Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Ha... That's exactly what I was planning to try once I get it in RF. A tiny hard flat wheel. It should work on smooth runways, don't know what it will do on grass.
I've tried that on planes that didnt originally have a tail wheel...the physics editor lets you install a tail gear, add a wheel, steering servo etc....you can see it pivot in the editor and everything, but if it wasnt "there" to begin with, nothing changes as far as ground handling...

Would be way-cool to have a tail wheel disguised as a skid as a "factory installed" option!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 AM

And on a (slightly) related note, my Racing Girl is an english lasse named Jenny Tinmouth, fastest woman to lap the Isle of Man, my favorite plane is the Curtiss Jenny, and my wifes name is Jennifer...

So whenever I mumble "...mmm jenny..." in my sleep, I'M TOTALLY COVERED!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks. What do you map with? Blender?
Wings 3d is my main. I use 3ds max for pivots, hierarchy, and exporting
Old 08-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
And on a (slightly) related note, my Racing Girl is an english lasse named Jenny Tinmouth, fastest woman to lap the Isle of Man, my favorite plane is the Curtiss Jenny, and my wifes name is Jennifer...

So whenever I mumble "...mmm jenny..." in my sleep, I'M TOTALLY COVERED!
I almost spit on my monitor!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Wings 3d is my main. I use 3ds max for pivots, hierarchy, and exporting
Okay cool, thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:35 PM

I said I was going to use the Hispano Suiza engine but it was introduced in the JN-4H model which has the rounded radiator for more cooling. So I decided to see if I could make something reasonable for the OX-5 engine. I found a quarter scale model that has a nice shot of the OX-5 engine so I tried to model something I could use. That model seemed to use only the head and mounted it in a cutout on the plane so I built something up from that. So let me know what you think of the engine I made. I'll put a picture of the quarter scale model and a render of what I have. So to use it I'd cutout an area in the plane and put it in just like the quarter scale picture shows. You can see the flat mounting board behind the engine. So let me know if this is reasonable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OX-5.jpg (402.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 41.jpg (81.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-04-2017, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
I said I was going to use the Hispano Suiza engine but it was introduced in the JN-4H model which has the rounded radiator for more cooling. So I decided to see if I could make something reasonable for the OX-5 engine. I found a quarter scale model that has a nice shot of the OX-5 engine so I tried to model something I could use. That model seemed to use only the head and mounted it in a cutout on the plane so I built something up from that. So let me know what you think of the engine I made. I'll put a picture of the quarter scale model and a render of what I have. So to use it I'd cutout an area in the plane and put it in just like the quarter scale picture shows. You can see the flat mounting board behind the engine. So let me know if this is reasonable.
looking good i'm thinking it needs the valve adjusters with the lock nut it looks like
Old 08-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
looking good i'm thinking it needs the valve adjusters with the lock nut it looks like
Okay give this a look for size and placement. Let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtiss JN-4D Jenny 42.jpg (87.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Dude... you crack me up. Nice job. Maybe a few more threads showing on the adjustment? JUST KIDDING.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Dude... you crack me up. Nice job. Maybe a few more threads showing on the adjustment? JUST KIDDING.
Well I do have to go back and delete every hidden polygon I can find, putting lots of little details in and giving the curves plenty of segments comes at a big cost so I need to reduce it as much as possible. I still have the struts to chamfer and the cutout for the engine on both sides. Ha.. I wish they had given us 40k instead of 27 that would work out really nice.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=technoid;279728]Okay give this a look for size and placement. Let me know.[/QUOTE

you know me and engines excellent technoid
Old 08-04-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter
you know me and engines excellent technoid
Yeah me too I like seeing the little details. I was trying to save some triangles though right now the Half Engine is 5,872 triangles. I need to go back and optimize that and get it down. I always use lots of segments to round off everything nice and it really adds up in things like an engine that has all those rounded parts everywhere.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah me too I like seeing the little details. I was trying to save some triangles though right now the Half Engine is 5,872 triangles. I need to go back and optimize that and get it down. I always use lots of segments to round off everything nice and it really adds up in things like an engine that has all those rounded parts everywhere.
yes would be nice if you had double the count for RF 7.5 the detail wouldn't be a problem
Old 08-04-2017, 11:32 PM

Technoid, I was told by Andy (AKA, Abaser), when I was building my PZL-P1, That 16 sides for any round object is sufficient for the purposes of RF (visually,it will look round in RF) unless perhaps if you go in for EXTREME close ups via the various camera positions and their particular abilities you can zoom in on every one of them, however, most people, just enjoy flying the models, and if they look good from a short distance, that`s fine, anyway, I`m probably telling you info you already know. We all appreciate the detail, but if you must sacrifice some tri`s, in one area to save for another area don`t sweat it, we`re all aware of the limitations of RF
Old 08-05-2017, 12:47 AM

If you can import the graphics of your magnificent OX-5 to the color scheme, that would be awesome, cuz dude, I'm afraid of that thing!

Way too complicated to paint! LOL!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: