Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69 View Post
A little bit on the spinner and engine objects:
The Engine object is a required component and the spinner is not.
The spinner is dependent on the the engine. (At least in naming convention)
An aircraft can have multiple engines and each needs a unique ID.
The way this is done is just to tack a numeral at the end of the ~CS_ENGINE. For example ~CS_ENGINE1, ~CS_ENGINE2, ~CS_ENGINE3 etc...
The spinner that belongs to each needs to have the same numeral after it's name.
~CS_SPINNER1, ~CS_SPINNER2, ~CS_SPINNER3
The Geometry used as a placeholder for the propeller ~CS_ENGINE is placed so it's pivot is where you wish the back of the propeller to be.
I usually link both the spinner and engine objects to the fuselage to insure no issues in RF.
Thanks for the info. I linked both of them to the fuselage after reading that's what to do so I should be set. Here's what I ended up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sch-pic.jpg (115.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 AM

I've been learning how to create a color scheme. How's this for a Boxie Flyer? I haven't touched the engine yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoxieFlyer01.jpg (82.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 AM

Very nice! Simple box flyer=simple CS. The open box logo is very clever!
Only question is if the percent of area on the colors provide enough contrast for good visibility at a distance.
What is the wing span dimension?

It may be the light and angle, but it looks like there is some color bleed along the top edge of the left fuselage side??

Last edited by Fly_electric; 12-13-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Good eye FE. He needs to enlarge his coloring book just a little. This is one job where instead of coloring inside the lines, it pays to actually stay just outside them instead.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Good eye FE. He needs to enlarge his coloring book just a little. This is one job where instead of coloring inside the lines, it pays to actually stay just outside them instead.
hey i can do that haha go outside lines , nice progress , herc40 had me learning i got a wing shape built but that was years ago my computer died bought new computer and never took it back up seems like to many things on the go in life
Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
Very nice! Simple box flyer=simple CS. The open box logo is very clever!
Only question is if the percent of area on the colors provide enough contrast for good visibility at a distance.
What is the wing span dimension?

It may be the light and angle, but it looks like there is some color bleed along the top edge of the left fuselage side??
Ha... Notice the time on my post, 5:36 AM. By that time I wanted to do two things, show my progress and get to bed. I noticed the faces weren't completely touching at the edges (slight dotting on the edges) and the left wing color wasn't right at the tip (some orange some blue). I started to fix it but looked at the time and said, my gosh how time flies when you're having fun, and went to bed.

So a little about where I'm at, to me at least, comments are welcome. The BoxTrainer project has went beyond what the video taught me in several areas. The BoxTrainer video didn't cover how to create a color scheme you just made a placeholder TGA that was all Red, so I had to Google how to create a color scheme. Then I remembered that Boof69 was suppose to have a bunch of videos so after I created my first color scheme using the info from the link below I went back to a private message to find out where the rest of his videos were, the ones in RF 6 Designer's Corner. I guess that part worked out better, Sort Of, because I got the info about creating a color scheme from two places. I didn't watch much of Boof's video about color mapping, I skipped to the end when he was using the UVW editor. I should have watched more of it but didn't have time because I wanted to get something done by the end of the day (or early morning as it turned out). Hey... I've always worked on a tight schedule so I took some shortcuts. <grin> Anyway I got it done, but it fought me because I failed to notice something important, because I had the Edit UVW window maximized to see better. What I didn't notice is that you can tell which surface you're mapping by looking at the plane in the main 3ds window when you select a surface in the Edit UVW window. So I ended up creating at least one surface backwards from the way I wanted it. That is the left wing top panel. I wanted the wrap around faces on the top surface but since I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't see the connection between the Edit UVW window and the plane surface I did the right wing the way I wanted and the left wing opposite. That is the wrap around edge faces on the bottom of the wing instead of the top. That's why the left wing has orange showing where it should be blue. The color scheme has a blue/orange strip on the top of the wing and an orange/blue strip on the bottom of the wing. Mostly because I was testing how the color scheme panels were laid out. Anyway I'm making progress and enjoying the learning process. But it reminds me of work, now since I'm retired I mostly drink coffee and wonder why I ever worked. Oh yeah, that starving to death thing. <grin>

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/uv...s-max--cg-4477

Two questions. Is there a way to go back and modify the two panels I talked about, the left wing top and bottom in the tga file, making the wrap around edges attach to the top panel instead of the bottom. No biggie but it would be nice to know. And second. I thought I seen something about making the edges of each panel in the color scheme a bit wider by default but can't remember if it was that or something I didn't understand. Of course right now that would be most things. Hey guys, thanks for all your help it's much appreciated.

And last the color scheme isn't done yet, but it won't change too much. A little stronger color for the main color, it's a bit light. Oh. I used the Big Stik physics and the plane is the same size, 55 inch wingspan.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM

You can put a UVW unwrap modifier on those objects and it will open your current mapping for editing. You can open a single object or many objects in the UVW unwrap modifier. For instance you can select the wings and ailerons and map the surfaces together so that your textures can flow over multiple objects. This prevents edge matching during color scheming. This is a playlist to cover mapping. It is pretty indepth. At the time I didn't know about the "Normalize Map" feature. It's function is to force the selection to fit within the 1to1 square. This is undesirable because it doesn't respect proportion. This is on by default and must be unchecked every time you open the uv editer. It is the last item in the UVWUnwrap modifier toolbar. Map everything this way then size together as much as possible at the end.
Another thing to know about mapping that is covered in the video is mapping one half of the model. Then by mirror copying parts to the other side you will have a full mapped model. However the mapping will be stacked. You will need to select the mirrored parts and then flip the mapping.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You can put a UVW unwrap modifier on those objects and it will open your current mapping for editing. You can open a single object or many objects in the UVW unwrap modifier. For instance you can select the wings and ailerons and map the surfaces together so that your textures can flow over multiple objects. This prevents edge matching during color scheming. This is a playlist to cover mapping. It is pretty indepth. At the time I didn't know about the "Normalize Map" feature. It's function is to force the selection to fit within the 1to1 square. This is undesirable because it doesn't respect proportion. This is on by default and must be unchecked every time you open the uv editer. It is the last item in the UVWUnwrap modifier toolbar. Map everything this way then size together as much as possible at the end.
Another thing to know about mapping that is covered in the video is mapping one half of the model. Then by mirror copying parts to the other side you will have a full mapped model. However the mapping will be stacked. You will need to select the mirrored parts and then flip the mapping.
Thanks I'll check that out.

Here's an updated pic of the plane. I widened the stripes on the wings. Changed the rudder to Blue, and darkened the main color a bit. I also widened the panels in the TGA file for the body by 2 pixels each. I'll do the rest of them but that's enough for now, it's Saturday and my best friend's coming over to help decorate the tree. Saturday's always family day, a great time of eating and chatter, even if it's only a few of us these days. Have a great day and thanks for all your help, everyone's been so good about bringing me up to speed.

BTW. Boxie Flyer's not done and could grow to be my first EA. I want to make some significant changes to make it a reasonable trainer. Or is that a bad idea? I'm planning on smoothing the square corners, modifying the nose, and just general changes to make it more of a first plane created from a sample. Would that be okay with you ??? Of course maybe that's a dumb idea, but I like the little guy, he's like me. Simple!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoxieFlyer02.jpg (81.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me. I suggest you make a copy of the file for modification of course. You can learn some vital skills from doing just this.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea to me. I suggest you make a copy of the file for modification of course. You can learn some vital skills from doing just this.
Thanks, it just seems like such a waste of effort if I don't finish it out and make something of it. I've already made a copy of the first pass, but I'll admit I haven't kept a few files in different states as I went along. Of course when I first started I didn't think I'd do much to it, but as I went along it seemed like I should finish it out. If anyone would be interested I'd be happy to release a copy of the EA in the Designer's corner, or give it to you to release as a finished copy of boxtrainer.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:44 PM

No that's your work. You should upload it. If nothing else it's great to do as a history of your modeling experiences. I like to look at my first model every once in a while to see how far I've come. Build threads are awesome for that as well. I will often re read old build threads and look at the renders. Fun stuff. My original intention with that video was to lessen the load of making a model for RF. To just show the process with no real focus on modeling techniques. If you want to expand on the model then I say "great". Should you every think you might need some help with more involved stuff we could set up a skype session and try some different techniques.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Its more than likely a little too advanced at the moment, but I highly recommend watching Boofs ''Ride Along'' series. He takes you through a complex build step by step most of the way. By the end, you'll have a visual example of many, if not most, of the techniques we all use.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
No that's your work. You should upload it. If nothing else it's great to do as a history of your modeling experiences. I like to look at my first model every once in a while to see how far I've come. Build threads are awesome for that as well. I will often re read old build threads and look at the renders. Fun stuff. My original intention with that video was to lessen the load of making a model for RF. To just show the process with no real focus on modeling techniques. If you want to expand on the model then I say "great". Should you every think you might need some help with more involved stuff we could set up a skype session and try some different techniques.
Thanks I'll remember that when I get into trouble and need some help!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Its more than likely a little too advanced at the moment, but I highly recommend watching Boofs ''Ride Along'' series. He takes you through a complex build step by step most of the way. By the end, you'll have a visual example of many, if not most, of the techniques we all use.
Yes I seen those and will be looking at them later.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:15 AM

Technoid, I'd first like to welcome you to K.E. Forums and I'd just like to say, what amazing progress you've made! It took me quite a while to get my first model, but it was worth all of it. Glad to see more people getting into the art and beauty of this! Great job and great progress! Looking forward to more models and work from you later on!

Cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: