Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 9
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:05 PM

Installed the new video card last night. No major problems with the install.

Only surprise was that I lost audio because the audio card, like the old video card was integrated into lthe motherboard. I guess Windows expected audio over HDMI on the new card. (I'm sure someone could explain this better than I can.). All I know is that I found a place where I could set the old sound card as the default and that solved the problem.

RF recognized the new card without a re-install.

RF loads much quicker now although I honestly don't see huge differences in the quality of the graphics. But It does seem to run smoother in general.

I'm glad I made the upgrade. I'm thinking it will help with other programs as well like Premier and photoshop.

Thanks again to all of you for your input.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
AFAIK, RF doesn't automatically reconfigure the graphics settings when you install a new video card. You might need to manually reconfigure the graphics settings for higher quality.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Well that would explain why I didn't see that much difference in the graphics. My graphic quality was still set on Medium so I increased it to High. My PC cannot handle the Highest quality setting. This change only required a re-start of RF. Do you think there are other settings that may need to be automatically adjusted with a reinstall?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgibson View Post
Well that would explain why I didn't see that much difference in the graphics. My graphic quality was still set on Medium so I increased it to High. My PC cannot handle the Highest quality setting. This change only required a re-start of RF. Do you think there are other settings that may need to be automatically adjusted with a reinstall?
You might want to turn on Normal Maps if you haven't. It will give you much more detail on some things.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:14 PM

Yes, Normal Maps is turned on.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:44 PM

It's not going to look a whole lot better with a new video card. It's pretty much a 10 year old piece of software with new features. What the video card will get you is a higher frame rate and more realistic looking flights. But graphics are not going to change much....
Old 09-21-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
You might want to turn on Normal Maps if you haven't. It will give you much more detail on some things.
Thanks mate. You know after almost 20 years of using RF (since RF2) I've never tried settings/graphics/quality/ normal maps on before, lol! It certainly does make things look a bit better on my monitor. Unfortunately it does nothing for VR though, actually a little worse shimmering. Thanks again.
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:14 AM

One of the big advantages of Normal Maps is I believe you then get what are called Bump Maps put to use. On many of the models you don't get the texture without it. It ends up being all flat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: