Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:57 AM

Talking Best VR software on the market IMHO

Ok I have run the VR version of RFX on my old computer which is a I7 6700K Oc to 4.6GHz, 32G Ram, GTX 1080TI extreme running at 1682Mhz and 11G GDR Ram.

Running a 1TB M2 SSD Samsung Pro.

My HTC vive is cordless running the TP cast.

This is an Alienware 2016 Aurora R6 computer with a Graphics card upgrade (this card is going to SLI in my new I 9 7900X but I thought I would test RFX in an 18m old computer.

I disagree with Jeremy in that it works and looks flawless and it is quite incredible.

I have flown multimillion doillar Airline flight sims and I can tell you this is every bit as good as it is so immersive.

I obviously can't post it as you need VR but it is breath taking and mind blowing.

I have decided to stop checking frame rates and just feel the sim out and I do not notice any lag and it was smooth as velvet on my eyes.

Jeremy you guys are understating how darn good this is in VR and its really a game changer and as much as I like RF8 this is just like going from black and white TV to HDTV, its that big of a game changer.

Obviously you need a great rig but the Alienware Aurora R6 with the next chip up from the 2016 model being the I7 7700K second hand with a new card is about 2000 to 2500 USD compared to the new I9 7900x which will was 5500 , so you don't need the latest and greatest to be totally immersed.

Did I mention I maxed out all the graphics sliders??

Thanks KE for sneaking in the VR version, it is flawless, it never crashed and was fast and smooth.

Cheers guys keep developing this software, it's bloody awesome.

Last edited by Bellah1z; 01-28-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
I disagree with Jeremy in that it works and looks flawless and it is quite incredible.

I have flown multimillion doillar Airline flight sims and I can tell you this is every bit as good as it is so immersive.

I obviously can't post it as you need VR but it is breath taking and mind blowing.

I have decided to stop checking frame rates and just feel the sim out and I do not notice any lag and it was smooth as velvet on my eyes.

Jeremy you guys are understating how darn good this is in VR and its really a game changer and as much as I like RF8 this is just like going from black and white TV to HDTV, its that big of a game changer.

Cheers guys keep developing this software, it's bloody awesome.
Wow! great review, I agree RFX 1.5 is awesome.
It will be interesting to see how the I9 7900x performs, will it use all 10 cores or just 4 cores and park the rest ?
Looking forward to your next review.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Sorry but I disagree. It works ok in VR right now but still needs a lot more work imho. Scaling for both LOS and in-cockpit needs a lot of work. For VR RF8 is much more polished, but even this could be improved.

I find it very hard to believe you (bellahi1z) are getting airline simulator quality, even with your gtx1080ti. If you want a real airline-like simulator (not a RC sim) you should try the new beta 11.2 Xplane 11 sim.

If the RF team could only get 90fps in grassland and less than 45fps elsewhere with a gtx1080 I find it hard to believe your gtx1080ti pops all this up to 90fps everywhere, esp with all quality settings maxed out. with my gtx1060 I can get 90fps on grasslands with medium settings, but only ~30-40fps elsewhere, including lots of stuttering and aircraft ghosting.

My fairly good laptop handles rf8 and Xplane 11 in VR very well. I recently bought Ultrawings from the Steam store and this is a fun little airline-like simulator.

I gotta say that rfx in non-vr looks fantastic. However, as a day to day RC simulator flown LOS, rf8 physics are far better imho. The rfx eye candy is nice for a while but flying around Wright Island a few times admiring the view gets a bit old after a while.

I'm pretty sure that I will just end up uninstalling rfx and wait for a final 1.5 release (later this year?). I suspect that KE will concentrate more on polishing rf8 since this is likely going to be a bigger seller for them now and in the near future.

Alienware 17 R4 laptop
i7 7700hq 2.8/3.6ghz
32gb ddr4 ram
250gb ssd, 1tb gtx1060
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Sorry but I disagree. It works ok in VR right now but still needs a lot more work imho. Scaling for both LOS and in-cockpit needs a lot of work. For VR RF8 is much more polished, but even this could be improved.

I find it very hard to believe you (bellahi1z) are getting airline simulator quality, even with your gtx1080ti. If you want a real airline-like simulator (not a RC sim) you should try the new beta 11.2 Xplane 11 sim.

Alienware 17 R4 laptop
i7 7700hq 2.8/3.6ghz
32gb ddr4 ram
250gb ssd, 1tb gtx1060
Have you tried the physics threaded command ?
Open the Console, (ctrl+alt+~ key) type in the command "physics_threaded 2"
change the "2" to "0" to disable
Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Have you tried the physics threaded command ?
Open the Console, (ctrl+alt+~ key) type in the command "physics_threaded 2"
change the "2" to "0" to disable
Yes I did. Made no difference. I've now unistalled rfx (and gained ~30gb ssd drive space. I'll just monitor this rfx thread and see when the next version comes out. I'm happy I tried it though. Only a ~$90 experiment with Tower discount.

I'm very happy with rf8 so I'll just stick with that as my go to RC sim (plus a little VR fun once in a while).
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 AM

You need more power, all around to make RF-X work well in VR. I've gotten 90fps with the 1080ti in most places in RF-X and it's very smooth. I also have a 7700k CPU that is much faster than the one in your laptop and it has a mild over clock to 5ghz (4ghz normal speed to 4.8ghz boosted stock) coupled with ddr4 3200mhz memory. A 1080ti is quite possibly the fastest gpu currently available until the next generation cards come out and has more than double the computing power of the 1060 as well as 11gb of VRam which also helps in this case.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:12 AM

Ya, better cpu and gpu are going to help run things a lot more smoothly.

The main problem with rfx vr is that it hasn’t been optimized for vr. The scale is all wrong for most los and in-cockpit views. Rf8 is far better overall imho and does not need a gtx1080ti to make it work well.

Rfx physics need a lot of work as well. They are nowhere as good as rf8, which I think are the best yet. This is more important to me than eye candy. Hopefully rfx will cover all bases in the near future. Until then, cya!

Last edited by TomC; 03-20-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:

If the RF team could only get 90fps in grassland and less than 45fps elsewhere with a gtx1080 I find it hard to believe your gtx1080ti pops all this up to 90fps everywhere, esp with all quality settings maxed out. with my gtx1060 I can get 90fps on grasslands with medium settings, but only ~30-40fps elsewhere, including lots of stuttering and aircraft ghosting.

My fairly good laptop handles rf8 and Xplane 11 in VR very well. I recently bought Ultrawings from the Steam store and this is a fun little airline-like simulator.

I gotta say that rfx in non-vr looks fantastic. However, as a day to day RC simulator flown LOS, rf8 physics are far better imho. The rfx eye candy is nice for a while but flying around Wright Island a few times admiring the view gets a bit old after a while.

I'm pretty sure that I will just end up uninstalling rfx and wait for a final 1.5 release (later this year?). I suspect that KE will concentrate more on polishing rf8 since this is likely going to be a bigger seller for them now and in the near future.

Alienware 17 R4 laptop
i7 7700hq 2.8/3.6ghz
32gb ddr4 ram
250gb ssd, 1tb gtx1060
Hi Tom I posted a review today with the Alienware Auora i7 8700K with a m2 drive and 1080TI. I have overclocked the I7 to 5.2 Ghz with the Alienware stock water cooler.

It's running very sweet and my point is that I have flown the real B767 300 F sim at Qantas a few times and ok the actual hardware is bloody unreal but the Visuals are much better in RFX. It may have to do with the fact the sim is 10 years old at Qantas I guess !

Anyway I am getting over 90 FPS on a 4k screen at 105hz, it's fluid and looks smooth as silk.

(On Grasslands its 140 FPS at 4k 105Hz and 250 FPS at 1920 x 1080 105Hz )

The Vive Pro I have not measured the frame rate but I spent two hours flying in it and my eyes were not getting tired so I guess this is close to the 4k performance.

I mentioned I returned the Area 51 I9 7900x as the 10 core setup is bloody useless as most of the work is done by just one core and the i9 could not be overclocked beyond 4.6ghz and the power consumption was crazy as was the heat.

I am very pleased with my watercooled i7 8700K and 1080Ti combo that replaced it at half the cost.

( I should mention I delidded the i7 and reapplied silver thermal paste to keep the temps down)

Last edited by Bellah1z; 04-26-2018 at 05:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 AM

Glad to hear this is working fine for you. Thanks for the i9 and i7 overclock info.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear this is working fine for you. Thanks for the i9 and i7 overclock info.
You are welcome mate, if you have any questions just ask but I have returned the i9 as it was such bad performance compared to my old i7 7700K .... the i7 8700K is certainly the sweet spot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: