Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM

Value of using 3D monitor w. RF 7.5?

I'm toying with the idea of using RF 7.5 with a 3D monitor (along with appropriate supporting hardware, and NVIDIA graphics card).

I'd be interested in hearing comments re the value of doing this.

Does it provide a significant improvement in the simulation experience? What size monitor is optimal?

Tx

Last edited by lmcwilli; 05-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:12 PM

The larger the monitor the better.

Conceptualize it by thinking that the monitor is akin to a pane of glass or a window with your plane on the other side.

If you get a large enough monitor, the visual scale of what you see can be 1:1 to a real plane at a distance.

You don't need a 70" monitor to achieve that, ( but oh is that nice in 3D! ) and even a 30" monitor does a pretty good job.

You are also MUCH better off using a 3D Computer monitor over a 3D TV.

The former is capable of providing a much higher refresh rate to each eye eliminating perceived flicker and helping to reduce ghosting.

Things do improve because of depth perception ( hint TURN OFF CLOUDS! ) however it is not an end-all by itself.

In the real world your eyes do a poor job at depth perception beyond 30-60 ft.

I've seen people smack a $18,000 jet into a tree because they thought the jet was in front of the tree when it was actually behind and flying towards it...

At distance having a 3D monitor does not make a big difference, closer in, it's pretty neat.

I urge students to utilize visual cues at our airfield to determine the position of a plane.

e.g. line up their approaches along a guard fence for pilots we have, look for shadows at the threshold, etc... things that you can already do with the sim.

Now get 3 or more 3D monitors and head tracking software, and fire up something like Flaming Cliffs or Arma and THAT is a whole new experience....

Realflight not so much because as in the real world, your eyes should be focused on the plane itself at all times, not the airfield.

FYI Nvidia rates Realflight 3D support as Good or Excellent.

The biggest problem are the clouds, which do not render properly in each frame, so you are advised to turn them off... every day will be a "clear day" in the 3D Sim world.

Last edited by opjose; 05-08-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:28 PM

Tx Mahn. Helpful comments :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: