Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:12 PM

RealFlight Controller and Windows 10 Issues

1. If the RealFlight InterLink Elite Controller is plugged in, it will inhibit the function of the Microsoft Windows 10 Pro screen saver and power saving options. I have tried this on two computer with the same results.

2. While working on this issue I also observed that the menus in CyberLink PhotoDirector Versions 6 and 7 would NOT work correctly when the RealFlight InterLink Elite Controller is plugged in. Others on the CyberLink PhotoDirector forum have also reported the same issues with other game controllers.

Has RealFlight uncovered any issue with the way the InterLink Elite Controller interfaces with Microsoft Windows 10 ?

Currently I am using a Dell XPS9000 which is connected to a Belkin USB 2.0 Hub. The RealFlight Interlink controller is connected to the Belkin USB 2.0 Hub.

The screen saver functionality worked correctly under Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 with the RealFlight Interlink controller connected.

HID Compliant Game Controller Driver Details
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Last edited by Robert Willis; 09-26-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 PM

The last time we have heard anything from Knife Edge was back in April. You aren't the only one who has found this issue with the interlink controller. It probably does it on every install it's connected to in Windows 10 . I can confirm that it also worked properly in Windows 8.1. Don't expect an update for 7.5 as it's almost time for 8.0 to be released.

Since the interlink controller uses a Microsoft driver, and other game controllers are also doing the same thing, it is probably a Windows issue.

Last edited by csgill75; 09-26-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:24 PM

That is the conclusion that I am coming to. I am trying to confirm exactly what driver is used if it is a fresh install of Windows 10.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 PM

From what I see it uses an Old Microsoft Driver. I don't have an earlier version of Windows installed on any of my Computers anymore so I cant see if its the same version.

I am also thinking that this may be a issue with DirectX being updated in Windows 10 and some of the older Windows installers no longer function properly in 10 like they did in earlier versions. Case in point, the DirectX 9c that installs with Realflight, doesn't work in Windows 10 and an updated version of DirectX 9c must be sourced online. It could be tied in with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interlink driver.JPG (77.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-27-2015, 12:13 AM

Yup I believe you are correct.

This is not related to the DX9 installation. The same Windows drivers appear without DX9.0c redistributable being installed on a clean installation. Though Microsoft may have included DX9 libraries for compatibility.

It is likely that the HID input device code has just not been updated with the last few major releases.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:33 PM

I have a number of computers that will not boot up correctly
with the Elite-3 plugged in.
Even after exhausting all bootup options in the bios.
Tried a lot of things.
Mainly disabling boot from anything except the hard disk.

The most common problem is that windows 8 or 10 will start booting then go into an infinite reboot loop.
You start to see the desktop but before the logon screen it reboots.

Unplugging the E3 has been my only solution.

I *could* dig into this problem a lot deeper but simply have not yet.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 PM

It does it on Macs too (that is, it inhibits the native screen saver).
Old 10-17-2015, 01:52 AM

Just out of curiosity, try setting the Channel 5 switch to the down position, the Channel 7 switch to the position towards you, and the Channel 8 switch to the center position. Also, make sure the right stick is perfectly centered. I noticed that when I run Google Earth and the Interlink Elite is not configured as mentioned, Google Earth will move the view around (not idle). So, apparently the controller is sending some sort of keystrokes (or some type of commands) when those switches or stick are not as mentioned. Maybe that is what is keeping the screen saver from activating. When my screen saver is running, changing any of those settings will not turn off the screen saver like moving the mouse does. I'm using Windows Vista 64-bit, but this may be different with a newer OS.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8LBV View Post
I have a number of computers that will not boot up correctly
with the Elite-3 plugged in.
Even after exhausting all bootup options in the bios.
Tried a lot of things.
Mainly disabling boot from anything except the hard disk.

The most common problem is that windows 8 or 10 will start booting then go into an infinite reboot loop.
You start to see the desktop but before the logon screen it reboots.

Unplugging the E3 has been my only solution.

I *could* dig into this problem a lot deeper but simply have not yet.
It's in another thread here but this is a problem with the uefi bios on the motherboard. A user on this forum went back and forth with ASUS and Knife Edge about this issue including sending ASUS an interlink controller, and a Beta Bios was released for the board in question that solved the problem but wasn't released to the public. Why ASUS didn't release the fix wasn't made clear but there is somebody out there who has a ASUS board with UEFI bios who doesn't have a problem with the interlink controller being connected to the computer during boot...

Edit : found the thread

Last edited by csgill75; 10-17-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Yeah, lets just release a bios update for a problem experienced by a couple dozen people. 99% of the people in this country could not do a bios update if their life depended on it.

There are some things that work arounds are just fine... IMO, this is one of them.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:29 AM

Interesting and it appears to affect all the ASUS boards I have.
Not fond of having to unplug it everytime you have to reboot.
Ya do what ya gotta do.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Just wanted to close this out with the fix the OP originally posted. Microsoft has resolved these problems with Windows 10 version 1511. Screensavers and power settings work as normal.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31838

Last edited by csgill75; 01-19-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:43 PM

I am currently running Windows 8.1 and keep getting the pop-ups to upgrade to Windows 10. I've been reading the forums to try to figure out if the upgrade will be a problem with Real Flight 7.5. If I translated correctly with my gray matter, what I should do is uninstall Real Flight, do the upgrade then reinstall and life should be good. If this is incorrect, would someone please give me the correct procedure or am I better off sticking with the Windows 8.1?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Didn't do any of that. Just did the upgrade and everything worked, except the issue with the controller being plugged in and W10 not seeing the system as idle. Latest W10 update fixed that.

You could certainly uninstall/reinstall though.

--"There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't."
Old 01-28-2016, 02:55 PM

Thank you. There is nothing more aggravating than screwing up something that was working fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: