Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Angry Realflight 7 uninstaller can delete all your data!

Hi!

Really big problem with RF7 uninstaller: it can delete not only RF7 data, but everything you have on the same partition
Steps to reproduce (be careful as it can delete your files!!!!):

1. Start RF7 installer, click Browse for destination, choose for example D:\ (installer wont make a folder Realflight7 by default)
2. Installer will put files in the root of disk D
3. Realise that you've made a mistake and move RF files to D:\Realflight7
4. Run uninstaller, check all boxes
5. Uninstaller will start deleting in background !all files! on disk D

Crazy error made by programmers. I have terabytes of data where RF7 was installed and uninstaller silently started to delete it. Hopefully i've noticed my HDD was making too much "noise" and I've terminated uninstaller process.
Imagine you have 10x6TB HDD in Raid full of data and unistaller starts to delete it silently
This kind of error is not acceptable at all!

Last edited by JohnnyFly; 02-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 PM

I have added this the FAQs, I have not confirmed this and don't have time at the moment.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM

I wonder why after all these years this is the first time this problem has been reported on the forum? I've uninstalled and installed several times over the years when moving software from one drive to another.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
I wonder why after all these years this is the first time this problem has been reported on the forum? I've uninstalled and installed several times over the years when moving software from one drive to another.
This terrible bug is in uninstaller, as it's NOT checking which files it needs to delete - just does "del *.*". Uninstaller should use a list of files which belong to a certain application instead - like most of installers do.
I've also done installing/uninstalling many times. The difference is that the last time i hasn't checked that the installer resets folder name (really rare behaviour these days) when you change the installation path via Browse and installs RF not in a folder Realflight7, but just puts files and directories at selected destination. The main bug is in unistaller.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: