Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Seater View Post
Another member suggested I go into the setup and reset the defaults. That post was deleted or moved as was my reply to him. Nevertheless the exploding plane problem was fixed with the reset.

However I had something happen last night I have no explanation for. I have no 'failures' selected but I was putting the Pitt's S2 through some intense aerobatics and the left lower wing sheared off. I was able to get the little bipe back on the ground but with only one and a half wings.

Is structural failures like that part of the programming in spite of not selecting any 'failures'?

Tom
Yes. You can induce structural failure in any aircraft with hard maneuvering just like the real world aircraft. You can use the editor to strengthen parts of an aircraft that falls off so it doesn't happen again . Go into the editor and select the wing. Look for the strength multiplier percentage and increase it. It is on a scale of 1-1500 with 1500 being unbreakable. I would go no higher than 400 since I would want it to still break when crashing into the ground.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Thanks again for the reply. I guess I'd rather keep things more real world and adjust my flying to coincide with the abilities of the aircraft. I've never experienced structural failures with any real R/C plane unless you want to include a mid-air collision I had with an Andrews Aeromaster during a club fun fly/pylon race. And that was a spectacular one

Tom
Old 05-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Seater View Post
I've never experienced structural failures with any real R/C plane
Tom
Wish I could say the same.

I had the Elevator rip out in a World Models 50cc Ultimate BiPlane.

It was very interesting getting the plane back on the ground in once piece. (Throttle controls Yaw, try it in the Sim..) After a repair the plane still flies well.

I had half an Elevator rip out in a Black Horse 50cc Red Lion Racer. Got that plane down in one piece (Realflight failure practice pays off!) and fixed it too.

Had the wings rip out on a .60 size Great Planes Big Stik. The wings broke out at the forward joiner/slot... a known issue with this plane. It was a spectacular failure as the fuselage flew off ballisticly into the air, while the wings just fluttered down gracefully.

I've had two GP Electrics (forgot the name of the model but it is available in Realflight...) have their wings "fold" in flight. Another known issue with this plane and why it's been pulled.

Needless to say I'm prone to reinforcing where ever possible... Carbon Fiber is my friend.

Last edited by opjose; 05-02-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:33 PM

I've replaced the wooden spar in my Modeltech Magic with a Carbon fiber tube a few years ago. After I broke the first set of wings I decided to strengthen the current set with the carbon fiber tube. It's rock solid now, weight is negligible and can't tell it's there.

Last edited by csgill75; 05-02-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 AM

I've always liked to have more power if needed. For example if the model calls for a .25 I put in a .40 or .46. If it's a .40 model I put in a .90 FS or at least a .61 depending on the type of plane. My favorites have always been quarter scales though.

I am in the market this week for my first heli now I feel comfortable on the sim and some 3D. Currently I am leaning towards the Align T-Rex 800E DFC. Any suggestions ? Sorry if I didn't open a new thread for this .. feel free to move/delete.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 05-03-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 AM

I don't know if I would start with a 800 size as a first Heli. Larger size equals more money when it crashes. I started flying with realflight on helicopters years ago on G4. I went with the 450 size as a first time Heli. Parts are a lot cheaper when that first crash happens. Everyone usually crashes their first Heli too. Larger models are easier to fly though.

I also learned on a flybar Heli first and then after I transitioned to the Flybarless models. There's something about flying flybar that has a different feel, not as much of a "locked in" feel, more fluid. Skills that makes flying Flybarless even easier. There's some skills that I believe should be learned on flybar helicopters that people should know. Having to genuinely think ahead of the model from taking off to landings you always have to be a step or two ahead in your mind.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM

Yep a number of the planes in Realflight start falling apart in intense maneuvers.
This is normal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: