Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks, that was quick, and helpfull!

I'll modify it and post it on the forum later!

lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawg
Hope the Zipping Worked.See Posts #48 & #49 that's where Problem Was.Twisted Pivot on your Rudder.Look at Shading Button(F5) in .blend file and notice the special Realflight Name given to the Material(~SBS).At the bottom of this Page http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/plane_tutorial.php there are some more.Good Luck!...
Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc1012
Hi I'm new to this forum and am just starting to work on building objects to add to v 4.5. So first off thanks for building this exporter. It seems so much easier than the gmax path (although I'm yet to have success)!

I've had a little bit of trouble getting the export module to work on my system:
Blender: 2.49b
Python: 2.6.2
Windows Vista SP-2

Basically if I use the script from posting #1 (v99a) the export option does not appear in blender (on the above configuration).
However if I use the script from posting #72 the export option does appear in blender.
My suspicion is that there are some spurious characters in the first 3 bytes of the file that cause python/blender to choke on the script (v99a).
Hopefully I've uploaded this version which removes the initial characters and updated the version number to 99b (and a number of lines have automatically had trailing spaces removed - which I hope aren't significant in python)

Oh and for those of you trying to find the blender scripts directory on Vista try:
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts
Even with this latest change, for me, the script still didn't appear in the export menu. I had to save it as ANSI instead of UNICODE. There were somehow 3 unicode characters still at the top of the file and Blender doesn't seem to like that.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 AM

I'm missing something. I can export my models, convert them, import them into realflight and most things are going well for me as I learn this process.

I found the posts in this thread on auto-creating the kex file. That is nice but up until this point I've been editing the .sup file to rename my collision meshes. It seems when I auto generate the kex file with the export script that it doesn't do that. I then, fix the .sup file again and generate the kex again. Am I missing something? It seems there would be a way to not have to edit the .sup file if the point is to generate a kex file with the export script.

Great work all!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Hi all,

I'm using Blender 2.49b (the 64-bit version) along with Python 2.6.6 (64-bit version) on Windows 7.

I had to rename the script to "3ds2kex_export.py" to get it to show up. No biggie there.

I have a fairly simple DLG, the MiMi. It's rudder/elevator only. The model has been created an now it's just down to details.

Do you need to have all the object centers (besides movable surfaces) at the CG or some other common point?

Which axis of rotation should the control surfaces have? Should elevators pivot around X while rudders pivot around Z? What about ailerons on a dihedral wing?

Speaking of ailerons, several DLG designs use a split aileron (kinda like a Corsair flap) and usually use tape to connect the aileron parts together for pivoting. If I have 2 or 3 ailerons per wing, what is the best way to actuate these as a single surface?

Now I just need to figure out how to wrap an image around my glider.

Thanks for the help...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Orientation of pivots:

As it comes to setting up pivot points in blender you can use empties or dummy objects and assign the local orientation of the empty/dummy object as pivot to the parent object in hierarchy. For the orientation we stick to the KE Documentation, which you can find for aircrafts here. So rotation happens around the x-axis of the pivot by default. When the control surfaces rotate in the wrong direction simply change the rotational axis of the pivot (dummy object or empty).

Central Orientation of objects:

Each pivot point of any object which is not moving should be centered within the object itself. After the modelling phase of the aircraft is over I tend to use the command "Apply Scale and Rotation to ObData" (Shortcut would be STRG+A) reseting the pivots of all objects selected to their three dimensional centers and aligning their orientation to the global axis. Remember not to execute this command when hierarchy between objects is applied. It can lead to strange reorientation of objects.

3D-object setup:

In general the three dimensional model of the aircraft is completely seperated from the physical model/behavior in Realflight. But there are special cases, especially in break up or crash situations where the 3D-object hierarchy has to be a specific form in order to prevent errors. I always say the 3D-object hierarchy has to mimic the physical setup in the aircraft editor. Every control surface or aircraft part in the aircraft editor is forced to have his own unique 3D-object (or no 3D-object at all) to be simulated in the proper way.

Example:

So if you have a left wing consisting of three wing parts ~CS_LMW1, ~CS_LMW2 and ~CS_LMW3 and an aileron which is consisting only of one object you have to split up the aileron into three object (one aileron per wing part) ~CS_LMA1, ~CS_LMA2, ~CS_LMA3 too. Linking every wing part in the aircraft editor to only one aileron object (or vice versa) leads to an error of Realflight, often resulting in the break away of one of the wing parts while the physical simulation of the attached aileron continues. Because every wing part has the same aileron object as control surface, Realflight cannot decide if the aileron is still on the wing or not. This can lead to the weirdest visual effects like planes with no wings attached flying like nothing has happend

I hope you now know a little bit more what you have to look for to get you model to fly right in Realflight...

Max

- Einstein -
Old 11-04-2010, 03:41 PM

So, can I have one physical wing and two ailerons mapped to it? Or do I need to have two wing parts for two ailerons? (per side)

How about an all-flying stab? Any general pointers for that?

In the example, they have two stabs and two elevators. Can I have one stab and one elevator? I try to follow the naming convention. but what would you name a single elevator/stab? Or an all-flying stab?

Thanks...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

You can name it anything you want. But two wings/stabs is recommended.

When free things go wrong-
'Let's just pretend open source is crap'-Not_Xptical
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM

RealFlight does not handle a one piece wings. RF likes to see both left and right wings. We name them Left Main Wing and Right main wing ( ~CS_LMW and ~CS_RMW )

Each wing, L or R, can have as many control surfaces ailerons, spoilers, breaks, and flaps as want. Each of these control surfaces will be the Child of the Wing. The Wing being it's parent in the Hierarchy.

Take some time to select a nice trainer plane with a simple wing play with it in the Physics editor to see if you can do what you want to do. Although you can not see changes to the model, the physics effect will be there. Then you know what you need to model.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkboy999
RealFlight does not handle a one piece wings. RF likes to see both left and right wings. We name them Left Main Wing and Right main wing ( ~CS_LMW and ~CS_RMW )

Each wing, L or R, can have as many control surfaces ailerons, spoilers, breaks, and flaps as want. Each of these control surfaces will be the Child of the Wing. The Wing being it's parent in the Hierarchy.

Take some time to select a nice trainer plane with a simple wing play with it in the Physics editor to see if you can do what you want to do. Although you can not see changes to the model, the physics effect will be there. Then you know what you need to model.

I'm not so much interested in a one-piece wing as I am interested in a one-piece stab. Most (all?) of the DLGs use a simple stab. Some, like the Blaster2, use an all-flying stab.

What would be the naming convention for those parts?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM

You can model it to look like one, but cut in half so you have two sides of a stab. Name each side the correct name (~CS_LMHS, ~CS_RMHS) and in RealFlight's aircraft editor, you can set them to break apart together. Same goes for the elevator.

When free things go wrong-
'Let's just pretend open source is crap'-Not_Xptical

Last edited by Cowpig; 11-05-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Yes you can . Take a look at the G3 plane called the Cemech Reflex reflex-3._EA

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=7289

It is set up with a one peice Horz and Vert Stab
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM

If anyone has checked lately, Blender 2.55 is set to be released soon. I have not checked to see if the original script will continue to work.

Does anyone know if the original poster is still around and still updating the script?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Not in quite awhile.............

rayvel
Last Activity: 02-03-2009 01:05 PM

Last edited by Maj. Numbskully; 11-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM

I've tried maybe 10 different things and I can't get the script to show up in the 2.55 beta.

I think I'll check tonight on the Blender IRC channel and see if I can get some help on it...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 PM

The Blender 3ds2kex-script will not work with Blender 2.5. Blender 2.5 has a complete new source code based on a new phyton generation. The 3ds2kex-script was created for Blender 2.47/2.49/2.49b. Rayvel might be willing to write a new compatible 3ds3kex-script for Blender 2.5. But as long as there is not a stable and fully functional Blender 2.5 released creating a new 3ds2kex script is simply a waste of time (at least after my opinion). At the moment the Blender source code is changing every day.

BTW: Also documentation of the full source code of Blender 2.5 will probably be available soon after the release which would be a great help for rayvel...

Max

- Einstein -

Last edited by maxkop; 11-18-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: