Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:24 AM

Editor suggestions

I played around with the aircraft and airport editor quite a little lately and collected some ideas what could be improved there with not too much effort (I hope).

1) Pan view with right or middle mouse button. In the aircraft editor (upper pane) there doesn't seem to be a way at all to pan, in the airport editor you have to switch to pan mode and back. Since the middle mouse putton is used in Gmax/3dSMax to drag around the view, I'd like to see this in the G3 editors as well.
Another idea would be to have little pivot/pan/zoom icons like in Cinema4D: as long as the mouse button is pressed over one of the icons, any mouse movement is used for panning, rotating or zooming the view (ok, zooming is not really needed for people with a mouse wheel).

2) Copy/Paste: while the airport editor has at least the "move here"/"copy here" feature (though this is not really compliant to windows conventions), there is no way to copy or move a component in the aircraft editor. It would be nice if you could drag coponents from one hierarchy level to another or at least copy/move them.
In the airport editor, I would prefer a windows compliant copy/paste behaviour including group selection with shift/alt and selection by an selection rectangle (left mouse drag).

3) Jump to characters in list boxes: some of the list boxed in the aircraft editor are very large (e.g. airfoil), so it would be nice if you could jump to e.g. to airfoils starting with "N" by typing "N" on the keyboard. This works in most applications and also in the airport editor's object selection tree view btw.

4) Talking of the airport editor's object selection tree view: I don't see why it is empty if no object is selected. I understand this is because when just clicking on the "floor", you also lose the folder selection on the left side, but why is that? I would prefer if the folder selection on the left side was not influenced by not selecting an object. This is especially bothering since you have to switch to pan/pivot view all the time (see #1).

5) When moving objects in the airport editor, it would be great to have this little x/y/z axis thingie that you have in almost all 3D editors (Cinema4D, GMax, 3DSMax) for moving objects around. So you can click on the x-axis and then drag the object around to change the x coordinates and so on.

6) While I understand that implementing all the features of Reflex' very nice scenery editor would be a major effort, I think that adding some basic polygon editing would be a great thing. For a start, you could limit it to triangles where you could move all three edge points. I think the effort for this would still be acceptable compared to the benefits. This would also allow photofield airports with uneven floor. In a next step you could add stuff like friction/bumpiness coefficients and things like that to polygons. This way it would be possible to simulate bumpy floors, grass etc. and it would be even a first step towards water.

7) Though this is not really needed, it would be nice if you could use the pilot spawn view also as edit view. When arraning things in photofields, it would be easier to select/move objects in the pilot spawn view than it is in the normal view. As an alternative, there could be a setting to synchronize the editor view to the pilot spawn view, so when dragging/rotating the pilot spawn view, this would be refelcted in the editor view (which of course would be centered to the pilot as well). Anyway it would be helpful if the currently selected object would be visible in the pilot spawn view even if it is only a depth buffer object. Selected objects could appear in some clearily visible color like yellow or whatever.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:49 PM

I like all of these suggestions!

It would be nice, of course, to also be able to import 3D objects from other (non-3Dstudio) sources.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 PM

I have a good idea for a new event to add to realflight. It would be in the events menu like limbo, or spot landing. My idea is a combat event. All pilots would take off at the same time, and fly all at once. The object of the event is to try to knock the other planes out of the sky. If you crash or touch the ground, you would be eliminated, just like in other events where crashes eliminate players (of course, the eliminated players would be stuck on the ground until the event is over). The last person in the air would be the winner. This would be a good way to organize combat events, and take advantage of the new midair collision feature of G3.5. I have had some really interesting midairs in online multiplayer. What do you think Knife Edge?

Also I would like to see working oleo struts, Bomb drops, planes that smash when you crash instead of just breaking into pieces. I would also like to be able to put custom sounds in the sound emmiters for flying fields. I have some really cool P-51, Corsair, and P-38 flyby sounds.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM

No offense, but there is (at least) another thread for G3.5 suggestions and I think I already read that combat request somewhere.
So maybe we could limit this thread to editor suggestions and hope someone and KE will read it.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM

Do a Search for "just like in other events where crashes eliminate players" and it is there 3 times. this is the 3rd. seems Mr D Harris 998 is Keen.
:0. PS Good sugestions. I just hope the New guys at KES dont take to long to get up to speed.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 AM

Since there was so much feedback from the KE staff (*cough*), I'd like to add some more ideas

8) It should be possible to scale at least basic collision objects (cube, sphere etc.) in each direction independently. Would be great though if this was possible for any object.

9) As long as it's not possible to import new objects (which of course would be nice as well), it would be a first step if we could at least map textures to primitives like boxes. Thus it would be possible to use custom floor or wall textures in 3D fields.

10) As opjose already suggested, importing custom 3D objects would be nice. This would also be an alternative way of creating complex collision meshes for photofields. Then again, I'd still prefer the polygon painting method (#6) for this.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM

11) not exactly an editor suggestion, but related: it would be nice if there was an additional alpha stencil for the photofields. Thus it would be possible to make the aircraft partly visible if it's behind (partly) transparent objects. E.g. glass, nets or wire netting fences. So if a pixel of the aircraft should be invisible because of z culling, it's alpha blended with the background: e.g. for an alpha value of 255, the plane pixel is completely visible, for an alpha value of 0, it's completely covered by the background graphics. Though this simple approach would fail with more than one depth player (e.g. a solid block behind a glass window and the aircraft could be either behind or before the block), it would improve visual quality in quite some scenerios (e.g. football nets and security fences). For a perfect solution, you would need to be able to map the alpha stencil to collision objects.
I think that Reflex handles it similar to that (dunno how perfectly though). At least some of the photofields there have additional bitmaps which pretty mich look like alpha stencils.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

These are some good suggestions. When I went to enter them in our bug tracking system, I found that they were already there with a link to this thread. I don't know if/when we will be able to implement any of them, but they have been heard. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 AM

I have a few myself. maybe they are good sugestions. and maybe they are pointles but.... this might help float your thread and thus bring it to attention.

1/ when chousing what will activate an input chanel. and at what value it will be activated... I would like it so that there was a "Above value #1 or Below value #2" choice. this could allow a mix to become active when a stick is deflected past a perdetermind value either way. or de activated for the same.

2/ in the same field. here. could a rpm sensor be the condition chanel ?? (this might be a Simple Speed monitor.. and or have a airspeed indicator be a condition chanel) (I have often wanted and Output chanel to be selected as a Condition chanel and I think at least once i have wanted an output chanel to be selected as the input chanel)

3/ this is kind of a signal modifyer bit.... for when useing a wave generator... if for example i was to increse a value (Say throtle) could the vave generator increse in Amp with the increse of throtle, and visa verse. same for frequence. two fields to chouse bothe could be throtle or one throtle and the other a switch. or what ever one chouses. (If someone was to use two generators and wanted to link them to each other for harmony. they could, seeing an increase of frequency for a time could lead the other to come out of sync) (Actualy. dont bother with this one if wings can not generate force withoug the fuse moveing... IE flapping)

4/
Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharris998
I have a good idea for a new event to add to realflight. It would be in the events menu like limbo, or spot landing. My idea is a combat event. All pilots would take off at the same time, and fly all at once. The object of the event is to try to knock the other planes out of the sky. If you crash or touch the ground, you would be eliminated, just like in other events where crashes eliminate players (of course, the eliminated players would be stuck on the ground until the event is over). The last person in the air would be the winner. This would be a good way to organize combat events, and take advantage of the new midair collision feature of G3.5. I have had some really interesting midairs in online multiplayer. What do you think Knife Edge?

Also I would like to see working oleo struts, Bomb drops, planes that smash when you crash instead of just breaking into pieces. I would also like to be able to put custom sounds in the sound emmiters for flying fields. I have some really cool P-51, Corsair, and P-38 flyby sounds.

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I fly online with other people, I always ask the host if we can do are own game of combat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: