Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhet Stevens
Marc0,

Thanks for checking on that. I'm going to look into it and see what the fix is so that we can be assured of fair races. Two questions I have for now:

1. What version are you running? (Help->About->"Product Version")
2. Did you edit the airport in any way?

Thanks,
Japhet
Japhet,

I'm running version .387 and I haven't edited the airport in any way and I'm seeing what everyone else is seeing. The aircraft flying around or through rings etc.

Also with using the original Obstacle Course and Jim Bourke's recording of flying through the rings. The same thing is happening, his aircraft is flying though and around a lot of rings, not all but alot of them. And I've noticed this I "believe" from maybe about just a couple of days after I first aquired G3 and using it with the original "first" version it came out with "the version it shipped with back in I believe December of 2004.

Hopefully this bug can be fixed because this is cool ...

Adlai
Old 07-29-2005, 01:49 AM

Japhet,

I'm pretty sure that we already know what the problem is. You already know about the issue. It is the same problem that some users see with the 'Flying the Obstacle Course' recording that ships with G3.

The terrain density setting [in the graphics quality area of the settings dialog] changes the terrain elevation accuracy. The elevation data becomes less accurate the further from the airport center. Airport objects [the rings] are placed relative to the ground. This means that different terrain density settings can cause terrain to be higher/lower in some places, and the effect is exaggerated the further you fly away from the airport center.

The recorded aircraft position is absolute. This means that the recorded aircraft flies the exact same path on all computers relative to a single point [the origin of the coordinate system].

Simply put... If a recording was made with a terrain density setting at 30% and played back on a PC with a density setting of 0% [or vice versa] there is a very good possibility that the recorded flight will appear to miss the rings or even go below ground.

There may be other factors that could cause this phenomenon, but I'm pretty sure that this is the issue you're running into. Just to verify, you should ask what terrain density setting people are using. Try playing back their recordings with the same settings and see if the recording still goes below ground.

Travis
Old 07-29-2005, 02:18 AM

Yep, I think you're absolutely right. I actually figured it out just before I read your post! For those that are having issues seeing Breakstuff's recording (I was too, on my home computer) try the following steps:

1. Click "Simulation->Settings", settings dialog appears.
2. Go to "Graphics->Quality->Terrain (%)" and change that to 0 (incidently, this will probably improve your framerate quite a bit).
3. Exit and restart the sim.

Now play back Breakstuff's recording.

I will update the official rules so that we don't see this problem again. For now the official rules will require a terrain density of 0%.

Thanks Vitek and all who gave feedback.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Banned

ok i set the terrain % from 30% to 0% and it now plays correctly for me.

btw after setting your terrain to 0% you need to re-start g3 for the change to take effect.

breakstuff is the "topgun" so far -good job breakstuff!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Okay, I just was practicing with the A-10 and had a smoking time going but the A-10 does not hold enough fuel to complete the course! I run dry at 34 of 36 rings. Argh!

2:28 is going to be very difficult to beat!
It is legal to change your "unlimited fuel" setting by going to Simulation->Settings->Physics->Unlimited Fuel.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhet Stevens
It is legal to change your "unlimited fuel" setting by going to Simulation->Settings->Physics->Unlimited Fuel.
Cool!

BTW, my Terrain is already at 0%, however my Trees are at 30% but they are switched off. (?)
Old 07-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Cool!

BTW, my Terrain is already at 0%, however my Trees are at 30% but they are switched off. (?)
That's ok.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:47 PM

King Cat? Double Whammy?

Holy smokes!!

Now I know why old fighter pilots don't exist!
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 PM

Help! I cannot find how to turn on "Unlimited Fuel".
Old 07-31-2005, 12:44 AM

Open G3, click Simulation/settings/physics, then highlight the "No" setting next to Unlimited Fuel. Select "Yes" on the drop-down menu that will appear.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:47 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:31 PM

Just a suggestion for anyone submitting a ring race time.

Maybe for the purpose of clarity. Rename your recording with something like.
"your ID or name" and the words "at ring".
Example: Slider at ring

I'm figuring that by doing this that when anyone wants to choose a recording from the list of recording that they have, especially if they have a whole bunch of recording. That by adding those words, it will be easier anyone to figure out which recording are for the Ring Racing Airport.

PS: I submitted a time, don't know if I submitted it right or if it will make the leader board, but if it does. I didn't "yet" do what I just suggested, I didn't add the words "at ring"

PS:PS: This ring racing is a cool idea, thanks for doing this Japhet.

PS:PS:PS: Gets the blood flowing with every attempt...

Adlai
Old 07-31-2005, 03:14 PM

Congratulations Kmot for breaking three minutes and moving to 3rd place! I guess that "unlimited fuel" setting made quite a difference.

One thing that I want to note about having "unlimited fuel": if this setting is on, your fuel tank will not drain. This lets you fly forever but has one negative consequence: your plane doesn't get any lighter. If you turned this setting on for one plane but now want to try racing a model with more fuel, I suggest turning it back off to save weight. It won't make much difference in top speed but it will result in a more manuverable plane towards the end of the race.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:59 PM

Kmot,

Nice "Roll" "within" that Ring near the end of your lap!....
Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM

I just sent my recording in. My time was 3:06 and I missed one ring. I was using the L-39.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: