Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a

There's a lot of questions about why KnifeEdge released RF-8 because we already had RF-X. A good question and I'll share my answer. We have RF-8 because we asked for it by rejecting RF-X and wanting a follow on product to RF 7.5. And I'm one of the guys that said that, along with many others. So to me KnifeEdge heard our pleas and gave us what we asked for. I imagine that was really hard for them to do, move backwards and release a new product. BUT.. RF-8 addresses a lot of the problems we complained about and brings with it new features that many have asked for. So from my perspective KnifeEdge did the right thing, they addressed a huge problem people had with RF-X and brought us a follow-on product that has enough going for it to pay for the price of admission. So with that said I want to support KnifeEdge so I'm moving development of the SE5A to RF-8. What I get for that is the ability to use any version of 3ds Max I want and create much more detailed planes than was possible in RF 7.5. So I'm sorry guys but the SE5A will be released on the Real Flight 8 Swap Pages, which I'm sure KnifeEdge will create once RF-8 ships. Will that limit the availability of the SE5A, of course it will because RF-8 is new but hopefully many will see it as a great option and buy it. I plan to do a RF 6.5 release on the forum for my friends that aren't moving to RF-8, but not on the swap pages.. I'm trying to show users there's something to be had by upgrading to RF-8. Okay I know the question (do you think your plane is that great) GOSH NO it's average at best, but it will only be on the RF-8 Swap Page and an extra incentive to upgrade to RF-8. We have to start somewhere and I respect what KnifeEdge did and need to show it some way, and this is the only way I can.

I'm going to do something a bit different for me but I want to encourage all of my friends on the forum to upgrade to RF-8 to support KnifeEdge. This has to have been a hard year for them and if we're happy with RealFlight it's time to move up the RF-8.

OH.. Since this is a new build thread I need to show some progress, so here's where the SE5A is at the moment. I started adding the wires this morning so it's starting to look like a real Bi-Plane. I still have quite a few wires to add but it's a start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Aircraft Factory SE6a 12.jpg (250.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
well i will be updating to RF 8 as well when i can get it up here in the great white north haha
Old 10-06-2017, 07:56 PM

I agree with your decision. They did add VR, increase the triangle count, and also add support for generic USB controllers. These were many of the things I asked for too.

I'm looking forward to RF-8 coming and will be able to run it well on the same system that currently runs 7.5

I don't have any VR stuff right now but am now thinking about it. I want to wait until the release and people give feedback on what VR hardware works the best with it.

Keep up the great work. I hope RF-8 brings some of the other developers back to Realflight.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:24 PM

I finished adding the wires this morning so here's a render for you. I still need to add the mounting brackets for the muffler but after that it's time to start mapping. But that's a maybe because I have something else I might add but I'm not sure right now, you know me always adding something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Aircraft Factory SE6a 13.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 PM

I don't know what my next project will be but if it's a bi-plane what should I do?

I like lots of bi-planes but haven't decided what I want to do so I thought I could get some ideas from you guys. Just remember I like good flying planes because I fly them all the time, which is why this plane doesn't have dihedral that just makes a plane wallow around the sky. Scale is scale, fun is fun... I'll take fun.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I don't know what my next project will be but if it's a bi-plane what should I do?

I like lots of bi-planes but haven't decided what I want to do so I thought I could get some ideas from you guys. Just remember I like good flying planes because I fly them all the time, which is why this plane doesn't have dihedral that just makes a plane wallow around the sky. Scale is scale, fun is fun... I'll take fun.
Try looking at Tomahawk Quantum biplane there is a medium sized jet and 90mm edf versions. the edf version is made by taft.

RF-X is not RealFlight 10 it is RealFlight eXperimental
Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM

Here's a great page to browse through all them biplanes (go look and see what you find):

http://www.aviationtrivia.org/BIPLANES.php
Old 10-07-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Here's a great page to browse through all them biplanes (go look and see what you find):

http://www.aviationtrivia.org/BIPLANES.php
that list is very incomplete

Try these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...owers_aircraft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tente_aircraft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...of_World_War_I

RF-X is not RealFlight 10 it is RealFlight eXperimental

Last edited by legoman; 10-07-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added links
Old 10-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate all the info I'll take a look at them
Old 10-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Here's the latest beta it has lots of changes and is nearly ready for mapping. Of course it's RF 7.5 since RF-8 isn't available yet.

1. Cut holes in the front of the fuselage for the engine shaft and intake.
2. Added rear site bar for the Vickers gun.
3. Cut holes for the engine bays.
4. Added Gas Cap.
5. Added fuel level indicator. ( I think that's what it is )
6. Added wires.
7. Added guns.
8. Adjusted exhaust smoke exit.

The CONTROLS changed a bit.

Fly with CH 8 3 way switch in middle position.
Fire Both Guns: CH 8 3 way switch away from you.
Brakes: CH 8 3 was switch towards you.
Smoke: Channel 7

The pilot seat camera works in 3D fields but I haven't worked on the other cameras so they may not work properly.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a_EA.RFX (1.04 MB, 12 views)
Old 10-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks .. just grabbed it.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
just got home and had a look grabbed it as well
Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Thanks just grabbed it, wife said she will give me RF-8 for Christmas lucky me ha ha
Old 10-07-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6234 View Post
Thanks just grabbed it, wife said she will give me RF-8 for Christmas lucky me ha ha
Oh boy... good deal I'm happy for you!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 AM

So have you installed a newer 3DS Max for designing in RF8 yet or plan to ? I think the latest I have is 3DS Max 2016 w/SP3.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: