Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM

YF-23 Build Thread

Well, I don't usually share my doodles unless it's a team project, BUTT....
I've had a Stealth Itch lately that needs to be scratched, the YF-23 has been a long time obsession of mine.
I was pleasantly surprised there are actually quite a few flyable R/C YF-23's out there.
The one from this thread is the inspiration:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19155

So, in a few weeks or months we should have one for Realflight.
Don't hold your breath, I've never been accused of being fast.

Here is the first roughed-out model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YF-23_1.JPG (99.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Nice!

TN..
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Very cool. I'm looking forward to watching the progress and of course to fly the model eventually.

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Talking

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING SINCE THE FLUSH TOILET!!!!!!!!!!
Keep up the good work. This is my absolute favorite plane. Maybe you could give it a fold out weapons bay...
It's three-season mission: to explore fake, foamy new worlds, to violate the prime directive (interfere with new life and new civilizations), to boldly go where no TV series has gone before (and sacrifice some red shirts doing so...)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 AM

Well,
To start with, don't expect a full-scale simulator aircraft.
It is still too early to tell what elements of scale will remain as I tend to be an advocate of this software as an R/C simulator.
And as such, this mesh will have an R/C theme to it as a real-life R/C model would.

Having gotten all that out of my system, I think I said R/C about 3 times.... err.... make that 4 times.

So, in keeping with the build topic:
Here are the reference and bones used to shape the initial mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF-23ace
THIS IS THE COOLEST THING SINCE THE FLUSH TOILET!!!!!!!!!!
Keep up the good work. This is my absolute favorite plane. Maybe you could give it a fold out weapons bay...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YF-23_2.JPG (77.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Looks great. Very smooth...
It's three-season mission: to explore fake, foamy new worlds, to violate the prime directive (interfere with new life and new civilizations), to boldly go where no TV series has gone before (and sacrifice some red shirts doing so...)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM

How many triangles ? Is there still space for a gear ?

- Einstein -
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkop
How many triangles ? Is there still space for a gear ?
Looks like it's not even in need of a collision mesh so far. I love low-count models!!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 AM

CLOWNS!

Yes, i do re-start over and over until I get a mesh I like.
That inflated number is of the rejects that were not deleted.

I started over yet again. I think this is a keeper.
The polycount will skyroket from here as the intakes, control surfaces and bays are cut.
No wheels yet, but canopy is karved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YF-23_3.JPG (181.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 AM

phrank,

Which meathod are you using to create the shape of your model? It kind of looks to me that you are extruding each segment and shaping as you move along. I think that makes more sense than how I started the fuse for the B1-B. I usually start with a cylinder the length of the fuselage and shape the vertexes of each segment, but it is not working out as easily with the smooth flowing fuse of the B1.

Let me know your secret if you don't mind because your YF-23 is looking really good. Great work so far.

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Well, the simplest method is not always the most obvious, and it took several Failures to get there.
The short story:
It's a hybrid of two methods (can't post any screenshots 'till I'm at my max machine tonight)
- The rear of the fuselage is a multi-segmented plane that was pulled vertice by vertice to match the aircraft contours.
- The forward part of the fuselage is extruded from the Rear Fuselage starting at the main wings towards the nose.
- The main wings as you can tell, are extruded from the Fuselage side once the airfoil was shaped accordingly. I may go back and trim that area back towards the fuse to recover some polys if I get in trouble.

Now for the newbs who are interested in this kind of stuff:
The long-winded story, is a tedious process of failed attempts, but each has their hard-earned lessons to carry forward to your next re-start.
* Failed attempt: Model each of the main sections (forward fuselage, wings, engine nacelles, etc..) separately and perform a Boolean operation on all of them.
The expectation was for them to blend in perfectly. But that approach quickly showed it's ugly side.
It leaves a lot of stray vertices, holes, and generally a lot of time-wasting clean-up work.
BOOLEAN works best on simple objects, not an etire aircraft. Duh!
* Failed attempt: Extrude from a cylinder as we are used to on a traditional aircraft. But this is not a traditional shaped aircraft. And it is certainly not a cylindrical shape. Things look fine at the front of the aircraft, but quickly grow ugly as you need to stretch that poor cylinder into broad flat surfaces.
There are just not enough polys in a cylinder to keep the contours of the bird going backwards.
* Failed attempt: Extrude from a cylinder starting at the rear this time. But you quickly run into the same problem. Immediately you need to stretch out your cylinder into a mostly flat piece.
Yes, you start at a massive poly count/multi-sided cylinder that conforms to the smooth-flowing curves of the main fuselage, BUTT...
To keep the cylinder intact as you move forward towards the nose, things become unmanageable and distorded as you squeeze all those polys into a smaller and smaller area towards the nose.
* Failed attempt: Reading through the YF-23 R/C build threads I saw one fellow skinning his YF-23 with strips of foam onto the bones of the aircraft.
OK, I take a multi-segmented plane, and start pulling the vertices to match the contour of the bones.
This is too good to be true, the mesh is basically left intact, and it's matching the contours much like wrapping/monokote pulled over a frame. WOW!
Problem starts to develop towards the front of the nose. As the forward fuselage area starts to taper inwards. There are just not enough polies to conform to the forward contours. Squeezing the mesh at the front does no longer yield a smooth transition from the main aircraft body to the front. I have just the right number of polys at the rear to follow the contours, but not enough at the front to shape a clean cockpit.

* ......A few more failed attempts later:

Is this the final mesh? Probably not, Today I am happy with it, but as I start cutting it up, I may run into some problem areas.

The veteran modelers know this all too well.
But, I guess the lesson to the newbs is not to expect your first attempt to be succesful, and don't fight something that just isn't working out.
Try it a different way.
Each time you re-start your project you learn something new, so there is no real loss here.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM

He, he, he... Boy you got that right Frank. That is the very reason my signature has been the way it is for the last three years. It is a reminder of the hard knocks learned along the way, and that they were not a waste of time.

Doug

Last edited by dhk79; 08-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 AM

Had barely enough time tonight to start shaping the bottom, seemed easy enough 'till I got to the forward part of the intakes.
What a strange way to shape that thing.
I suppose it was all part of the master plan to lower their radar sig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YF-23_4.JPG (109.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Man that is looking really good Phrank. It's very smooth and well done so far. I have a lot of respect for you and your way of modeling.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 AM

Thank you Matt, you are too kind, but you give me more credit that I deserve.
I don't want to bore the forums with the gruesome details, but a lot of trial and error is involved.

And now for tonight's progress, I worked on the exhaust.
Although it may seem like a trivial task, I learned something new.
I had not realized that PAV-1 and PAV2 had different exhaust.
I do like the exhaust on GrayGhost better, that is what I chose to work with.

Sleepy time. zzzZZZzzzz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YF-23_5.JPG (194.6 KB, 42 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: