Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:05 PM

Plane Explodes

I've read a lot before I registered but could find no reference to a problem like this.

I've had 7.5 for a week and have enjoyed every minute. I'm an old R/C flyer just getting back in the hobby and this has been a great way to get a feel for the sticks again.
However this morning a problem cropped up that I have not been able to find a fix for.

I was flying the Sig Senorita, was doing touch and go practice when just after take off, about 50 feet in the air, the plane exploded. Pieces fell, one wing spiraled down and the engine separated from the plane, still running. I was mystified because I knew I had not done anything wrong. I reset the flight, took off and he exact same thing happened at about the same place.

I shut down Real Flight and opened it again, was in the middle of a nice take off and 'Bam! the plane came apart, again. And it's violent when it happens.

I've looked in the 'Failure' menu and there is nothing turned on. I would guess this would be the simulator's idea of a structural failure but that option is not selected.

Either there is a glitch somewhere in the program, or...there's a SAM sight just off the end of the runway.

Anyone have any idea what's happening and how to fix it?

Tom
Old 03-16-2016, 05:53 PM

This is the RealFlight 7 designer forum. Not the RealFlight 7 forum. Please post in the correct forum for questions like this but it sounds like a flight training scenario is running as that is what happens when you leave the target area.

Last edited by csgill75; 03-16-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
This is the RealFlight 7 designer forum. Not the RealFlight 7 forum. Please post in the correct forum for questions like this but it sounds like a flight training scenario is running as that is what happens when you leave the target area.
Very sorry for posting in the WRONG area. My apologies. New members aren't always knowledgeable as to the proper terminology of a forum or forum headings.

Nevertheless maybe you, or another member, could offer a little more detailed help to a new member here.
Where specifically would you suggest I look in the menus for a training scenario that simply changed without any input from me. As I stated the sim has been working perfect for a week until today.

Tom
Old 03-16-2016, 09:43 PM

Does it happen at all airports? What flying field are you using? Also try other aircraft and see if it happens with the other aircraft. I was leaning towards the training sessions in the sim as some people say can get hung up and keep running and an exploding aircraft does happen in that situation. If all else fails resetting the defaults using the launcher fixes most problems.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Thank you for the advice. It started at the default airfield, Carl Henson field and only with the Sig Senorita. It hasn't happened with any other plane. It did do it when I went into a primary flight training scenario and as before the plane came apart just after rotation.

I did some experimentation and found that if I reduced the power settings from 100% down to 75% on the Senorita the problem went away. If I go back to 100% on power, the plane explodes.

What is confusing is that for a week I didn't have this issue and it suddenly occurred today and I've made no changes in settings except the aforementioned power reductions.

If a moderator wishes he/she can feel free to move this thread to an appropriate area. I won't be offended

Tom
Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 PM

If it happens at full power on the senorita, did you make any changes to the physics? Adding more power which is easy to do in the quickedit menu, may cause this. It is fixable in the editor as you can strengthen the individual parts so they don't fly off. That or set the power back to 100%(it can be set up to 400%) in the quick edit menu. I fly the Senorita pretty often as it's one of my favorites, I haven't ever seen it fly apart though.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:07 PM

No changes to the aircraft. As I stated above I did reduce the power setting to slow the plane a little. That particular plane is a trainer, big slow and high winged and wasn't designed to fly as fast as the sim made it. The original power setting (default?) was 130%. I reduced that to 100% and then down to 75% and had been flying it that way for nearly a week before this 'explosion' thing cropped up.

None of the other aircraft from the menu that I regularly fly seem to be afflicted with this malady. It is only the Sig Senorita and only happens at full or near full power.

Tom
Old 03-17-2016, 06:19 PM

I'll check my model but I don't think that it's default power settings is 130%. Usually stock models are setup for 100%. Even so that much more powerful shouldn't fly the wings off. I've flown it hard and never had it break stock. Are you by any chance using an AV or custom setup? Those are found on the Swap Pages. Perhaps a different motor or battery? I'll check min out in a couple hours.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:33 PM

Are you using windows 10? What Antivirus are you using and have you run it recently? Because I know a few people who have had windows 10 and some anti-virus "eat" realflight's files including key libraries.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 PM

Yes, it is the infamous Windows 10. Microsoft's way of messing with everyone who uses it.
Currently using Webroot Internet Security but have tried turning it off with no change.

A problem with Windows 10 wouldn't surprise me. It has proven to be incompatible with everything else I've tried to load on this computer. If you didn't buy it from Microsoft there's a good chance you'll have problems with it. Odd however that it is just this one isolated problem. The rest of the simulation (program) appears to work perfectly. Too bad RF 7.5 won't run on my 12 year old Dell running XP.

Tom
Old 03-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Try this

I flew the Senorita in the sim, and I checked the editor settings. Stock should be 100% power. At max power and in a dive, it won't break but does go about 70mph in a dive. I exported a AV of the 100% stock model and I want you to import and try the AV. It should behave exactly like mine which is what yours should feel like.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Sig Seniorita Exported_AV.RFX (47.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the effort but the file won't open. I get an error message that says "there is no program to open this file" then goes on to say, "Install the correct program and try again"

I'm something of a computer dummy and have no idea what "program" to install.

Thank you again for the help. If I ever find a solution I'll drop in and post it here for the benefit of another user who might encounter the situation. I appreciate the help.

Tom
Old 03-18-2016, 01:01 PM

You will need to import the file in RealFlight. Under the simulation menu select import and then select the file. It will then appear in your aircraft list.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/impo...importhelp.php
Old 04-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Another member suggested I go into the setup and reset the defaults. That post was deleted or moved as was my reply to him. Nevertheless the exploding plane problem was fixed with the reset.

However I had something happen last night I have no explanation for. I have no 'failures' selected but I was putting the Pitt's S2 through some intense aerobatics and the left lower wing sheared off. I was able to get the little bipe back on the ground but with only one and a half wings.

Is structural failures like that part of the programming in spite of not selecting any 'failures'?

Tom
Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 PM

The key word is intense. Even simulator planes have structural limits (thought you can edit that.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: