Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Jeremy,

I've been working on a new plane, a T-28 Trojan, and am almost ready to release it but there's a problem in RF-X maybe you can tell me the answer to. The plane get's stuck on the runway and won't move. Usually you can give it a short burst of a fair amount of throttle to break it loose but if you taxi for a bit and stop there's a good chance it will get stuck again. It does this on different airports and I've had that same problem in RF-X 1.0 too. I'd really like to fix it because it turned out to be a nice plane and that kind of messes it up in RF-X, it works fine in RF-8. The plane has a full collision mesh and the last thing I tried was to make sure the collision mesh for the tire wasn't touching the landing gear or anything around it but it still did the same thing. SO.. Any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

Oh. I tried a couple of built-in planes and none of them had any problem at all so it must be something I'm doing wrong, is there some setting needed in 3ds Max or the RealFlight physics I'm missing? I've had this same problem with other planes too in RF-X so it's not just this plane.

One more piece of info. Sometimes it's stuck worse than other and once I kept increasing the throttle slowly and finally the front gear broke off.

Last edited by technoid; 02-11-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Technoid, we've occasionally seen problems with wheels if there are too few polys in their collision frames. You might try using a higher-poly collision frame. Let us know if that works.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Willis View Post
Is there anyway to order a new DVD for the latest release.

<snip>

2/11/2018 10:17 pm

Well the download started again and completed. It started copying all of the files and then generated the "Out of Memory" error.

I will be calling KnifeEdge tomorrow for assistance.
Robert,

Since this is a beta update, there aren't plans to create DVDs for this version. When the release version of 1.5 is ready, it will be available on disk.

If you're getting the out of memory error, then you should now be ready to try the steps listed to work around that problem (#2 here). Leave the box to delete your download cache unchecked, and you will not need to download anything you've already got.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens View Post
Technoid, we've occasionally seen problems with wheels if there are too few polys in their collision frames. You might try using a higher-poly collision frame. Let us know if that works.
Thanks. The existing tire collision mesh was made out of a 20 sided cylinder but there wasn't lots of polys in it. So I upped that to 24 sided with one segment so there was 144 polys but that didn't work. So I looked at two built-in planes, the Sbach and NexStar and they were 220 and 240 polys so I'm cleaning out some triangles so I can up my all my tires collision mesh to 200+. I guess having several segments on the bottom of the mesh so it's more like a tire with tread is the right thing to do. I'll post the results here when I finish and test it out.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Robert,

Since this is a beta update, there aren't plans to create DVDs for this version. When the release version of 1.5 is ready, it will be available on disk.

If you're getting the out of memory error, then you should now be ready to try the steps listed to work around that problem (#2 here). Leave the box to delete your download cache unchecked, and you will not need to download anything you've already got.

I did the in-install as suggested, rebooted my computer, re-installed RF-X and now I am getting a Unigine fata error - Error initializing DirectX 11. Please make sure DirectX is up to date. RF8 is still working correctly.

Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 AM

Jeremy,

I modified the collision mesh for all the tires to look like this, but it does the same thing in RF-X. Sometimes it sticks really back other times it sticks a little. But when it sticks bad you can slowly increase the throttle quite a bit before it breaks looks. And sometimes it will start vibrating a little and kind of go in a circle for a bit. It's sort of like there's different wheels getting stuck. The c. mesh is 196 triangles and 82 polys.

So is this an okay c. mesh or do I need to do it different? Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-28C Trojan 14.jpg (109.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Willis View Post
I did the in-install as suggested, rebooted my computer, re-installed RF-X and now I am getting a Unigine fata error - Error initializing DirectX 11. Please make sure DirectX is up to date. RF8 is still working correctly.

Any ideas?
Are you getting this error immediately after re-installing from disk?
If so, it sounds like something went wrong with that installation.

If it worked after re-installing, but broke after the update, then I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Could you PM me with your system information in that case?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Jeremy,

I modified the collision mesh for all the tires to look like this, but it does the same thing in RF-X. Sometimes it sticks really back other times it sticks a little. But when it sticks bad you can slowly increase the throttle quite a bit before it breaks looks. And sometimes it will start vibrating a little and kind of go in a circle for a bit. It's sort of like there's different wheels getting stuck. The c. mesh is 196 triangles and 82 polys.

So is this an okay c. mesh or do I need to do it different? Thanks for your help.
I don't see anything immediately wrong with that mesh. When the airplane sticks, is it sitting on the tires properly, or are they sinking in and allowing it to sit on the gear struts?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I don't see anything immediately wrong with that mesh. When the airplane sticks, is it sitting on the tires properly, or are they sinking in and allowing it to sit on the gear struts?
The tires seem to be sitting on the runway okay, maybe a little bit into the runway but nothing like it would be if the collision mesh wasn't working and it was sitting on the gear struts.

I did a modification this morning after remembering your comment about my question, you said you've seen that when there's not enough POLYS in the collsion mesh so I thought I'd increase the ploys as much as I could without running out of triangles, and on my first try I had to go back and optimize some of the other collision mesh to get enough triangles to improve the cmesh for the tires, which is the picture in my last post. But after remembering your comment was 'not enough polys' I decided to add an angle cut to each of the polys in the face of the cmesh which doubles the polys but leaves the triangle count the same. I also made the front tire a bit wider too. Doing that seemed to improve my sticking problem a lot, now it sticks way less and you can unstick the plane with a quick blip of the throttle. I've uploaded a beta in another thread and asked asj5547 to test it for me too. If you're interested here's a link to where I uploaded this latest beta.

CONTROLS

Canopy Retract: Channel 7 Sw.
Gear DN: Channel 8 3 Pos. Sw. Towards You
Gear UP: Channel 8 3 Pos. Sw. In the Middle
Smoke: Channel 8 3 Pos. Sw. Away from You
Flaps: Channel 6 Knob
Brakes: Down Elevator

TAILHOOK CONTROLS

1. Lower the Flaps all the way down using the Channel 6 Knob.
2. Use the Low Rate Switch to Lower and Raise the Tailhook.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...0&postcount=29
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-28C Trojan 14.jpg (109.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg T-28C Trojan 15.jpg (95.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Jeremy, here is a screenshot of left mains wheel that is sticking on Technoid's T-28 Trojan.(right wheel also sticks intermittently)
I noticed as aircraft comes to a stop, using the brakes, the wheel grabs just before the plane stops, and the aircraft pivots very slightly in that direction.
Note*...... this screenshot is the prior version T-28, will test Technoid's modified version soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left main stuck.jpg (30.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by asj5547; 02-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 AM

Success !!

Quote:
Are you getting this error immediately after re-installing from disk?
If so, it sounds like something went wrong with that installation.

If it worked after re-installing, but broke after the update, then I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Could you PM me with your system information in that case?
I finally have RF-X installed and it now starts without generating any errors. I did a uninstall, rebooted computer, ran CCleaner to remove all in-needed files from the temp folder and all browsers, rebooted the computer again and then reinstalled the original RF-X software.

I then re-booted and turned off all 32 bit applications. I then performed the update and it found the files that were downloaded. The RF-X application installed and then it started up without generating any errors.

It is late and I will reboot the computer and try RF-X again tomorrow.

THANKS for your support !!!
Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM

Glad to hear it, Robert. Have fun!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Jeremy

I fixed the landing gear sticking on the T-28 by using the Springy Retracts instead of the Round Steel gear. I changed from the springy gear because of the complaints about the planes in the beta update bouncing too much on landing but didn't think to ever change them back to Springy Retracts and see what happened. But I was looking one more time before I gave up and noticed both of the built-in planes I looked at was using the Springy Retracts so I changed them and the sticking went away, so you guys might want to look at that.

One other thing that seems to be strange to me. Using the _T extension on my canopy glass makes them transparent but using the Alpha layer to adjust the opacity seems to be problematic, as in the glass stays pretty much totally clear until I get the Alpha layer value up to about $48 and then it changes very quickly to way darker than I want. I use _T because I like to fly inside the cockpit and the standard GLASS option causes too many reflections inside the cockpit while flying. So I started using ~ALPHA in RF-8 so I could fly without all the reflections. But trying the same thing in RF-X doesn't seem to work correctly, like there's a very narrow range for adjusting the opacity. Can you shed any light on that?
Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Technoid,

I don't have a good handle on why that might be happening with the transparency. I'm afraid I don't have the resources to test extensively at my end at the moment. I'll file a case to cover this so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

One idea: for an unimpeded view from inside the cockpit, you could consider adding your glass frames to the excluded list for your cockpit camera component. In that case, it won't show up at all, but only when you're using that camera.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Technoid,

I don't have a good handle on why that might be happening with the transparency. I'm afraid I don't have the resources to test extensively at my end at the moment. I'll file a case to cover this so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

One idea: for an unimpeded view from inside the cockpit, you could consider adding your glass frames to the excluded list for your cockpit camera component. In that case, it won't show up at all, but only when you're using that camera.
Jeremy.. Thanks for the suggestion I didn't know you could do that but it sure sounds like what I need I'll try that today and let you know how it works.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: