Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G3
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Help Disc 3 won't load

I've been trying to install G3.5 on my laptop and disk three never will finish loading in just sits at 27603 bits everytime. I have tried multiple times and it just stops at this point. I have loaded it onto my desktop just fine including EP4. But on the laptop nothing....I've disabled all the virus scan stuff and the firewall??? but nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. -Z
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM

Your laptop CD/DVD drive needs replacement... the positioning mechanism no longer can accurate move the laser.

You could try hooking your laptop and other computer to the same network, then sharing the CD drive of the other computer as a mapped ( letter ) drive.

You should then be able to install G3 from there onto the laptop.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:52 PM

I believe I have the hardware to set up a network between my laptop(wifi) and my desktop. Do I just start the setup network wizard, and then if that works how do I set up the laptop to run installs off of the disc drive on the desktop? Thanks -Z

Last edited by 01SCSS; 02-15-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Like opjose said, you have to set up your cd-rom for sharing. Right click on it and select sharing. Then go to your laptop, and map a network drive to the cd-rom. The workgroup name must be the same on each computer.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:32 PM

I had the same thing happen with disc. #3 BUTit was G4.0 that it happened with(coincedence?)
called cust. supp. thay said the same thing "opjose" said.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
Your laptop CD/DVD drive needs replacement... the positioning mechanism no longer can accurate move the laser.
BUT I was using a "brand new" dvd drive asked me to try on it on another "machine"...i did with the same result! called them back and they sent me a whole new set !! (new set worked like a charm using same"new" drive )......they are pretty good about stuff like that ........CALL THEM
Old 03-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. Numbskully
I had the same thing happen with disc. #3 BUTit was G4.0 that it happened with(coincedence?)
Incorrect.

You might have missed that he did mention that he had NO PROBLEM reading the disk in another computer.

Since he had already tested the CD, it was a known good disk and the problem was with the drive in his computer.

No replacement disk from KE would cure that problem with the reader.

Last edited by opjose; 03-11-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM

you would be better off copying all the files from all the disks onto a thumb drive (UPB memory stick) and installing from that device.

Setting up a network for this single purpose is a waste of your time and efforts. Of course networking your machines will derive other benefits... cheers
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Though if he already has a home network setup all of this is trivial.

Installing from a USB drive can be a bit problematic, as the installer wants to find the path back to the root of the drive the installer was launched from to continue the installation.

Normally you can circumvent this by putting the contents of each disk into a separate directory called

Disk1
Disk2
Disk3
Disk4

As USUALLY ( but not always ) the above labels/directories tend to get hard coded into the msi installer packages ( usually for testing ).

However sometimes this is not done, so you have no real mechanism to swap the disks so to speak, when you install via USB drive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: