Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 PM

That's the way Wings 3D works, anyway. In RF, the Y and Z are switched. I'm really not sure how Max handles axes. The worst that will happen once you import the plane into RF is that it may be upside down, sideways, or backward. You'll figure it out.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Welcome to forums.

Any friend of Flex's is a friend of ours. That is a nice looking Battle Axe. When you get it finish you'll have to fly against mine. (Work In Progress ) post 34 and 35 in this thread

I have worked with a lot of people trying to get there creation in to RF with all different programs. So far I have compiled a big list of program out that will not work. Where the problem comes in, is that program that you love to model in, have at work, or already own and want to use, cant export out a 3DS file that maintains the Hierarchy, Pivots, and texture structure what works properly in the Command line 3ds to Kex converter. The extra information gets stripped out during exporting. Some thing about NODE structure and blah blah blah..... Me being just a hobbyist I have no clue about that. I just love to play and try to work things out. I did DL you zip file and played with. Here is what I found

1. Fist off 21 197 polyies , Max Poly limit is 20 k ( way to much detail on the engine )

2. Model off axis, but your aware of this all ready. Flex posted a Pic of it loaded in 3d Max. ( below is a Pic of it loaded in Deep Exploration )

3 Model came in to Deep Exploration as one solid model. ( No grouping information came it with it so I guessing you exported it as one part or assembly. )

4. Pivots. Usually when I import in a model in to Deep Exp from other people, the Pivot point ( rotation point of a object) will be dead center of the mass or center the scene. I have even see pivots moved to the far boundary of the objects, ( like against a wall if the object was inclosed in a boundary box. Your model imported in with a Pivot point set on the engine propeller shaft. I'm up loading a picture to show you. If you tried to move it in your program to this location then you might be in luck for pivots points being transferred with the 3ds file properly

I would like to see you export the model again with all the major parts separated. L wing R wing L R aileron , Fuselage, model engine ( all small parts of the engine can be combined ) L and R Horz stab L & R elevator , V stab and Ruder.

If that program can place the parts in proper hierarchy and export them with pivots in place you all about 75 % there. Hope this info helps.

Terry.

Ps in Wings 3D there is a option we use to swap X and Y on exporting to a 3ds file, so we are not really modeling side ways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JAMES01.JPG (38.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg JAMES02.JPG (42.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg JAMES03.JPG (38.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg JAMES04.JPG (49.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Junkboy999; 10-21-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Have Put it into Blender,pointed it in the right direction & scaled it to 60" wingspan from 6".Culled 6594 Polys from original 21185(mostly doubles).Done some Re-Nameing & used Helpers to do Pivots on Ailerons.
Could not find CG published on Web to shift the origin to,just guessed.
Currently at 14591 polys (12218 being the motor&tank)it needed a ~CS_COLL mesh before Blender would spit out a Kex.Mapping still required.Good Luck.
*Delete .rfx & unzip
Attached Files
File Type: rfx BattlAxe.zip.rfx (1.58 MB, 2 views)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn
There have been people to use Blender. There's even some threads here about it. But I can't understand them. I'd love a flexible-style tutorial on doing pivots in Blender.

I can try to do a tutorial on creating a plane in Blender. I've used Blender (at home) and Max/AutoCAD/Visio (at work). A lot of things in Blender just make more sense.

Let me look at some Windows desktop recording software and see if I can do a screencast (or a few) on how to do a model.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM

If I recall, I understood the hierarchy in Blender. I like Wings for the model generation. If you could cover just the pivots moving and rotating using Blender, that's all I'd need. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn
If I recall, I understood the hierarchy in Blender. I like Wings for the model generation. If you could cover just the pivots moving and rotating using Blender, that's all I'd need. Thanks!

I need to do some work to figure out how the pivots work between Blender and RF.

In Blender, you want to select the vertices on the control surface where it should pivot. Then, send the 3d cursor to center on that selection. Tab into object mode and then set the object data to center on the 3d cursor.

These are done using Shift+S in edit mode and object mode.

Now, what I don't know is what axis RF will use for the pivot. If it uses "X" for all objects, you can use a combination of object mode and edit mode rotations. If you rotate in Object mode, the pivot (and the X/Y/Z data) rotate with the object. If you rotate in edit mode, the pivot remains fixed.

So, just rotate in Object mode until the pivot is lined up properly, then go to edit mode and rotate until the surface is back in the original position.

When you are done, "R X X" should rotate the object around the local "X" axis at the pivot point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: