Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 03:23 AM
wrecklass

I love the folks posting there case mods as if that has something to do with performance

Here's what I have

AMD 2800+ XP (Barton)
1GB 333GHz DDR RAM
ATI X800 XL Video with 256MB DDR RAM (AGP version at 8x)
Dell 2005 FP Display

Except for the Video board, this computer was built 2 years ago and plays
everything great.

RealFlight G3 runs beautifully at 1600x1200 32 bits with options set to
Highest. Looks great too. Video card and RAM are the biggest things to
consider for this game, although you're gonna need a 2.4 GHz or better
CPU as well, if you want to run at a sufficiently high resolution to be able
to really see what the planes are doing in the distance.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:18 PM

Work in progress. Will try to add more pics and info for installation of an extra fan on the side of cpu etc. later.

1st pic.. I used a Y-Adaptor and a pretty good sized fan.
2nd pic..The Geforce 6800 GT 256mb 8x agp 3D card is shown. You should also be able to see the two fans connected to the Y-Adpator.
3rd pic... REALLY HIGH TECH STUFF....
4th pic..The extra fan on the temporary side panel is shown.
5th pic..The Geforce 6800 Ultra OC 256mb 8x agp 3D card is shown. Note that this card will take up two slots. One agp slot where it plugs into and one pci slot just because the card is so wide.

Tap F-11 key to toggle size of pic's then use your mouse on left frame of pic to stretch pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan I added and I used a Y-connector to be able to use 2 Fans with one power source.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 051.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 056.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	922  

Name:	Extra fan on side of cpu.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	924   Click image for larger version

Name:	GF 6800 Ultra OC 256mb 3D card shown.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	926  

Last edited by Slider; 06-12-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:23 PM

First pic... Shows the white locking clips for the Dimm/Ram. Its so close to the 3D card that anytime that I want to take out or add ram I have to remove the 3D card...what a pain.
2nd pic... The Geforce 6800 Ultra OC *overclocked* 256mb 8x agp 3D card requires TWO SEPARATE Power doggles that DON'T SHARE any power with either the card itself or any other source like a CD or DVD Drive..etc. In other words, even if you have other doggles on a power line that comes from the power supply...Use ONLY ONE of those power doggles for just ONE of the plug in's on the 3D card.
3rd pic...Temporarily removing the 3D card to be able to install or remove the ram sticks. Note that the ram sticks are circled by the black oval and the sticks themselves are gold colored.
4th pic...Right after installing a new power supply. The one that I took out is on the carpet the new power supply is installed.
5th pic...For my particular hp a450n computer, I had to use a pliers to remove a tab to be able to install the new power supply.

NOTE: More pics also in my post thats right above this post.

Tap F-11 key to toggle size of pic. then use mouse to stretch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moving the 3D card out of the way to remove the two 1GB ram sticks.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	994  

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	996  

Last edited by Slider; 06-29-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:26 PM

OCZ Dimms

I'm upgrading to 2X1024 OCZ PC3200 Kit DIMMs. 2GB of RAM. I've been having pagefile problems with my 1gig (2X512) OCZ with BF2.

Charles
Old 07-08-2005, 05:44 PM

Slider, why did you not just cut the original side panel to put that extra fan.

Also why did you add that extra fan? Where you having heat issues.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneckjoe
Slider, why did you not just cut the original side panel to put that extra fan.

Also why did you add that extra fan? Where you having heat issues.
noneckjoe,

I didn't cut the original side panel because I first wanted to make sure that where I placed a fan on the side panel would be the correct place to place them to be able to cool the cpu correctly.

And yes, I had to add the extra fan on each computer because of cooling problems that were most probably causing my cpu(s) to crash here and there.

Adlai
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider
Just wanted to note that I added a couple more pic's to my last post above and that I will be adding information for exactly which power supplies I used on my computers for anyone that might want to know that information ...asap

Adlai
Here are the power supplies which I used on my HP a450n cpu's.

For the cpu which has the Geforce 6800 GT 3D card installed in it. I used the Antec 400 watt power supply>model SL 400.

For the cpu which has the Geforce 6800 Ultra OC 3D card installed in it. I used the Antec 480 watt power supply> TrueBlue 480.

Picked up the power supplies from compusa.

I wouldn't suggest for anyone to use lower wattage power supplies if you use the same 3D cards as I have.

Adlai
Old 08-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider
oh yea. The two 1 gb ram sticks which I took out. They are PC 4000/500mhz sticks.
My cpu calls for PC 3200/400mhz sticks. The PC 4000/500mhz sticks are sapposed to be compatable but I'm seriously thinking of exchanging them for PC 3200/400mhz sticks. Guess I should test them on my other computer first though, but its a pain ...lol
Also I should add another fan *with those PC 4000/500mhz sticks* installed in my cpu to see if that might have been the problem. But a again..its a pain
I might, I might not...lol

Adlai
Just updating the above info.

I finally exchanged the two 1gb ram sticks which I was talking about above. Come to find out that one of the sticks was defective and that was part of the reason why the computer that I had those sticks installed in would "crash" after a few hours use. (I still had to install the extra fan which I installed on the side of the computer to cool my cpu down enough so that wouldn't also cause my computer to crash here and there).
Anyway...also reinstalling those two 1 gb ram sticks "Does" actually increase the frame rates a pretty good bit for G3 as apposed to having only 500mb's of ram. But a good 3D card has lots more benefit then just adding more ram.
Also, if anyone wanted to see my computer specks for one of the HP a450n computers. Click on Slider above then click on View Public Profile then just scroll down a bit to see it.

Adlai
Old 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM

G3 runs smoothly on my Dell D600 (1.7ghz) laptop with a Gig of ram... Anyone wishing to run this on a laptop configuration should be advised that most laptops will step down the processor speed depending on whether they are running on batter power .vs AC (110v) power so always run while plugged into 110 if you want optimimal performance. I was told that it would not run well on laptops but wanted to share my experience for anyone that would like to have the mobility. The D600 works great but I have been told the XPS will not render at all?

As for the hard drive issue... There is no conspiracy from the hard drive manufacturers to gain an advertising advantage; we are really talking about the difference between a Binary equivalent and a decimal equivalant for the capacity of the drive. This is absolutely normal and has been an issue since the beginning of the hard drive technology.

Last edited by lvumlow; 08-17-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 PM

I'm running a Penitum 4, 2.14 gig machine.

I have 1 gig of fast ram installed, and choppy video.

Video card memory / speed is much more important than adding another
512 megs of ram.

I am now wondering if I should buy the ATI all in wonder 120 meg video card,
or something better, as the ATI AIW is not really a gamer card.

My current card is an ATI AIW 8500 DD with 64 megs of DDR ram.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: