Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Questions about RF-8

First I have to say good job guys!

Here's a few questions as a content creator.

1. What version of Direct X is supported.

2. What is the texture size.

3. What is the triangle limit.

4. What is the collision mesh limit.

Beyond that has there been any improvement to the textures in 3d fields?

And of course as an RF-X owner is there any discount to get RF-8.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
First I have to say good job guys!

Here's a few questions as a content creator.

1. What version of Direct X is supported.

2. What is the texture size.

3. What is the triangle limit.

4. What is the collision mesh limit.

I'll answer Q1. for you.... It DX9 acording to the system requirements.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Duh.. I looked at all the pages but didn't think to look at the requirements, but I assumed it was dx9 from the video. None the less if the other items I ask about went up it will be a really nice change. The collision mesh doesn't really matter but I hope the triangle count went up. I also expect the texture size to be the same but wanted to know for sure. So FBX exports and more triangles is enough for me. I'd like some of the other stuff but that's what I really want from this release.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Duh.. I looked at all the pages but didn't think to look at the requirements, but I assumed it was dx9 from the video. None the less if the other items I ask about went up it will be a really nice change. The collision mesh doesn't really matter but I hope the triangle count went up. I also expect the texture size to be the same but wanted to know for sure. So FBX exports and more triangles is enough for me. I'd like some of the other stuff but that's what I really want from this release.
From some reading about dx9 the max is 8192 although some old cards are limited to 4096 and really old stuff is probobly even lower

Also the dx-9 limit on triangles for one object (airplane not including props) is 65,334 but i expect the rf limit to be less than that
Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
From some reading about dx9 the max is 8192 although some old cards are limited to 4096 and really old stuff is probobly even lower

Also the dx-9 limit on triangles for one object (airplane not including props) is 65,334 but i expect the rf limit to be less than that
An 8k texture size would really help that's double what we have now. And a triangle limit in the 40k range would be really nice too. I expect the same texture size with a increase in triangle count. None the less this is a good release for a developer like me with my time running out in 3ds max. So I can continue to model planes and hopefully with a nice bump in triangle count. This isn't what I wanted my thoughts on RF-8 has stayed the same and I've posted them many times but it's still a nice change. It sure would be nice if they would consider giving a few copies out to the developers. I have some computer parts I'd give Andy if he has someone that can put a system together for him. I have a Intel 4770s, 32 Gig of RAM and a Motherboard for it so he would need the rest of the parts but that would be a very nice system for RF-8. That is if he's interested these days, he's got lots of other stuff on his plate now days. But after buying RF-X and spending about 1900 bucks to upgrade I'd appreciate a little help on RF-8 being on a fixed income and all.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Quote:
Am I blind? I didn't see system requirements anywhere. Does RF8 require a $500+ video card? Or are the requirements more like 7.5? My system runs 7.5 just fine with acceptable frame rates, but RFX is totally unusable.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Note that we have created a Designer's Corner forum dedicated to RF8, but I'm happy to answer all of these here (they're a mix of general interest & content creation questions, anyway).
  1. legoman is correct. This product is using the same engine as 7.5 and has the same DirectX requirements.
  2. Texture size is unchanged from 7.5.
  3. Triangle limit should now be the same as in RF-X: 135,000. We did encounter a problem when importing an object with a higher number of vertices just now, but I assume that will be solvable once we look at it further.
  4. To be perfectly candid I don't know. I don't think it has changed, but the person I'd need to ask is out of the office.
Quote:
If you're asking about the terrain textures, they are the same as in 7.5.

Quote:
That's determined entirely by our publisher, Great Planes/Hobbico. I know they have something planned, though. I'm not sure when the details will be revealed.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
Am I blind? I didn't see system requirements anywhere. Does RF8 require a $500+ video card? Or are the requirements more like 7.5? My system runs 7.5 just fine with acceptable frame rates, but RFX is totally unusable.
System requirements are listed on the official site.

In short, they are the same as 7.5 if you do not want to use VR. VR systems (we're basically talking about Oculus Rift and HTC Vive here) have much higher requirements that are completely independent from our software.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Thanks. I didn't think to go there... I assumed there would be a link to the system requirements in the announcement on the forum. I have a quad Xeon 3.6, 32G RAM, SSD, GTX-760.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Good point. I'll add a link in that post.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:18 PM

Gees, I guess that I will apply for welfare to pay the electric bill to run the massively parallel cyber bank that I will need for my deep immersive VR experience.

Knife Edge emergency relief fund??

Ryan..... Has anything been done to improve the Multi-Player experience? Banning individuals that are causing trouble? or any other process?

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 10-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
Note that we have created a Designer's Corner forum dedicated to RF8, but I'm happy to answer all of these here (they're a mix of general interest & content creation questions, anyway).
  1. legoman is correct. This product is using the same engine as 7.5 and has the same DirectX requirements.
  2. Texture size is unchanged from 7.5.
  3. Triangle limit should now be the same as in RF-X: 135,000. We did encounter a problem when importing an object with a higher number of vertices just now, but I assume that will be solvable once we look at it further.
  4. To be perfectly candid I don't know. I don't think it has changed, but the person I'd need to ask is out of the office.

If you're asking about the terrain textures, they are the same as in 7.5.

That's determined entirely by our publisher, Great Planes/Hobbico. I know they have something planned, though. I'm not sure when the details will be revealed.
Thanks Ryan I expected those answers but I always ask to be clear on them. But someone mentioned DX9 only allowed 64k triangles per object? So is that correct? And is a plane more than one object once dx9 gets it? I just want to be sure, boy 135k triangles would be great!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 PM

My apologies if I've missed it, but is there a side by side comparison of features/differences/requirements between RF8 and RFX?

How will users and custom content creators know which is the best one for them to buy??

Thanks
Old 10-04-2017, 08:33 PM

Software only is $99. I don't know, but to me $99 is very reasonable for a new product.

Quote:
And of course, as an RF-X owner is there any discount to get RF-8.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:08 PM

This is good news... especially about the heli collective sounds being returned. They were removed (massively attenuated) from every version after g5.5. Hopefully the flight physics will also return to something resembling g5.5 as well... and we can say goodbye to the "thick air" feeling since g6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Ryan..... Has anything been done to improve the Multi-Player experience? Banning individuals that are causing trouble? or any other process?
+1000

Some time ago, a very smart and handsome fellow posted another suggestion to improve Multiplayer... and there was some support for it as well.

https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31016

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: