sad.

PS- I like to do quick edit to get more movement on the flight surfaces. The other surfaces don't seem to mix in any observable way.
Very, very normal for some planes, especially those with high wings and lots of dihedral. On those, you do need to learn to give opposite aileron to keep the wings level.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Please, copy and past the link to one of the models you are having this happen on.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Here's a picture that helps depict wing types.
Wings with Dihedral, will tend to roll Toward rudder deflection. The Larger the Dihedral Angle, the more pronounced the Roll
Wings with Anhedral will tend to roll opposite rudder deflection.
Wings with No Dihedral, or Anhedral, tend to yaw without roll. Or more correctly, with out the Added Influence, of Dihedral/Anhedral angle.

Note: There Is an an adjustment in the Aircraft Editor In the Physics settings, that allows a physics adjustment of the Dihedral Angle. (per wing)
Note: Although the Physics of the Dihedral, can be customized, the Graphics Representation (look) of the plane will remain unchanged.
Mods like this should be reserved for experienced pilots.

If your Really Trying to Learn to Fly, For Training Purposes, Practice, Flying a Stock, High Wing, Four Channel Trainer. (example Sig Seniorita, NexSTAR)
Their Tuned to Fly Stable and Predictable.
You'll be doing yourself a Huge favor, and Learn to Fly A Lot faster.
Learn to Control the plane your flying, and make it go Where you Want, When you Want. Including Landing.
In Real Life, Take Offs Are Optional, but Landings, Are Mandatory
Cranking up the Throws, and Throwing the Sticks in the Corners, to see what happens, Might be Fun.
BUT, is Not, Learning To Fly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dihedral.JPG (27.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 07-03-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dube View Post
I'm confused.

When I observe the ailerons while close on the runway, they are NOT moving.
It appears that he is flying a model that should have ailerons, but not moving. We need to see what he is flying, to help him!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible2g View Post
When I observe the ailerons while close on the runway, they are NOT moving.
It appears that he is flying a model that should have ailerons, but not moving. We need to see what he is flying, to help him!
I thought he Possibly was referring to a Rudder Aileron Mix, Movement.
As you say: We need to see what he is flying, to help him!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 PM

OP said "On some models..." which means more than one. So unlikely it is a specific design that is "buggie". Stock planes in RF replicate the real models VERY closely, so no need to "fix" them, if RF is being used to learn to fly. I'd take it he/she is not seeing the ailerons move when moving the rudder stick, so is puzzled as to why the airplane is rolling - not that there is something "broken" with the models being flown.

There can be a lot of factors that play into how much (and which direction) roll will happen with just rudder input. Probably the biggest is the simple fact that as a plane does a flat turn, the outboard wing moves faster than the inboard. The outboard wing therefore generates more lift, causing the plane to also roll, just like giving aileron. Aerobatic designs are set up to minimize this as much as possible, while "trainer" types display it to a greater extent. As pointed out, some designs can actually roll the opposite of rudder!

I'm a long time club instructor, and this is one of the things I make sure my students work on in preparation for landings - using the rudder to steer when on final approach, but working the ailerons to keep the wings level.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQygzG-pIQ
This is an example of rudder and elevator only model.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: