Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Nice paint

Very nice job on that paint scheme, much neater than mine, that's for sure.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:27 AM

Paint & other stuff

I took the day off today, and played a little with the paint shop. To me, the flight model is the crux of the issue and I can say that the Pro model of yours is "hard" just the the real heli so I assume the "stock" model is also representatively easier never having flown one.

I also took the heli out to "the big field" this morning and find that the CP Pro is probably not as good an aircraft to "slam around the sky" as you would a plane.

The planes go faster and on the upside, they become more stable. You only need to keep them from heading at the ground and everything is okay.

No matter how fast or slow the heli goes, it -always- wants to depart flight. Man you need to babysit that thing. ;-)

Different strokes, I'm still enjoying my CP even though it's hovering that I'll do the most. Just one fixed wing modelers opinion.

I did have a guy come upto me today, was driving a sand truck and said he flew double rotor heli's in the army. I was so proud to show him how sophisticated this cool little model is!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:31 AM

Angry typo

<snip>I can say that the Pro model of yours is "hard" just LIKE the real heli...<snip>
Old 09-16-2006, 12:16 PM

So which version is the most accurate

I was curious with all the posted versions what is the best one for being realistic to the real RC Helicopter in flying?
Old 09-16-2006, 07:53 PM

So which version is the most accurate

I'm using Remy's model from post #15 and that seems ultra realistic for my CP Pro. I set the RealFlight wind parameters to this -

Simulation/ Settings/ Wind and Weather
Gust: 25%
Variance: 25%

And then when Realflight starts I use the PageUp key to get the wind somewhere around 8 MPH.

This setup will keep you very busy.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:30 PM

Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 01:59 PM

Exclamation CP Pro Skin

Here is another "skin" for the Blade CP using Remy's great looking logo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BladeCPPro.zip (49.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 09-17-2006, 10:02 PM

Just tried this one, and I prefer the enhanced blade like based upon the watt-not
Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 AM

watt nott

I've done a version based on the watt not, the problem was that to make it fly anything like the blade was more work than starting from the mx or dominion. It always felt very mushy and sluggish compared to how a blade handles.

The current versions of the domion based one seem pretty close. The basic CP version is based on what I fly now and feels pretty similar but without the tendancy to yo yo if it's not perfect, or twitch the tail in the wind. Not much I can do about those, they're not flight physics issues, they're engineering trade offs to save money on the Blade, we don't get a "plastic crap" option in G3

From what I'm hearing the Pro flies about right, and it seems good to me. It feels like my CP with lots of extra power and responsiveness, accounting for the better power system and bell-hiller links.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyrw
Here's the regular CP I've been working on. It SHOULD work just fine now.

I also uploaded a slightly improved CP Pro version. Nothing major, just minor tweaks but if you are downloading new, this is the version of that to get. I'm not sure, but I think the CP Stock should automatically choose the proper color scheme if you have it, but otherwise, you want to download and use the yellow one from a few posts back. That's the best we've got right now. Come on, I know there's a 3d modeler out there who wants to take on this project. I'll send you all the pics you could possibly want of it to work from.
Hey, Thanks for the Blade CP models for Real Flight. The flight characteristics are pretty good. In the store, I did a little playing with their demo setup and made some very quick changes on the MX400 to make it a little more blade like (take off the heading hold gyro, etc) and was dissappointed when I got home and found the mx400 is in another $30 package...Thanks to you, I'm no longer frustrated by this...your model definitely is along the right lines of challenging for beginning hovering. I'm still really at the 1-3 foot stage with my BCP right now, and crash when I get above that...I've been mainly flying indoors in relatively small spaces, and have learned enough to get the basic concept of hovering from Radd's school of rotary flight, but the confines of the spaces I've been in have included many a rotor blade damaging object. I figured the Real flight will make up for it's cost in repairs pretty quickly, the way I love flying the heli...

One note on what I've noticed so far between the collective and throttle mixing is that on my stock blade, I start to get light on the gear (with training gear adding weight) with collective trim at 0 (all the way down) and stick at about 60-65%. I find I get the same stick-to-lift characteristics with your CP-Stock model with about 33 clicks of collective trim dialed in. Is there any quick fix for this? I'm not going to need to be dialing any more power in than I'll get from the stick at this trim setting for a while...Reason I don't use any collective trim right now is so I can get all my rotors stopped with one flick of the thumb when a collision is impending. Also, for a little more realism relating to "stock" have you considered mimicking the controller layout (right toggle is idle-up, the rest do nothing)?

Anyways...thanks for the great model!

-Drew
Old 09-23-2006, 01:32 PM

curves

Very timely post, Drew. I was just messing with curves last night and thinking I could adjust them a bit to more closely match the Blade. The problem is that everyone's blade is different because we set them up a little differently. With something this light and imprecise even just how recently it was lubed will effect where it gets light on the skids.

All that said, I'm going to try to adjust it a bit, it's close but not as close as it could be now that I'm fiddling with the pitch and throttle curves. E-Flite uses a straight line "curve" for both in normal mode but that doesn't seem to match up quite right. Probably just an issue of the blades not being quite the same and other minor details that add up to not being exactly like the real ones.

As for the controller, nope, hadn't considered it, most radios match this layout fairly well so I figured it was good practice for the future. I'll see about a quick tweak and maybe post a version that puts idle up on the right switch and nothing on the others. While I'm doing that I might just use the rotary knob to fix the light on the skids variable, if I make that a pitch adjustment with just a degree or two of range you could tweak it as needed. I'll fiddle

Since I still don't run lipos mine doesn't really get light on the skids till about 50% and 50% trim, hover is around 75-80% and any real flight requires nearly 100% since I've still got symetricals on it. My flat bottom blades were too beat up and I just couldn't get them to both balance and track, not without serious surgery that wasn't worth it. Like you I mostly just hover inside for practice, my outside flights are rare due to wind, so I'm just using Real Flight for more aggressive flying and waiting to get the electronics for my T-Rex and start flying that. It sits there half together teasing me.

Oh, to most accurately simulate the Blade, the controls would currently be left as follows.
Top right switch ignored.
Knob currently has no effect, sorry blade pro users.
Top left switch would be fully back for normal, middle position for idle up. The blade doesn't use a full throttle idle up so the middle position is closest.
Front left switch UP. This is your duel rates and expo change and I have it set pretty aggressively. If you flip it down you lose a LOT of control input and the middle of the stick is going to be REALLY soft. That is obviously NOT like the real blade of any variety except maybe a tired CX.

Last edited by remyrw; 09-23-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Enjoy

Still some quirks to fix on this version but it's got the controls reset to the format E-Flite uses and the light on the skids point adjusted. I wish MINE got light on the skids that early with no trim but them's the breaks.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x Blade_CP_Controller_AV.G3X (36.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 PM

Remyrw,

I've been using your CP Pro-V3 model for a while and really love it. I just upgraded to version G3.5 of RealFlight and the CP Pro no longer works - it just spins wildly out of control as soon as throttle is given. Any plans on making this 3.5 compatible?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 PM

I hadn't planned to

But if it's that far off, definitely. I'm runnin 3.5 as well now. I'll get on it asap, which should mean it is ready in the next day or two. Thanks for the heads up. I'm mostly flying a T-rex model these days but still enjoy my Blade.

--edit--
Wow, that's really weird. I could not get it to stop locking up the tail rotor no matter what I did. I have started working on an Axe based version but for some reason I can't get the tail dialed in at all. it behaves very oddly. These might be 3.5 issues or it might just be me losing my marbles, I'll do some more work and figure it out.

Here's a version off the dominion that works, I still haven't pinned down the tail rotor issue with the other one. The V35 part indicates it's not only version 3.5 but FOR version 3.5
Attached Files
File Type: g3x CPP_V35_AV.G3X (36.7 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by remyrw; 11-06-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the quick update. The Dominion-based CPP works fine in 3.5.

Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: