Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
RF8 Migration tool?

Is there a migration tool to copy my custom content & add-ons from 7.5 to 8?
I know there was a post somewhere that mentioned an easy way to do it, but I can't seem to find it.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:20 PM

Copy the files from the RealFlight 7 folder found in your documents folder to the RealFlight 8 folder found in the documents folder.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:20 PM

Just copy your content over from the folder of the same name in your Documents folder. Also you can copy the 5 free .dck add-on files over if you have them from one data folder to the other in program files (x86).

RF-8 will need to create the DDS files again one time when you load the imported model.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Just copy your content over from the folder of the same name in your Documents folder. Also you can copy the 5 free .dck add-on files over if you have them from one data folder to the other in program files (x86).

RF-8 will need to create the DDS files again one time when you load the imported model.
I thought it was something like that, and I had already copied the files from the RF7 directories to the corresponding RF8 directories. But it didn't work. After reading your post, I copied them again, overwriting all the existing files. And it still doesn't work. I can see the aircraft in the list, but RF8 says "unable to load Trident" when I try to select any of the custom aircraft. Do I need to delete the .dds files or something to force a rebuild?

I didn't know about the add-on files in the program directory. Those now appear in the selection menus and seem to work fine.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-28-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:36 AM

Now I'm REALLY confused!!!!!
1) Trident Mk I worked in 7.5.
2) Copied 7.5's files in doc directories to 8's doc directories.
3) Trident Mk1 does not work in 8 - unable to load.
4) Imported Trident Mk I_EA.rfx into RF8. It now works in RF8.
5) Trident MK I NO LONGER WORKS in RF7.5! Files are missing in its directory.

RF7.5's directory on left, RF8's directory on right in attached screen capture. Before importing the aircraft into RF8, these 2 directories were identical.
How did importing an aircraft into RF8 BREAK the same aircraft that WAS working in 7.5?
How did importing into RF8 delete files from the corresponding RF7 directory?
P.S. I've tried importing several aircraft into RF8 from the .rfx files. Each import has broken the same aircraft in RF7.5.
P.P.S. I can repair the broken aircraft in 7.5 by re-importing them from the EA's. After I do that, they work in 7.5 & 8.
Attached Images
File Type: png TridentMk1.png (27.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-29-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:44 AM

I didn't copy the DDS files so when I would select the model it would open that box and create it again. I made a copy of my original folder first and decided I didn't want the clutter of everything in 7.5. So I renamed it back and named the other folder Realflight 8_Copy. I have a folder of all my imported stuff (models, fields, color schemes) so I've decided to pick and choose what goes into RF-8 now.

When you copied things did you hold CTRL ? If not windows will move the folders/files deleting them from the original location instead of copying. That may be why they disappeared in 7.5 for you.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:42 AM

I used a file management program that I've been using for many years - it shows both the source & destination directories simultaneously, as shown in that screen capture. Both sides were identical before I used RF8's import tool to reinstall the models from the _EA files that were still in my downloads directory. And after the import, all but the .kex file was missing from RF7's directory - importing them INTO RF8 effectively UN-installed them from RF7. I was AMAZED, and didn't believe it - until I imported a different aircraft. And the files disappeared from THAT aircraft's RF7 directory, too - but the files in the RF8 directory appeared to be unchanged pre/post the import. The only VISIBLE change in RF8 was that the aircraft would load when I selected them in RF8. In RF7.5, the models are still visible in the selection window. When selected, I got 3 error messages as they loaded, but the messages disappeared before I could fully decypher them - they displayed in red characters on the gray Joe's Garage Runway background with insufficient contrast for my eyes to focus on them at a glance. I managed to read the word "texture" in one of them before it disappeared. The other odd thing was that the aircraft actually appeared on the runway and was flyable in 7.5 even though the load process showed 3 essentially unreadable error messages. Maybe I'd have been able to read them on a different airport's background, but I didn't try that.

Another point: In RF8, the names & descriptions of the copied but un-imported aircraft appeared in the selection list, but there was no preview of the aircraft in the selection screen.

In 30 years of building & repairing PC's I've never seen behavior like that. It makes NO sense to me. In those 30 years, I've probably made (and learned from) just about every mistake it's possible to make on a PC. And I'm TOTALLY convinced that I didn't make any mistakes. I'm wondering if there might be some setting in a configuration file that I SHOULDN'T have copied into the RF8 directory that caused the RF7 flies to be deleted when I told the importer to replace all the files that already existed. Maybe it deleted them from the RF7 directory and over-wrote them in the RF8 directory. But that seems unlikely. I took a quick look at the .ini files, but nothing jumped out at me.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-29-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 PM

Bill, I'm having the same problem. I copied them from RF7.5. The custom models appear on the selection list in RF8 but they won't work. A Realflight dialog box opens asking if I want to send the error info to tech support and shuts the program down.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 PM

Maybe somebody smarter can figure out why you are having the issues. I am running RF7 on a different drive than I am RF8 is all that comes to mind. I also think it creates some kind of virtual drive when it runs but my memory isn't what it used to be.

No problems here having the same model in both programs.

I also have a lot of drive letters mapped already through the letter K because of my networked server.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 10-29-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:47 PM

I've worked around the problem by re-importing the dozen or so models I want to keep into each version of RF. The hardest part was figuring out which of the 10 or so versions of the Trident to import. I have so much disk space that I don't need to delete anything I've downloaded to save space, so I have all the EA's immediately available.

But there DOES seem to be a bug that they should look into. It seems to be a very subtle bug that would have been VERY easy to miss as they were testing RF8. It wouldn't have been found if they didn't test to be sure that RF8 didn't break RF7 on the same machine. It shouldn't affect RF7 at all, but it apparently does. I've worked on so many hundreds (thousands?) of PC's over the years that I've learned how to deal with stuff like that - like fixing business critical software that broke when a computer was upgraded, etc. And I've received a LOT of phone calls from panic stricken users in situations like that. I've learned a LOT of "stupid pet tricks" to fix unusual problems. But that's probably not true of MOST PC users to whom PC's are tools that should "just work" instead of being a way of life like they are for me. I've worked extensively with every OS from CP/M (1977 pre-IBM PC) to the PC's DOS 3.2 through Windows 10. It keeps life interesting.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:36 PM

Message Duration

If the messages in program disappear, before you have a chance to read them, there is a Message Duration setting available.
In the Main Menu (menu at the top of the program):
(L Click) Simulation>Settings>Console.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (25.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:59 PM

Thanks. That's nice to know. I changed both the color and the duration. The red text is very difficult to read.
Now that I can actually read it, I'm guessing that the bug has something to do with the fact that both RF7 & RF8 seem be using a common virtual drive O: and conflict with each other.
Here are a couple examples of what I see or saw:
Attached Images
File Type: png LoadError.png (388.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png LoadError2.png (434.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-29-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:15 PM

Here's another example, before & after re-importing a different aircraft into RF7.5 after importing it into RF8 broke it in RF7.5:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoadError3.jpg (154.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg LoadError4.jpg (131.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 10-29-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 AM

I copied all my planes from 7.5 and all the things I did when i went from 6.5 to 7.5 and it dont work. some models did and some dont. Ive decided to just install the EA and AV's i have in a temp folder. i had a lot of models that were junk anyway so this will be a good way to get rid of them.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM

But tried this myself and I think I know the root cause.

Some of the text files that tell RF what directories to look for in my documents are telling RF8 to look in RF7's folder. In other words the location the file were change but their internal pointers did not so it throws an error.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: