Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 PM

Some first impressions

First of all: is there a list of changes?

Anyway, here are my observations:

1) It's still possible to land inverted and the prop won't stop though it reaches into the ground (e.g. with Flatout Reflection and RCU Bipe). While the prop seems to stop easier now when crawling on the back with the Reflection, I managed to get a "collision desaster" with the RCU bipe on its back within a few seconds: after a while of skidding around on the upper wing, the plane will be kicked to the horizon like in G3.50.033.

2) With metric units, wind speed and airspeed are still shown in different units (one in "kph", one in "mph"). Besides I still would like to see the common abbreviation "km/h" (kilometers per hour) for both. "kph" is not commonly used and could be confused with "knots per hour", "mph" could be confused with "miles per hour".

3) The screen refresh bug when opening the aircraft editor in a small window is still existent (main window is only partly refreshed when you move the editor window around). Well, as a sidenote, none of my editor improvement suggestions were implemented.

4) Helis still cast a shadow on their own rotors.

5) Parts of an aircraft still disappear when you look at it through a transparent object (carport)

6) Some objects still have no correct collision detection if you approach them from the "wrong" side. E.g. you can fly with a plane though a carport upwards, but not downwards.

7) The rudder behaviour is more or less back to G3.0. So the strange turn/stall/turn/stall-behaviour of the smaller planes is gone now. The E3D behaves much better, it even feels like there is a bit of inertia involved now, which was completely missing in G3.50.033. Especially the loss of rudder effectiveness after a strong reflection feels MUCH better now. Then again for the lighter/smaller planes (foamies), this effect seems to be completely gone now. Guess it should be there too, though less pronounced. Anyway, all in all, this is much better than in G3.50.033.
This needs more testing, but first impression is good on this issue.

8) On a very rough first impression it looks like the fixed part of the vertical wing still has (too much) influence on rudder effectiveness. Needs more testing though to be sure.

9) Planes are much easier to hover (again), so I guess the prop wash was increased as announced. No surprise there.

10) The strength multipliers seem to work much better now. I easily managed to break off the main wings of my ZoomBi now which was impossible with G3.50.033. Still, foamies like the Turmoil don't break apart midair like they did in G3, so the whole crash/robustness behaviours seems much improved compared to older versions.

11) Ground collision was changed a bit, so HeliMax CP doesn't sink into the ground anymore. Then again, some custom aircrafts are now stuck into the ground again as in G.3 (e.g. the X-Ufo, which was buggy from the beginning, but is now completely unflyable even if you manage to get it into the air).

[Edit: typos]

Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 12-22-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:59 AM

Good observations!

- Guys - THIS is how you give feedback!!!!

Punctuation, clarity, a bit of analysis and specific references DO HELP.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:09 AM

Short take (very short) about 15 mins of flying Yak-54 and P-51.

Torque effects on airframes (takeoff) is minimal. Slam the throttle to the wall on both planes, and they only slightly pull left. The P-51 used to pull right slightly, which was strange. That has been fixed.

Hover is much easier, but I'm still begging for more rudder/elevator authority when airframe is completely stopped in a hover or torque-roll. It is better than it was, but I find I'm using more throttle blipping to enable that authority, to make corrections.

I could use more torque effects in torque-roll too. When in a hover with no aileron input, the torque-roll is painfully slow.

Flat spins are not nearly as flat, or fast (perhaps too good before?). They feel like version .448 now, which isn't a bad thing, just different than the radical flat spins I've grown used to.

That's about it in 15 minutes of flying just two birds...more later.

Charles
Old 12-22-2006, 05:53 AM

Ah, and...

12) Flying upright into some collision objects (e.g. the walls in the custom photofield "Sporthalle Schneverdingen", which uses sod farm buildings as collision objects) will not longer allow (small) planes to keep on flying against the wall without crashing. At least I didn't manage to reproduce this in the new version and it was pretty easy in the last.
May be related to the changes in the aircraft robustness, as now the smaller planes are even ripped apart when flying into a wall - which only happened to the big birds before.

All in all (though there's still room for improvement) this looks like a solid release which fixes nearly all of the major issues (especially rudder and crash behaviour) . Thanks to KE for the nice Christmas present!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Two thumbs up!! I'm digging this new version. Thanks guys for changing it to the 041 version.

I'm pretty much a 3D plane guy, so I can't say about heli's.

The knife edge doesn't over rotate when doing pinwheels anymore, and there's more tail authority in hover.

JW
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM

Ok, a little too late, but since it's not closed yet:

13) Starting a recording when the aircraft is damaged will result in resetting the aircraft and start recording afterwards. Might have always been like this, though ... can't recall. Still, this is somewhat frustrating for the "I lost one or two wings and still fly" events. Instead of recording these rare and hardly reproducable events, the plane is reset.
Besides: what about always recording the last flight? Like when you reset the aircraft, the default recording is also reset but if you decide later on that you would have liked to record this, you can just hit a key and store this default recording to a file. Kinda like time shift on a digital video recorder (PVR) which can be converted to a recording.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for your clear and helpful feedback, both positive and negative. I will respond to specific issues below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef
1) It's still possible to land inverted and the prop won't stop though it reaches into the ground (e.g. with Flatout Reflection and RCU Bipe). While the prop seems to stop easier now when crawling on the back with the Reflection, I managed to get a "collision desaster" with the RCU bipe on its back within a few seconds: after a while of skidding around on the upper wing, the plane will be kicked to the horizon like in G3.50.033.

2) With metric units, wind speed and airspeed are still shown in different units (one in "kph", one in "mph"). Besides I still would like to see the common abbreviation "km/h" (kilometers per hour) for both. "kph" is not commonly used and could be confused with "knots per hour", "mph" could be confused with "miles per hour".

8) On a very rough first impression it looks like the fixed part of the vertical wing still has (too much) influence on rudder effectiveness. Needs more testing though to be sure.
I will enter bug reports for all of these issues so that we can investigate them further.

Quote:
3) The screen refresh bug when opening the aircraft editor in a small window is still existent (main window is only partly refreshed when you move the editor window around). Well, as a sidenote, none of my editor improvement suggestions were implemented.
This is a known issue. A bug report already exists for it, but it has a low priority. Editor changes were never slated for this particular update. As for the other editor suggestions you mention, I'm not sure where those are. Obviously I'm going through and closing all of these cases, but if you'd like to PM me with a link to a post containing your other suggestions, I'll make sure a case exists for them in our bug tracking software.

Quote:
4) Helis still cast a shadow on their own rotors.
This is by design. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

Quote:
5) Parts of an aircraft still disappear when you look at it through a transparent object (carport)
This is a known issue. There are some problems with the way our graphics engine handles multiple layers of transparency, as in the scenario you describe. I'll make sure a bug report exists for it, though.

Quote:
6) Some objects still have no correct collision detection if you approach them from the "wrong" side. E.g. you can fly with a plane though a carport upwards, but not downwards.
This doesn't sound like a new issue in .041, but I'd like to make sure a bug report exists. Again, feel free to PM me with a list of the examples you've seen since I'm closing this thread.

Quote:
11) Ground collision was changed a bit, so HeliMax CP doesn't sink into the ground anymore. Then again, some custom aircrafts are now stuck into the ground again as in G.3 (e.g. the X-Ufo, which was buggy from the beginning, but is now completely unflyable even if you manage to get it into the air).
As I'm sure you're aware, the behavior of custom aircaft is out of our control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike
Torque effects on airframes (takeoff) is minimal. Slam the throttle to the wall on both planes, and they only slightly pull left.
I could use more torque effects in torque-roll too. When in a hover with no aileron input, the torque-roll is painfully slow.
I will enter a case with your suggestions to make sure they are considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike
Hover is much easier, but I'm still begging for more rudder/elevator authority when airframe is completely stopped in a hover or torque-roll. It is better than it was, but I find I'm using more throttle blipping to enable that authority, to make corrections.
Again, I'll enter a case with your suggestions, although you may end up needing to tweak the aircraft slightly to behave the way you want. I know you're already comfortable doing that.

Quote:
13) Starting a recording when the aircraft is damaged will result in resetting the aircraft and start recording afterwards. Might have always been like this, though ... can't recall. Still, this is somewhat frustrating for the "I lost one or two wings and still fly" events. Instead of recording these rare and hardly reproducable events, the plane is reset.
Besides: what about always recording the last flight? Like when you reset the aircraft, the default recording is also reset but if you decide later on that you would have liked to record this, you can just hit a key and store this default recording to a file. Kinda like time shift on a digital video recorder (PVR) which can be converted to a recording.
We have discussed this idea before. I believe a case already exists for this feature, but I'll make sure. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be added in a future update; it just means we will consider it further. BTW, nice analogy. I really love my TiVo.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: