Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 AM

Discussion Forum "BRATS"

I have been in the IT/computer industry all my working life.
I have recently retired and as a way to keep my mind active/mentally stimulated, I decided to get into R/C planes/helicopters, as a hobby.
It was suggested to me that before I started building and "crashing" expensive R/C planes and helicopters, that I played about on my computer with a good R/C simulator.
I researched the available software and settled on RealFlight.
When I went to purchase the software I was told that "G3" was now available and that is what I purchased.
Like many "G3" first time users I encounted a number of problems getting it up and running. But unlike numerous users who use this forum as a "bitch session", I worked through the problems and got it running successfully!
My computer is the only thing that now holds me back!!
I am running an Intel motherboard with a Pentium 1.4 Gb processor. I have only 384 Mb of Ram and initially a nVidia Geforce 2 MX video card with 32Mb Ram. The program ran but not smoothly. I have upgraded the card to a Geforce 5200 with 128 Mb of Ram and it now runs OK.

Now my """""GRIPE"""""".

I AM FRUSTRATED WITH ALL THOSE "DISCUSSION FORUM BRATS" OUT THERE THAT USE THIS FORUM AS A PLACE TO VENT THEIR ANGER AT KNIFE EDGE/GREAT PLANES FOR NOT GIVING THEM WHAT THEY WANT!

A DISUSSION FORUM IS A PLACE FOR HELPFULL DISCUSSION AND INFORMATION!

IT IS NOT A PLACE FOR "NON-EXPERT IDIOTS", and this is obvious from their comments, TO SOUND OFF!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PROGRAM THEN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY!

Real Flight G3 is doing things on a computer that was only dreamed about ten years ago. But it requires that the computer to be suitable.

KEEP THESE DISCUSSION FORUMS CLEAR FOR ENTHUSIASTIC USERS WHO ARE LOOKING FOR TIPS AND TRICKS FROM OTHER ENTHUSIASTIC PEOPLE.

PS. I am in the process of researching an upgrade to the latest Intel 955X chipset motherboard with a Pentium Xtreme 3.73 Ghz processor and a nVidia 7800 video card. For any enthusiastic G3 users I will keep you informed about my progress!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM

Gripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Frame

I have been in the IT/computer industry all my working life.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PROGRAM THEN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY!
Since a) you evidently recently bought the program with the upgrades already in place you did not have to go through the "development stage" of this program, b) you were not there when there was no reasonable info on what worked and what didn't on the sim and c) you are a computer expert (I am no slouch here either, although it is not my occupation I have been building computers since the early 1980's, have done some programming for commercial use and have been interested in and involved with electronics since the 60's.) I wouldn't expect you to understand the frustrations some people have gone through with this program.

There have been hoops that people have been asked to jump through with this program that I have never seen before (even from Microsoft). Yes, I have had to read the box requirements before, but I have never had troubles interpreting them. I have never had to go online to check out compatibility before. I have never had to change my hardware just to get a piece of software to run.

I have hundreds of programs including high end games and apps. and the only programs that I have that do not run are those I bought for DOS or pre-Win'98 which are simply outdated.

Also, you may note that KE has not admitted that compatibility got shortchanged in their desire to release by Christmas.

I believe in accountability and I believe it is the responsibility of a company to do the best for its customers. KE and especially (I suspect) GP failed in that respect. They have begun to make up for it and are making large strides. I think that is in part due to the complaint, bug reports and questions found on this forum.

It sounds as if in your IT experience you have never had to complain about a sub-standard product since you don't feel people should do that on a public forum. and as for this being a place only for experts - I was under the impression that it was a public forum for people who had purchased G3. I was not aware of any other forum requirements. Maybe you can start your own "expert" forum so you don't have to pay attention to the non-expert average person! KE on the other hand has been listening to it all and is responding.

Good luck in your R/C adventure I have enjoyed it for 3 years. I have crashed 4 or 5 times but not in the last year - I'm getting better and I don't fly in a docile manner! I hope however that you don't suffer a crash like one of mine - the ailerons that were "attached" (with very little CA) at the factory fell off as I made a tight loop and I had to complain to the company - they replaced the plane!

Thanks for listening to one who gripes on occasion - but seldom without good reason.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 AM

Don F.

You said it right. Now get ready for those brats to turn their poison on you. But you did say it right. Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: