Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Collision bugs - are they worked on?

Since none of the following bugs is part of the "known issues" list by KE, let's just enumerate them and hope KE notices:

1) Was discussed here many times, but not yet acknowledged by KE: if a plane (e.g. one of the flatouts) lands on its back, it will slide around on its back, with the propeller reaching into the ground. This will however not stop the propeller - in some cases, the plane will be ripped apart after a while without obvious reason (see #2).

2) Under some circumstances, a very subtle collision will result in collision forces some orders of magnitude too high. E.g. a plane will be ripped apart or catapulted to the horizon with full speed after slightly touching the ground, ceiling or an object (easy to reproduce e.g. in combination with #2).

3) Collision with some collision objects will not stop a plane's propeller. E.g. in the custom photofield "Sporthalle Schneverdingen", sod farm buildings are used as collision objects for the walls. If you fly upright into the wall, the propeller won't stop and the plane won't be reflected - instead it stops midair and keeps "flying against the wall". This does not happen though with the official indoor photofields which have their own collision meshes.

4) Some objects can be passed in one direction, but not in the other. E.g. if you scale the "Car Port Double" to e.g. 400%, a plane can fly though the glass windows from bottom to top, but vice versa the collision works ok (so it's obviously not the depth).

Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 11-26-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Unhappy ME, too ... but with a twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef
Since none of the following bugs is part of the "known issues" list by KE, let's just enumerate them and hope KE notices:

1) Was discussed here many times, but not yet acknowledged by KE: if a plane (e.g. one of the flatouts) lands on its back, it will slide around on its back, with the propeller reaching into the ground. This will however not stop the propeller - in some cases, the plane will be ripped apart after a while without obvious reason (see #2).

2) Under some circumstances, a very subtle collision will result in collision forces some orders of magnitude too high. E.g. a plane will be ripped apart or catapulted to the horizon with full speed after slightly touching the ground, ceiling or an object (easy to reproduce e.g. in combination with #2).

3) Collision with some collision objects will not stop a plane's propeller. E.g. in the custom photofield "Sporthalle Schneverdingen", sod farm buildings are used as collision objects for the walls. If you fly upright into the wall, the propeller won't stop and the plane won't be reflected - instead it stops midair and keeps "flying against the wall". This does not happen though with the official indoor photofields which have their own collision meshes.

4) Some objects can be passed in one direction, but not in the other. E.g. if you scale the "Car Port Double" to e.g. 400%, a plane can fly though the glass windows from bottom to top, but vice versa the collision works ok (so it's obviously not the depth).
I've OFTEN experienced the first three of the above phenomena in 3.0 as well as in 3.5. While a little annoying (but only a little in the big perspective) I don't think the first three are unique to our latest favorite dart-board (i.e. 3.5).

Haven't noticed #4 in either 3.0 or 3.5, myself.

However, I must add that none of these make me want to abandon RealFlight for a different sim. When I collide or flip over, I'm pretty quick with my red-button finger, and don't really dwell on observing the dying or dead bird's behavior. It's taxiing and airborne flight-behavior that I'm after in my sims.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk
I've OFTEN experienced the first three of the above phenomena in 3.0 as well as in 3.5. While a little annoying (but only a little in the big perspective) I don't think the first three are unique to our latest favorite dart-board (i.e. 3.5).
#1-#3 never ever happened to me in G3 and are extremely easy to reproduce in G3.5. Not sure about #4 since at least for the carport case, I didn't try with G3.

Quote:
Haven't noticed #4 in either 3.0 or 3.5, myself.
It's completely reproducable and especially annoying since this makes the carport unusable as collision object for indoor scenery with a bent roof.

Quote:
However, I must add that none of these make me want to abandon RealFlight for a different sim. When I collide or flip over, I'm pretty quick with my red-button finger, and don't really dwell on observing the dying or dead bird's behavior. It's taxiing and airborne flight-behavior that I'm after in my sims.
In no way did I say these bugs were a reason to abandon G3.5. Still these are bugs and they should be worked on or at least acknowledged.

Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 11-27-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: