Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 PM

FBX and RF

File looks good in MAX 18, blows big time in RF8. Import the exported FBX. file back into MAX 18, still looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenaa.jpg (65.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.jpg (45.6 KB, 16 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip WELD CART.rfx.zip (274.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by flexible2g; 01-21-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 PM

I'm assuming that the parts that are super shiny are baked? With the fbx import method, all parts must be mapped to look correct in RF.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 AM

well

This forum would never have survived, without baked parts. Not every one wants to just make models with skins and dash boards, easy too map, easy too texture.
Every thing I make has too much small stuff to map.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:25 PM

I'm thinking this is a bug with the FBX import. Hopefully, it is one that will be fixed in the near future. FBX import is a brand new feature after all.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM

fbx

I do not think the prob is with the FBX. file, but rather in RF import script. I imported the FBX file back in MAX 18, and it was clean.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM

no work

I reassigned the materials in max, made no deference.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM

I can't find the post right now but it was stated that the fbx files do not support baked materials. If you want spec control in RF you must map all parts.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:37 AM

If I remember correctly in one of my early RF-8 build threads I was talking about how my plane was totally glossy and one of the KE guys mentioned it was necessary to map all the parts in RF-X and RF-8 because the FBX exporter in 3ds Max doesn't provide the values for baked on colors so they weren't able to support them now. He mentioned filing a ticket in their bug tracking system about it but didn't know if they'd ever be able to support baked on colors because they weren't passed on by the 3ds Max FBX exporter. Unfortunately I deleted that build thread so the post went away. But you could send a PM to Jeremy or Ryan and ask about it again.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
If I remember correctly in one of my early RF-8 build threads I was talking about how my plane was totally glossy and one of the KE guys mentioned it was necessary to map all the parts in RF-X and RF-8 because the FBX exporter in 3ds Max doesn't provide the values for baked on colors so they weren't able to support them now. He mentioned filing a ticket in their bug tracking system about it but didn't know if they'd ever be able to support baked on colors because they weren't passed on by the 3ds Max FBX exporter. Unfortunately I deleted that build thread so the post went away. But you could send a PM to Jeremy or Ryan and ask about it again.
I don't know about baked on colors, but the spec values are definitely exported by 3ds Max (as well as Blender for that matter). I've analyzed the files pretty thoroughly.

I'll send a PM to Ryan about it though.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
I can't find the post right now but it was stated that the fbx files do not support baked materials. If you want spec control in RF you must map all parts.
I have no problem mapping my parts, but the thing that concerns me is that spec maps don't load for people who play on medium graphics settings or lower; my parts will look messed up for those people.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlong13 View Post
I have no problem mapping my parts, but the thing that concerns me is that spec maps don't load for people who play on medium graphics settings or lower; my parts will look messed up for those people.
Yeah, I've run into issues similar to that before. Take my Pitts for example. Typically with decals, I'll turn the spec value way down because I don't like for them to get washed out in sunlight reflections. I used to set the spec value to 0 so there was minimum spec applied. Now, from what I've seen on my end at least, those areas show up black at all times no matter the color. Take the value to 1 and that goes away. Makes my work look like crap but that's part of making advancements in technology. To fix an issue, sometimes you have to break things that used to work.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Makes my work look like crap but that's part of making advancements in technology. To fix an issue, sometimes you have to break things that used to work.
I agree with you 100% there. Just doing my due diligence to highlight and document possible bugs as best I can. The FBX import is a huge step up from the roundabout way things used to be done, and I'm very excited about it (especially because it means we can get Blender working rather painlessly).
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 AM

I've figured it out!

There is a parameter in the material settings in an FBX called "Shininess" and "ShininessExponent". The 3ds Max exporter sets these to 2^(Gloss/10), but it looks like Realflight expects it to be equal to Gloss/100. The KE team should fix this on the import side of things.

For now, you can work around this by exporting the FBX as ASCII, open it in a text editor, search for the material name, and change the Shininess and ShininessExponent to be between 0.0 and 1.0! For example, if you want the Gloss to be 6, set it to 0.06.
Attached Images
File Type: png ascii_fbx.PNG (26.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:10 PM

tryed

RF does not see this file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot002.jpg (22.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible2g View Post
RF does not see this file
Sorry, I didn't explain very well. It still needs to be named .FBX, but select "ASCII" in the exporter options instead of "Binary"

I'm working on a python script that will fix the baked specular values automatically using the normal binary FBX.
Attached Images
File Type: png ascii_export.PNG (18.6 KB, 11 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: