Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
If you release it 6.0/ 6.5, RF 7 users would be able to import it and make a variant if necessary. If you release it in 7, nobody before 7 will be able to import it
I was afraid of that, the only version of RealFight I have is 7. So I guess I won't worry about making it backwards compatible to RF 6.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOE8...27Twn_53jPgVvw Just in case you want more on smoothing groups.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOE8...27Twn_53jPgVvw Just in case you want more on smoothing groups.
Thanks I'll check it out right now.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Here's a render of where I'm at now. I've been working on rounding out the parts, so far I've worked on the control surfaces and the fuselage. I'm not done with them but thought I'd post an update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxie Flyer 04.jpg (116.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 PM

Looking good.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Thumbs up

Clean, crisp, well done.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
nice we have a new modeler , looking as Fly said " Clean, crisp, well done" 8)
Old 12-20-2014, 05:02 PM

I started working on the engine today. I thought I'd do something a little different and base it loosely on the McCoy 40 RC from long ago. I think the poly count is too low on my first pass because you can see some flat siding on the cooling fins and the bearing on the front of the engine so I'm going to see if I can fix that.

EDIT: I went back this evening and fixed the low poly count on the engine so it looks better. If you look at the first picture and the second picture you can tell in the fin area and where the bearing is there's very little flat siding now. I also changed the intake on the carb so you can see down in it. I only had one engine mount before, the one you can see, so I added the one on the back and after everything was done the poly and vert counts were nearly the same as before, thanks to some cleaning up I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine 01.jpg (77.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg engine 03.jpg (52.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by technoid; 12-21-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Lol I have one of those engines but in a 35 and a CL version. It was my dad's and he got it in the 50's when he scratch built CL models as a kid. It still runs great as we start it up one or twice a year on a test stand. No muffler as the exhaust comes right out the side of the cylinder and no Carburetor either. Wide open all the time with just a single needle valve.

Last edited by csgill75; 12-20-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Lol I have one of those engines but in a 35 and a CL version. It was my dad's and he got it in the 50's when he scratch built CL models as a kid. It still runs great as we start it up one or twice a year on a test stand. No muffler as the exhaust comes right out the side of the cylinder and no Carburetor either. Wide open all the time with just a single needle valve.
My Dad had one of the McCoy 35's on a Tomahawk control line too. And one of my friends always used McCoy engines when I flew control line while I was in the Air Force, that was 1968 to 1976. I used Fox engines usually, the Fox Stunt 35.

BTW: I added a picture to my first post about working on the engine that shows the other side of the McCoy 40 RC, it used a rotating plate to adjust back pressure for idle and no muffler. I remember those.

Got a question how difficult is it to animate from 3ds Max to RealFlight? Playing with modeling the engine has me thinking about doing it up all the way.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 AM

Its not hard to animate. More time consuming than anything. The most important thing is getting the pivot points set correctly in max. It looks real good so far.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
Its not hard to animate. More time consuming than anything. The most important thing is getting the pivot points set correctly in max. It looks real good so far.
Thanks. I'm not sure what I'll do there. I'll probably end up leaving that for my next plane. I added another render to my post about starting work on the engine showing some improvements I made. I put a note about what I did too.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:02 PM

I worked on the engine again today and added the exhaust port. I also went through all the objects and deleted all the unnecessary polys which saved a lot, so I think I'll call it done and move on to creating the motor mount and put it on the plane. It's hard to stop tweaking on it but I think I've got my first goal finished for the engine, a generic engine that looks nice. Here's another render showing the exhaust port. I'll probably work on it more later but right not I'm excited about getting it on the plane and working on the physics. That should be great fun, getting everything setup and working properly. She has a 60 inch wingspan with a 12 inch cord and 2 inch ailerons which together will be about 828 sq. inches of wing area. Hopefully that will make a nice flying plane with a slow stall speed. The engine, wing, and horizontal stabilizer are all on the same center line so it should track clean. I've always liked simple RC airplanes and this is one of them.

I've really been enjoying this and am learning a lot, but what you guys do is the real deal I think I'm just dabbling in it. But thanks for letting me join in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine 04.jpg (52.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:21 PM

We all started out the same way. I look back on my earlier models occasionally just to see how far I've come, and believe me, I've come pretty far. By the time you get a couple under your belt, you will have learned so much more than you think, and will be creating models just as good as you think ours are. I say it like that because if everyone is like me, I don't think my models are near as good as others say. I do think they're good, but I also see so many things I should've done in the end.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
We all started out the same way. I look back on my earlier models occasionally just to see how far I've come, and believe me, I've come pretty far. By the time you get a couple under your belt, you will have learned so much more than you think, and will be creating models just as good as you think ours are. I say it like that because if everyone is like me, I don't think my models are near as good as others say. I do think they're good, but I also see so many things I should've done in the end.
Thanks. I know what you mean about getting better as time goes by, and building better models the next time. Since this is my first plane I've been playing around with different ways of building parts and redoing stuff several times when I get a different idea, so lot's of time spent doing the same thing over and over. But I'm having fun learning so I don't think I'm wasting my time. And learning the tool (3ds max) is pretty time consuming for sure, I'm getting there, but not yet. I just got through adding the motor mount and putting the engine on the plane so I'll add another render to show my progress. As much as I'd like to do a few more things I think I'm going to move on with what I've got. I suppose the last thing I need to do is improve the front gear and round out the tires. Right now the front gear is a straight wire down to the wheel so I probably need to fix that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxie Flyer 05.jpg (154.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by technoid; 12-23-2014 at 03:09 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: