Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Congrats Win Hand,
Remember when you were ready to give up ?
Do not worry what the plane looks like ... just make sure you can get it thru to G3.5 and you will fine tune it later...
That's what I am doing now, did you see my ugly MIG29 above ?

ARB
Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Win Hand
Yea, I did.

Today later on I'm going to import through the kex importer. right now i'm messing around with it in DE. It is supposedly a boeing737, but I will worry about all the textures and fine tuning later.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Win Hand,
I went thru the whole process several times, if you follow exactly what Maxkop says, you should be fine.
After you get some skills in doing that, it really does not take that long.
If you have any problems, post it here or you can leave me PM.
Good luck and I want to see the plane , even in the stage it is ...

ARB
Old 02-11-2007, 12:33 PM

how long do you think it will take to make an F-35 JSF

i downloaded all the stuff all i need to do it get some time to follow maxtops tutorial
Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Unhappy Sorry ARB, I'm very...

Sorry ARB, I'm very dissapointed in myself for working on that plane from 9:00pm last night to 2:00am and didn't save. I went to go import it and couldn't find it. I just spent 35 min. looking for it in every folder and then searched for it. I will try to make another one later today and post the pocture tommorow. It was painted nicely and everything too. I can't believe myself. (It wasn't really painted nicely) more like an ugly color scheme for it.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 AM

Smile Maxkop's Tutorial in PDF Format!!!

Hey ya'll I have just converted maxkop's Tutorial into .pdf format for myself and for every future aircraft maker out there who does not want to print it all out or selecting and printing text or having the thread opened as you are learning to design. I removed all the backgrounds, but I left things mostly as they are in the thread. It's not perfect, but it works. I followed his tutorial to the letter and within a couple of hours or so, LOL , I had a flying box. Although it was the size of a matchbox, and had no wheels or wings because of my lack of Gmax experience. I think I'll keep it . My hat goes off to Max for his contribution to this forum, and teaching us something new. . Thanx Maxkop, and please keep up the great work!!

Jim

P.S. DOH!! File too darn big, over 5mb. @#$% 100kb limit. Another wasted day. lol, could have built a bigger box .
Got the file down to 250kb and thats unedited and zippped. Stupid 100kb limit on files. Anybody care to have this file? I'll email it, since I can't share it.

Last edited by JimNC54271; 02-12-2007 at 02:43 AM. Reason: KE file size limits!!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Smile I would.

riva message me about that and I'll private message you my e-mail address. I don't want it to be visilble to everyone here.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up

Hi JimNC,

I would want it but maybe a week ago.
I printed all Maxkop tutorial, went thru it line by line, got a cylinder in G3.5
That was the first step, then I reread all the steps again and made my own notes, page and a half on letter size, then I created that parody of MIG29 you can see above in the thread and repeated the process several times, getting mirrored objects to apear properly.... and it worked.

I think after several times, the whole process is quite easy, really, now I am looking for some tutorials on texture mapping in gmax.

Anybody has some nice links?

Personally, I think that the worst part is to do the texture map for the model... maybe because I am not familiar with it at all.... we will see.

Congratulations on your first "box" model and keep working on it, it's very involving ( for me anyway )

Win Hand, did you find your model? Or did you make another one?

Maxkop, thanks again, without you, nobody would even make a box plane ....
I said it many times on different ocasions
and I say it again... Great job Maxkop !!!

ARB
Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 PM

Now I'm make a new...

Now I'm make a new plane. Should have it by Thursday. I never found. I would also like some tutorials on texture mapping too. I have less time now to work on my plane because I'm searching for a different job besides a UPS Delievery driver. I need to make a little more money. I will try to work on it later tonight. Also my plane is a box plane too. Not very pretty in painting and form so far.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:16 PM

maxkop are...

Maxkop are you from GERMANY according to one of those links in rcuniverse forums. Your screen name is the same and you are from GERMANY. What about time differences. Isn't it the dead of night there?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 PM

OK Win Hand,

Keep working on the plane, I will keep an eye on this thread to see how things go...
Don't lose it this time and good luck

ARB
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM

I'll try my best.

I'm going to start working on it right now after i look around for jobs a little bit more on the internet.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkop

The problem is, that you cannot work further more with your generated .3ds - file because the sub - folders will remain. You can again disable saving hierarchy, but that lead to the problem, that you have to rearrange everything from the beginning.
Max, I'm not sure I'm following you on this. You only have to set up hierarchies in DE once. As long as you don't rename your objects or delete or move your .SUP file, the hieracrhies will be preserved in the .SUP even if the hierarchy structure is lost in DE.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 PM

Yes, that's right; your hierarchy will be saved in .sup - file. But if you want to change material values in the .3ds -file you have to generate a new one with changed material values in it. Than the sub-folders in your .3ds - file can be a problem. As long as they are seen by the .kex - exporter as $$$Dummy - Objects with 0 Polygons there should be no problem. So probably, as long as you have your correct .sup - file with your hierarchy in it, you can have any number of sub-folders with 0 polygons, cause they are not exported as "real" - objects. But for me, it's better to work with a clean structure in DE. Although you are only seeing 16 visible objects of 86 in my Funtana plane and one's have the possibility to attach the other objects to the main related parts in gmax, the definition of the uvw - unwrap - modifiers of the resulting objects would be horrible. It's sometimes really easier to unwrap the single parts, especially by complictated planes like the Funtana because the plane is transparent and needs multiple objects to generate the visual effects in combination with the alpha - channel.

But when you have multiple test - files of your plane with multiple hierarchy - information, multiple texture information and multiple pivot information and a lot of objects, and now imagine how many sub-folders are generated when you make changes to the .3ds - file and save again, you really have no overview over your work any longer.

Therefore, it's really important to be sure that your model is finished including texturing before you are starting the export process and set up everything correctly.

Last edited by maxkop; 02-12-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 AM

OK, I see what you are saying now. I have noticed that the more I save in DE, the more $$$DUMMY objects I get, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet. I just scan through the .SUP to make sure my hierarchy is still correct and delete any dummy objects.

I'm sure as I get into more complex models, it will become more of an issue.

Thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: