Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Some of us (me as an example) appreciate this kind of detail in an R/C simulator much more then the canopy opening and landing gear working to "scale" or a full cockpit, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I completely agree with the canopy thing. It's not actually an RC thing, but it's just a fun little thing to put in there. Where it's not needed or anything, it's just for fun and another way to test our limits with what we can do with RF.
I disagree with both of you. It's VERY common in the scale world to have working canopies. Some are "manual" open, some are air cylinder open, some are servo "mechanical" open, etc. Same goes for full cockpits....I'm personally prefer scale models (RL) so that's how I prefer to model them in the sim.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace
I disagree with both of you. It's VERY common in the scale world to have working canopies. Some are "manual" open, some are air cylinder open, some are servo "mechanical" open, etc. Same goes for full cockpits....I'm personally prefer scale models (RL) so that's how I prefer to model them in the sim.
Thanks pplace, I stand corrected. I've personally never seen one and never knew anybody ever put an opening canopy on a RC plane. That's why I said what I had said
Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 PM

I agree with pplace here. Also, with Cowboy. Let me explain. Each modeler models how they feel and inherently give a tend toward a style. As new techniques are learned the style change a little. I have a minimal approach in cockpit detail and CS detail because that is how I model. Just me.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsonman
I agree with pplace here. Also, with Cowboy. Let me explain. Each modeler models how they feel and inherently give a tend toward a style. As new techniques are learned the style change a little. I have a minimal approach in cockpit detail and CS detail because that is how I model. Just me.

That's right....I like the fact that all the modelers are really so diversified in interests. It wouldn't be too exciting if everyone did everything the same. It opens so many other doors for different types of models
Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace
I don't disagree at all, opening canopies, full cockpits and even hand crafted "scale" landing gear is common in the scale world. It's also quite common to seldom see these creations at your local flying field unless there's a scale event.

My point is that we see a lot of these scale creations here on the swap pages. It's refreshing to see someone create an everyday R/C airplane and to put the time and effort into making that creation just as interesting as any scale airplane. I for one appreciate junkboy's efforts and wanted him to know that.

The creations that we see on the swap pages don't have to be scale airplanes to be interesting. I like seeing sticks, profiles, foamies and the planes we all fly everyday that have been given the same attention as some of the scale planes... and hope we see more of them.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
The creations that we see on the swap pages don't have to be scale airplanes to be interesting. I like seeing sticks, profiles, foamies and the planes we all fly everyday that have been given the same attention as some of the scale planes... and hope we see more of them.
I totally agree.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the comments

Think guy for the comments.

It was fun trying to get every thing working. For the type if RC the model is trying to mimic it all worked out well. It was easy to get the stuff working right because the placement of the servos and horns in line with each other and I could scale the servos to get them to fit the wings, some thing that can not be done in the real RC.

The total's work out that the servos, push rods and linkages, horns and other RC detail took 1894 faces so 3788 polys in 3DS format. The model and engine the outer wings with the " DENT" effect and the second wings with the ribs came in just under the limit need for the collision mesh at 7850.

Total count for all was 11,690, plenty of room to play with the 20K limit, so still had more room for a better looking Model,... But keep in mind that this fuselage only had 24 faces. (48) polys. If you think that usually the Fuselage has the highest count of all the separate objects.

Still need to get the UV map finished kinda dragging my butt.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkboy999
Still need to get the UV map finished kinda dragging my butt.
Don't worry, you'll get it done. Take your time.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Thanks pplace, I stand corrected. I've personally never seen one and never knew anybody ever put an opening canopy on a RC plane. That's why I said what I had said
Sorry to go back "off topic" just thought cowboy might be interested in seeing these clips.

Fw-190 canopy video

F-15 canopy video
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 AM

nice canopy.

I have seen A-10 and F15/16 many time befor. But never seen that F109 or any that slide backwards. that is so kool.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM

swizzle pics

Got around to shooting the "turd". That yellow stick is NICE, puts mine to shame, but mine's not meant to be pretty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0001.JPG (440.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0002.JPG (482.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Great

Hey thanks for taking the old gal out of the hanger for me. for the life of me I could not remember what was your wing.

I was thinking about making one called the Turd, with bent landing gear, twisted tail boom and a broken wing. If people want a true REALISTIC looking and handling RC.

Ps. The Duct tape adds class
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM

looked that up this mirning

Hummmm A flying PIG reference ??????

Main Entry: Cir·ce
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek Kirke
Date: 14th century
A sorceress who changes Odysseus' men into swine but is forced by Odysseus to change them back

Websters link
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Circe
Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM

for sale

Making room for a new bird, and the 'ol turd has to go. I'll give you first dibbs if you want a backup plane. Has engine and servos, $50?

Interesting about the Circe origin.......oink.

Last edited by gutwrencher46; 10-22-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Good news Bad news

Good news
I finally got the Alpha thing down and remapped the Swizzle Stick to where it is looking nice and ready for the swaps,

Bad news
It is not a Swizzle Stick, I modeled a Balsa USA Stick 40

A friend of mine just loaned me a set of planes for the true swizzle stick. I can get away with making a few changes on this one and get it out to the swaps later. So for now I going release this one at the Stick 40 after I do a paint job for Brian and Ozzy to match there planes.

Thanks guys for posting picture of your Models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SWST20.JPG (149.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SWST21.JPG (30.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Junkboy999; 09-13-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: