Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 PM

RF 7.5 upgrade disc not recognized on desk top?

I just bought the new RF 7.5 upgrade disc to upgrade my RF 6.
It works just fine on my laptop but when I put the disc in my desktop computer its acting like and telling me there is no disc in the CD ROM drive.
I checked the drive with another disc and it seems to be operating ok but for some reason I can't figure out how to get it to see the RF 7.5 disc to install it.

I've spend hours searching for the answer and used a few of the Microsoft diagnostic programs suggested but still nothing.

I've got a Windows 10 Home system with AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD graphics 3.50 GHz
8 G RAM
64 bit operating system

Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
I'm a PC Tech, and off the top of my head, I can only think of a few possibilities.
1) Defective drive. The disk is a DVD, not a CD. If the drive can read CD's but not DVD's, it's probably bad or dirty. Have you tried a different DVD in the drive? I find it hard to imagine that any current machine would have a CD drive instead of a DVD, but I suppose it IS possible.
2) The disk was damaged after installing on the laptop before attempting to install in the desktop. FYI, the data on the disk is stored on the TOP of the disk under the paint, not on the shiny bottom. If the top has been scratched, it's toast.
3) If the disk is still readable in the laptop, access the laptop's drive from the desktop using Windows network functions. Or copy the data from the disk to a USB thumb drive and install from the USB copy.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 01-31-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM

If you copy the DVD to a Flash Drive make sure and name the USB Flash Drive the same as the DVD name I think the install looks for that name.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 AM

OK thanks guy's. I copied it to my external hard drive then transferred it to my desktop but for some reason I can't get it to run that way either.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
OK thanks guy's. I copied it to my external hard drive then transferred it to my desktop but for some reason I can't get it to run that way either.
It won't work that way. Copy the entire DVD to a USB thumb drive. Then rename the thumb drive the exact same name as the DVD. Then run setup from the thumb drive.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Have you contacted Technical support? Check the gray bar near the top of the forum.
Contacting, via Telephone is the best/fastest way to get, one on one assistance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: