Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM

D8 CS problem

When I upgraded to 6.5 this CS became glossy, So I created an _s.tga file to correct the problem. This worked great at first, now when I start RF, the CS is glossy again. I`ve tried switching from this plane to another and back again, re-saving the _s.tga file, naming the _s.tga file over again (with an overwrite), no luck
If you look at the pics, you can see the reflection of the horizon/buildings on the bottom of the wing. This is occurring on the whole plane, these were the best shots i could get to show the problem. Any ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1352824856.jpg (204.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1352825618.jpg (227.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM

if you created a _s.tga and didn't create an alpha channel to control reflections RF will apply an all white alpha channel causing the issue your describing. There is a known bug going back as far as G5 where specular is lost and requires a reset. This is probably why you thought the issue was remedied. RF6 requires a controlled and more intensive spec alpha channel since reflections are more sensitive than in earlier versions.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks Boof, I`m using Gimp, do I just add an alpha channel/layer, and color it black ??
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM

You also might have randomize CSs turned on in the editor, but Boof's suggestion is probably more accurate.

In order to do the alpha in gimp, you must select your layer, add "layer mask" in the layer menu attributes, color as desired, then apply the mask. If you need more clarification, Ill try and work something up for you.

Last edited by abaser; 11-13-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks Andy, I`ll give that a shot. Do I do that to the classic or s.tga file ??
Randomize is off btw.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM

You will do it on the _s.tga to adjust the gloss. I will tell you that once you start adjusting the alpha, things will start to go transparent on you. the darker you go, the less visible it becomes. Here is what my current_s.tga looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz2.jpg (148.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks Andy, got that work using the black, however I want the cowl to have some gloss, so how do I delete those ares on/in the mask, such as how you`ve done on your canopy above. In addition, when I apply it, I can`t see through it like your pic.is that necessary. ??
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
You will do it on the _s.tga to adjust the gloss. I will tell you that once you start adjusting the alpha, things will start to go transparent on you. the darker you go, the less visible it becomes. Here is what my current_s.tga looks like.
That is one highly annoying aspect of Gimp. If there is a way to turn it off, I would like to know it.

I mostly use Photoshop CS6, but I do use Gimp for my normal maps, and I hate this behavior although I can see why some would consider it a feature.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Thanks Andy, got that work using the black, however I want the cowl to have some gloss, so how do I delete those ares on/in the mask, such as how you`ve done on your canopy above. In addition, when I apply it, I can`t see through it like your pic.is that necessary. ??
Select the area you want to change and add a separate mask to that area. This is where using layers REALLY comes in handy. As for the visibility through things, it might be due to me removing the base layer on my .psd for clarity (my base layer is my cut up tga). I do believe you should be seeing through the parts themselves though. I feel that is necessary, but it may not be. If your results are working fine, Id say go for it like you are.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
That is one highly annoying aspect of Gimp. If there is a way to turn it off, I would like to know it.

I mostly use Photoshop CS6, but I do use Gimp for my normal maps, and I hate this behavior although I can see why some would consider it a feature.
I find this useful actually. I relate the transparency as the actual strength of the alpha. The more visible, the stronger.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM

UT, one thing I failed to mention is when you add a mask, you will see a new box show up in the layer panel next to the layer name. You can switch what aspect you want to adjust on that layer by clicking on those boxes. In short, if you want to adjust the color while you have a mask open, click on the left box (should have a smwll pic of your tga in it), then click the mask box on the right to go back to it. The active box will have a white box around it.

When working in my psd, I never apply the mask until Im done. I think you have to on a tga before saving though.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Boof, Andy, I a have achieved the desired results. Thanks for your help Gents .
Much appreciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Any time.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Andy, (or anyone) as you know, you turned me on to Gadwin ages ago. What I would like to know is, how do I set it up to take screenshots of progress shots in Gimp, such as your shot above, without a file showing up on the thread page, that you have to open, in order to see that shot.
When I DL`d Gadwin, all is default. (I`m using rec. select instead of full screen for screen/shot capture however).
What should I be saving the shots as, and where to. currently, they are being saved into a "print-screen" file.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 PM

I'm using all default settings, but I created my own screenshot file. When attaching them, I use the manage attachments down below the reply box to browse to the file location and upload.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: