Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM

G3 update says it's already updated

OK. I have a Geforce4 MX 440. After wiping out the drive and reinstalling XP with the new SP2, I can't get G3 to work. It fails at 175/180 (terrain building or something). Checked all the DirectX9 stuff. Everything ok. Graphics driver seems to be the latest too. It worked before the update though. I suspect on an older driver too.

So I decide to do the update .329 and see what happens. After a very long time on dailup (how big are these files anyway?) the machines downloading just stops. Screen doesn't change either. So I use Task manager to stop it and restart G3 to see what's up. It says that it already is updated now, however program won't even launch now. No splash screen nothing.

Removed G3 and reinstalled G3 again....same thing. fails at 175/180. Start download....goes forever...hangs part way through.

Now what?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:50 PM

Please provide exstensive system specs as well as a list of what is in your RealFlight\Planes directory.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 PM

'puter specs

It's an Asus P4S333 Mobo, P4 1.72Ghz, 512 RAM, 200Gb HD, Sony DVD RW DRU-530A, Lite On LTR-24102M, Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 64Mb (worked ok before XP SP2 upgrade), audio is on board, MS sound system, misc network card, and natural keyboard.....

Can't find any "planes" directory. I've uninstalled it now several times. At this point (another fresh install) it hasn't tried to update. It never seems to make it through anyways. So maybe that's the reason for the missing directory. However, it never worked before the update either. Only made (makes) it to 175/180 and had (has) a terraindetailaddsigned error.

It's something that's happened during the SP2 updates. Either new graphics driver and it worked with whatever old one I had in there, or it doesn't like XP's SP2.

gpshemi
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM

Ahh...planes directory.

Ok. My mistake after running it again, it asked for me to finish up with the serial numbers. That made the other directory. There is nothing in it.
Actually, there is nothing in airports, snapshots, weather, or temp either.

gpshemi
Old 01-18-2005, 10:01 PM

okay, I'll look into it
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Administrator

I'm about to ask you a lot of different questions. Please bear with me and answer them all as best as you can. These will all focus on the online update errors you're experiencing.

The download for .329 will be about 5 MB, which will take awhile over a dialup connection. The Launcher will actually tell you the size of each file as it's downloading it, so you can watch that for info on the specific files. In the next G3 update I will probably add a message for the Launcher to display before beginning an online update to tell you how large it will be and give you the option to cancel before starting the update.

How stable is your dial-up connection when you're downloading files from other places on the Internet? Do you sometimes receive errors while downloading a file that is 4-5MB? That's all the Launcher is doing during the downloading stage of the online updates--it's downloading a file from a webserver via HTTP, just like your web browser would do.

When you experience this program hang during online updates, what exactly is the Launcher doing? Does the status message say that it's downloading a file, or copying a file? Which file, and does the file it's on when it crashes change between attempts? Also, the Launcher displays the G3 version in its upper right corner (e.g., RealFlight G3: 3.00.313); what does it say after the failure? It shouldn't tell you it's already updated unless it has actually completed downloading all the files and, and the failure occurs after it has started decompressing & copying the downloaded files to their correct locations.

You say you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. When you uninstall, do you put a check in the box for "Remove all cached files from the online update"? If not, try doing that, reinstalling, and attempting the online update again. Normally you could just click the "Clear Download Cache" button in the Registration/Updates dialog, but if you're stuck in a halfway-updated state, that won't be enough.

Quote:
So I use Task manager to stop it and restart G3 to see what's up. It says that it already is updated now, however program won't even launch now.
What exactly was the message you received, or what did you see that made you think G3 was already updated?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:20 AM

updates

I figured it was a good 4-5 mbs. It does tell you the size that it's downloading, however, after 10 minutes or so (I don't stick around) XP goes to the login screen. It keeps downloading in the background. When you resume the session, the download window appears blank even though the dailup connection is still downloading. After around 1-1.5 hours it just quits. It's not dropping the connection since you can still browse if you want. I don't normally loose connection anyway. I can accidently leave it on all day, do nothing, come back and it'll still be live.

When you try to close the window it won't. It's locked up. You have to kill it manually. Then when you start it back up it says it's already got the latest version. I assume with .329. At that point the program won't even run. Nothing. Just a flicker.

If I remember the first time after a reboot I got it to come up to "run button". I uninstalled it with the uninstaller, checked the box to clear out everything. Reinstalled, downloaded again only to get the exact problem. When I went back to check on it after dinner, it shows a blank window, and the dailup shows no action happening. Check IE and it still loads yahoo.com. So....go figure.

There's no telling where it's failing because the screen is just white. Unless of course you'd sit there for an hour moving the mouse to keep the window live. I'm not doing that. I'll put it in the round file first and cut my loses.

gpshemi
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 PM

try try again

Call me a die hard. Was working on the machine tonight and thought it a good time to try this yet again. This time the download (.329) made it to 1126K of 4592K and it gave me an error 21012. Started download again and gave error 12212 unable to connect this time. Tried my ISP and it did indeed drop the server, yet I was connected. In any event. I hung up and redialed. Tried to start DL again and it says it has latest update. Ran the launcher and it says 3.00.329 up in the corner. However, this time I know it never made it through (although this is the first time my ISP has dropped me- not your fault this time).

So once again I'm stuck. No way to update, and no way to run. Time to uninstall it again and try the update again.

gpshemi
Old 01-20-2005, 09:02 AM

Done

Well after that I reinstalled it started the download again (this must be the 6th install). Worked on the machine while it was downloading. It hung during DL twice, however, both times it restarted thinking it still needed the update. Finally I got the whole thing. It works.

However, after this I have a couple thoughts. You have a serious problem with this software. It's full of bugs, your servers are not good with connections at all. Out of the 8 times I've tried this and it's failed, only once was it something that happened on my end (last post). There's really not a good reason that this shouldn't have been better at the start. The update files should be easier to get. You should have them in smaller packages. That way there's less chance of problems. It should stand alone so there isn't a problem with the program thinking it's already updated. It would be nice if you had the updates available on disk for people. If either we're the case I could have gotten it from other machines (work or friends even) and burned it to disk and brought it home. This software is a mess boyz from the start.

The good news is it's running and seems to be running well. Let's pray the computer doesn't need anything else or that I get a new one and have to DL these files again.

gpshemi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: