Go Back   Knife Edge > Coming Soon > Acro FS
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 AM

Red face An update to Acro today

Well I am just downloading the lastest Acro FS update from steam... I am very surprised.

It looks like RFX but a full scale RFX, should be interesting...
Old 10-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Well spotted!

Acro FS has been updated. For more information, check out the update notes in the Steam community.

We'll be posting a news item here in the forums shortly, but you should definitely download and check it out. It's free, after all!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens View Post
Well spotted!

Acro FS has been updated. For more information, check out the update notes in the Steam community.

We'll be posting a news item here in the forums shortly, but you should definitely download and check it out. It's free, after all!
Wow, and here I thought it was dead and buried, lol!

I just tried it with my nice new Vive Cosmos VR headset and it works very well.

I found it easiest to start off in non-VR mode in order to setup my controller (Spektrum Interlink DX) and a few graphics settings. Actually looked very nice on my flat screen.

Going into VR was easy-peezy esp. since all the menus are also now in VR. I'm looking forward to trying out all the new aircraft and fields.

This is just too good to be free mate, lol!
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM

I just tried the Acro FS update and was disappointed. You guys were on the right track with RF-X 1.5 and should rename RF-X to something else and put it on Steam as an Early Access. Then refine what's already there some (not wright island) and add more excellent flying areas like Wright Island. I think the market for that type of game or simulator is much larger than what might happen with AcroFS.

One comment on the Acro FS update. The trees in the Homestead area stay as sprites unless I get really close to them which makes them look terrible.

A renamed version of RF-X is what you should develop if it had enough flying areas like Wright Island it would be a money maker.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:33 AM

Question Welcome Back Jeremy a bug report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens View Post
Well spotted!

I think this is a great restart and the expansion of the plane universe is great as is the new areas (familiar from RFX) and the idea of the power ups to add some interest to the game is a great idea.

Given it's for free in early access is appreciated.

It works extremely well with the new DX Interlink and but unless I am mistaken you have to manually assign all the functions at this point but that's no drama as it took a whole of 120 seconds and is obviously designed for the DX Interlink as the assignment is flawless and it works super smooth in game.

BUG ALERT++++++watch out for Process Lasso as it defaults to just one core but its easily fixed.

I run an oc on all cores to 5.2Ghz and I7 9700K a 2080Ti and m2 memory but I was getting an annoying bug both in the races and practice.

For some reason the video freezes as does the plane quite often but the sound keeps running as does time as does the ghost plane and when it restarts the video time jumps forward as does the ghost plane and your aircraft has been held back,

I thought it may have been caused by running into a death token but it happens on every racing level and also practice. It appears to be a bug not related to computer hardware as it runs perfectly fluid on m 1920 * 1080 projector screen when it does not do this game freeze.

So to be clear the game keeps running but your aircraft just holds still.
Ok … BTW this is flat screen not VR ..yet

Went back to all default clock speeds on full high graphics setting (No bloom).

The game still looked great but had the plane holdback (its not a freeze as the game keeps running in the background as when it restarts time jumps forward but your plane is in the same place. It was so bad in the circuit I ran out of time there were so many holdbacks. So it's not the overclocking so far...

I then dialled all the graphics to minimum with no overclock and then with overclock and still getting the freezes.

Here is something interesting is that on HWINFO it shows cores 0 t 6 with virtually less than 5% usage but core 7 is maxed out and totally bound at 100% even on low graphics.

So I went to a program I run called Process Lasso which binds applications to certain cores and for some reason it had assigned just one core out of 8 to Acro being core 7. Once I allowed acro to use all cores there problem disappeared. So it was Lasso defaulting it to just one core.

I am back in the game and its awesome now to VR mode.

Bugger as I fly real aircraft and RC aircraft this is a lot of fun this game.

PS A lot of flight simmers use Process Lasso in P#D and X Plane to help bind these single core apps to a few of the fastest cores especially in VR and reserve some cores to VR processes.

Last edited by Bellah1z; 10-13-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-13-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Wow, and here I thought it was dead and buried, lol!

I just tried it with my nice new Vive Cosmos VR headset and it works very well.

I found it easiest to start off in non-VR mode in order to setup my controller (Spektrum Interlink DX) and a few graphics settings. Actually looked very nice on my flat screen.

Going into VR was easy-peezy esp. since all the menus are also now in VR. I'm looking forward to trying out all the new aircraft and fields.

This is just too good to be free mate, lol!
I think its great but I am getting a bug, see my bug report above n Jeremy's reply.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
I think its great but I am getting a bug, see my bug report above n Jeremy's reply.
I think your problem may be caused by too much overclocking of your CPU, and maybe your Ram if you have mucked around with that as well. Hopefully you have not found the need to OC your 2080ti, lol!

If I were you I would take your OC down to ~4.7ghz and see if things are a bit more stable. I have not noticed any issues in VR yet. I did drop the Acro FS quality settings back a notch (med texture, bilinear, no AA and unchecked the bottom 2 boxes. You might want to try that first.
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
I think your problem may be caused by too much overclocking of your CPU, and maybe your Ram if you have mucked around with that as well. Hopefully you have not found the need to OC your 2080ti, lol!

If I were you I would take your OC down to ~4.7ghz and see if things are a bit more stable. I have not noticed any issues in VR yet. I did drop the Acro FS quality settings back a notch (med texture, bilinear, no AA and unchecked the bottom 2 boxes. You might want to try that first.
Ok … BTW this is flat screen not VR ..yet

The game still looked great but had the plane holdback (its not a freeze as the game keeps running in the background as when it restarts time jumps forward but your plane is in the same place. It was so bad in the circuit I ran out of time there were so many holdbacks. So it's not the overclocking so far...

I then dialled all the graphics to minimum with no overclock and then with overclock and still getting the freezes.

Here is something interesting is that on HWINFO it shows cores 0 t 6 with virutally less than 5% usage but core 7 is maxed out and totally bound at 100% even on low graphics.

So I went to a program I run called Lasso which binds applications to certain cores and for some reason it had assigned just one core out of 8 to Acro being core 7. Once I allowed acro to use all cores there problem disappeared. So it was Lasso defaulting it to just one core.

Thanks for the chat Tom C its always good working with you.

Last edited by Bellah1z; 10-13-2019 at 03:25 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-13-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Ok Ö BTW this is flat screen not VR ..yet

Here is something interesting is that on HWINFO it shows cores 0 t 6 with virutally less than 5% usage but core 7 is maxed out and totally bound at 100% even on low graphics.

Bugger as I fly real aircraft and RC aircraft this is a lot of fun this game.
Sorry, I read that wrong. I thought it was crashing only in VR. I just tried both VR and non-VR and everything worked fine. In VR I do get a bit of headset screen flashing while the scenario loads but it seems to work fine after this.

The only bug I've noticed so far is that the HUD does not show up in VR. Same as with the first version and RFX. RF probably needs to add an overlay in VR, or something?

I still think it may be worthwhile to crank down your CPU overclock. Usage does not mean much, it's more of a system stability issue that too much OC can cause. I'm not a PC expert so I could be wrong.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:17 AM

I think you may be on to something with one of your cores stuck at 100%. I just checked mine and the 1st one was 30-35% and the 2nd one 40-45%, the rest 3%.

Maybe check your nvidia 3d settings and make sure your threaded optimization is set to On or Auto. Sorry, all I can think of.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Ok Ö BTW this is flat screen not VR ..yet

So I went to a program I run called Lasso which binds applications to certain cores and for some reason it had assigned just one core out of 8 to Acro being core 7. Once I allowed acro to use all cores there problem disappeared. So it was Lasso defaulting it to just one core.

Thanks for the chat Tom C its always good working with you.
OK, I was going to say I hope you were not running Lasso. That's junk software imho and I think you would be best to get rid of it. Just let Windows handle these things. Could also be the reason for your lower than expected performance with RF8/9.

Anyway, good to know it's working better now. I'd still keep your overclocking to a minimum though so your CPU lasts longer.

Please quit editing previous posts (just start a new one if necessary) because I don't normally go back to these. Your PS about XP11 guys using Lasso has pretty well been debunked by Laminar. The current findings is that XP11 works best with muli thread optimisation on or auto and this will def be the case once Vulcan is incorporated before the end of the year. I think if you uninstall Lasso and just let Windows manage things you will find things will overall work better. Up to you mate.

Last edited by TomC; 10-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
OK, I was going to say I hope you were not running Lasso. That's junk software imho and I think you would be best to get rid of it. Just let Windows handle these things. Could also be the reason for your lower than expected performance with RF8/9.

Anyway, good to know it's working better now. I'd still keep your overclocking to a minimum though so your CPU lasts longer.

Please quit editing previous posts (just start a new one if necessary) because I don't normally go back to these. Your PS about XP11 guys using Lasso has pretty well been debunked by Laminar. The current findings is that XP11 works best with muli thread optimisation on or auto and this will def be the case once Vulcan is incorporated before the end of the year. I think if you uninstall Lasso and just let Windows manage things you will find things will overall work better. Up to you mate.
I agree that Process Lasso is dunked for Xplane 11 on its own and p3D but it certainly increases my frame rates in VR. What I do is assign 4 cores to the sim and 4 to other processes like steam and other VR specific processes. The debunking dealt with the idea that multithreading was inefficient so you locked it to one core, I agree that is a waste of time now but it did not deal with assigning cores between VR processes and the sim. Anyway I don't know why Lasso decided to bind it to just one core and it was not something I had done. Lasso was on because I had been using xplane in VR and I had forgot to shut it down. I strictly only use it for VR in less than optimised multi core programs like x plane and P3D and I have never used it for Realflight.

Last edited by Bellah1z; 10-13-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Well you will never know what else Lasso is doing to your system. Imho it’s just snake oil. Same goes for registry cleaners. Any improvements is purely placebo. Win10 has come a long way in the last year or two so you should just let it do its thing. Even Game Mode finally works pretty well now.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Well you will never know what else Lasso is doing to your system. Imho itís just snake oil. Same goes for registry cleaners. Any improvements is purely placebo. Win10 has come a long way in the last year or two so you should just let it do its thing. Even Game Mode finally works pretty well now.
Ok might be time to re-evaluate to see if it stops Steam hogging the only core being used by the sim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: