Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Boxie Flyer

While I watched the video on how to create a boxmodel by Boof69 I followed along and created the plane in 3ds Max too, so I ended up with a good starting point for something else. So I decided to carry on from there and make a plane of my own design building on the boxmodel I created during his video. So here's the beginning of the Boxie Flyer, the follow on to Boof69's BoxModel. Here's a render of where I am today and we'll see what I end up with. I'm not sure what I'll do from here but I plan to clean it up some and create my own engine too. Please keep in mind this is my first real model so don't expect too much, especially from the engine. I just want to clean it up and round it out. Nothing special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxie Flyer 01.jpg (105.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:10 PM

"Rounding out" the fuse would be a little time consuming with what you`ve got, if that`s one of your goals. You could start another plane, choosing a cylinder as your starting point for your fuse. You can elongate, taper it any way you want with a little practice. As for stabs and wings, you can taper/ round them any way you want with what you`ve got on this model, practice makes perfect, I must have watched the box trainer vid or parts of it 100 times. It`s important that you learn about verts (hope I got that right, it`s been awhile) and how to add / manipulate/ place /connect them..
Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 PM

Just wanted to add, that this plane was my FIRST build, without any building skills whatsoever. Building a plane for RF was something I had always wanted to do since I found out that it could be done ( late 2009 ) Granted, I bit off more than I could chew for a first model, but I loved the looks of it. So I dove in, from the "HIGH DIVE" for a first time build. Don`t know what the hell I was thinking, but I finally got her locked and loaded. Just saying, don`t give up. If I could do it, so can you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1401150780.jpg (287.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:59 PM

And what a great job you did too UT.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Just wanted to add, that this plane was my FIRST build, without any building skills whatsoever. Building a plane for RF was something I had always wanted to do since I found out that it could be done ( late 2009 ) Granted, I bit off more than I could chew for a first model, but I loved the looks of it. So I dove in, from the "HIGH DIVE" for a first time build. Don`t know what the hell I was thinking, but I finally got her locked and loaded. Just saying, don`t give up. If I could do it, so can you...
That's a Beautiful Plane, congrats on a job well done. I might have used the wrong word when I said I wanted to "round it out". If you knew me better you'd know I'm the guy at the field that flew a Das Ugly Stick and Scat Cat all the time. So rounding it out to me means creating a reasonable engine and mount, add an airfoil to the wing, some tricycle gear, and tweaking the color scheme. And maybe a cockpit of some sort. So finishing up the package is what I really meant by rounding it out I don't plan a scale engine of any particular manufacturer just something that looks like a generic engine. A simple plane for a simple guy. I'm not saying someday I won't jump off the High Dive though!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM

After I made some mods I imported the plane I'm working on but used a different physics airplane than before and it just sit there on the ground shaking it's head off and never stopped. It would fly okay but as long as it was on the ground it sit there shaking, pretty badly. So I have a question. When you import an airplane RealFlight asks for a plane as a starting point for the Physics. I was of the impression there was no linkage between the Graphics Model and the Physics Model, but the difference in the way my model reacted with a different physics airplane as a starting point seems to say other wise. So the question is, what kind of linkage is there between the Graphics Model and the Physics Model of the airplane you pick when you import a model you're working on?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM

What you are seeing is the effects of the base physics using springy landing gear. You can change the gear type in the editor to standard gear and the bouncing will stop.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
What you are seeing is the effects of the base physics using springy landing gear. You can change the gear type in the editor to standard gear and the bouncing will stop.
Thanks for the info. After I made a few more mods and imported the KEX file again the shaking when away, and from what you said here and opjose said in another thread the springy landing gear was the problem. One of the things I modified is to make the current landing gear about 1.6 inches wider, so according to what you guys said that's what fixed the shaking problems. But it sure did look strange, and perfectly fit what you guys said was the problem.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Yup, been there, done that...........many, many times. If you want to use the springy gear, you'll have to set the pivots for the gear correctly, then set the physics frame as well before the bouncing stops.

Last edited by abaser; 12-15-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM

And let me add that springy gear really adds to the realism. It can be simple as on my hog bipe, or very complex as on my Piper Pawnee. That one took some head scratching by Boof and myself.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Got a question. I wanted to use a different name for the MAX file so I just renamed all the files in the folder, but now when I load the MAX file it gives an error message about the old TGA filename is missing. I looked around and did some changes but they didn't work so I ignored it for a bit, but when I created a new map with the new TGA filename now it won't let me export the KEX file and says I have too many bitmaps. So where are these listed and how do I fix this. I've done some stuff but it didn't work so I won't go into it. But it seems now I have more than one TGA file assigned and can't get rid of the first one.

A little more info. The first filename was 'Boxie Flyer.max', changed it to Boxie Flyer-V1.max' so I could just increment the Vx part at the end to save versions. I did that to the TGA file too. Then it started complaining that Boxie Flyer.tga was missing but everything seemed to work so I did a little more thinking I'd fix it later. But when I mapped it again and created the new TGA file with the V1 name. So now I have two bitmaps in it and it won't let me export it any longer. I know, I'm a dummy, but here I am, help.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM

You've got two tga files attached to two different materials. Apply the one you want to use to the model, then select the old one, right click the m beside the diffuse box and select clear. I believe that's how I've done it in the past.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 PM

The next time something like that happens, click the m beside the diffuse box. This should change the options. You will find a navigation bar there. Click browse and go to your new file.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
You've got two tga files attached to two different materials. Apply the one you want to use to the model, then select the old one, right click the m beside the diffuse box and select clear. I believe that's how I've done it in the past.
I found it. I created a canopy last night from a tutorial I seen on the web and in it you added the canopy to the image map, but I didn't need that and when I finally found where I could remove that everything started to work again. Thanks for the help it points me in directions I don't always go. Here's a render of the canopy. I've made some changes to the body too, shortened the nose and tail sections. I'll work on it more later. Right now I'm having fun learning more about the tool and expanding on the simple model I created. Thanks for all your help.

And yes I had two files attached and got rid of the second one using the '-Vx' extension. I'll use a different way of archiving so I don't get into trouble again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxie Flyer 02.jpg (104.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by technoid; 12-16-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:31 PM

I know one thing about you already. You really help yourself in your learning. That's kinda rare. Only the die hards here are like that. You are doing terrific as a new modeler. I can tell you like to solve problems by way of research and only asking for help on sticking points. Your first directed build is going to be so much easier and of higher quality because of this project. I'm looking forward to seeing your work evolve.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: