Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 PM

How to set FPS in the sim

Hi I would like to be able to set the Max FPS in the sim so it doesn't overload my graphics card. Right now it averages around 118 fps but heats up my card. I would like to set it to say 90fps. Any ideal on how to do this? Loving the sim!

Jason
Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 AM

What graphics card ?

Last edited by asj5547; 12-12-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Search Ryan's post on stuttering and potential workarounds , there is information to set 60 fps.

Last edited by asj5547; 12-12-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond View Post
Hi I would like to be able to set the Max FPS in the sim so it doesn't overload my graphics card. Right now it averages around 118 fps but heats up my card. I would like to set it to say 90fps. Any ideal on how to do this? Loving the sim!

Jason
I've never seen a way to cap the frame rate to a specific value but you can turn VSYNC on, but make sure your frame rate doesn't drop below 60 fps or it will be halved during those times. Here's some information from Ryan's post about Stutter and Judder.

To open the console, press Ctrl-Alt-Tilde ('~'). To close the console, press Tilde.

You can turn on a framerate display in the upper right corner to see your current and average framerates. Open the console, enter "show_fps 2", then close the console. To disable the framerate display, reopen the console and enter "show_fps 0".

To turn VSYNC ON.
Open the console.
Enter "video_vsync 1".
Enter "video_restart".
Verify that the framerate is now locked to 60fps (+/- a tenth or two).

To turn VSYNC OFF.
To reverse these changes, enter "video_vsync 0" then "video_restart" in the console. Note that simply exiting and restarting the sim will not reset this value. You will need to do it manually.

The info is from Ryan's post here...

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32487
Old 12-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Ok thanks guys, I just thought there might be an 'easy' way to just set the frame rate to a desired rate. The problem with the vsync method is that my monitor is capable of doing 120. My card is a R9 Fury X, great card I like it because its quite. Maybe I can limit the frame rate in my graphics software ;p-)

Jason
Old 12-12-2017, 08:51 PM

limit fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond View Post
Ok thanks guys, I just thought there might be an 'easy' way to just set the frame rate to a desired rate. The problem with the vsync method is that my monitor is capable of doing 120. My card is a R9 Fury X, great card I like it because its quite. Maybe I can limit the frame rate in my graphics software ;p-)

Jason
I downloaded MSI Afterburner 4.4.0 and it comes with Rivatuner statistics server, (free downloads) Rivatuner can limit fps. Here are a couple of screenshots one set at 30 fps the other set to 60 fps.
Then I deleted msi afterburner (did not need GPU overclocking) and rivatuner continues to work. You could download rivatuner separately but the rivatuner that comes parcelled with afterburner is ver. 7.0 the stand alone is ver. 2.24
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 fps.jpg (387.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 60 fps.jpg (203.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by asj5547; 12-12-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: