Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 PM

DDawg, I'm no expert artist with gimp but I would be very pleased to put something up for your approval, and I have The Wife's permission to spend all weekend on it, LOL!!!

There is a nice "clean" looking A6 color scheme on swaps called Devil Dog 505, I'd like to use as a base and add Easy's particulars to it....here are some carrier screen shots in one of my fields...

I may be a little too anal with questions, but I'd like to keep it as accurate as possible for him, so here goes....

The pics you uploaded, one is a "photograph", the other is "artwork"...

The "Photograph" Tail Number 157022 with a large "6" on the rudder

The "Artwork" Tail Number 156995 with a large "06" on the rudder

Both appear to have "506" at the nose

Are either (both?) of these HIS PLANE, or just whats on the web from his squadron?

Let me know if either of them is preferred as far as Tail Numbers...Also, the artwork appears to have perforation holes in the speed brakes, give me thumbs up/down on including them if possible, without blowing the secret of course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1515112585.jpg (254.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1515112621.jpg (218.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1515112758.jpg (144.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1515112877.jpg (228.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM

PS I managed to nail a couple decent carrier landings....heavy tail down flair with flaps and speed brakes out, "whump", hit the deck and nose braked like it was "arrested"...

Wish I knew how to record/edit into You tube vids.... we could do a mini "mission"
Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
PS I managed to nail a couple decent carrier landings....heavy tail down flair with flaps and speed brakes out, "whump", hit the deck and nose braked like it was "arrested"...

Wish I knew how to record/edit into You tube vids.... we could do a mini "mission"
I use fraps to capture the flight live .... then, use Microsoft live movie maker (Free) to edit the video then upload to you tube ...

I talked to Bobby tonight ... got some more info ...

Last edited by DDawg; 01-05-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
ok here try this one DDawg i fudged Ailerons that work just on the bottom of the outer wing to wok in conjunction with the Spoilerons as well as opposite rudder with Ailerons so it does roll a ton better i also gave it more power for you so give this one a good try
Cool, I tried Brokedad's mod, and it was definitely on the right track ...

Just got home from work ... I will load this up and make a video .... after I get settled in ...
Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 PM

WOW ... Doug ... Nice edit ... Video to come shortly ...

https://youtu.be/PkALBn2kiNM

Last edited by DDawg; 01-04-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
WOW ... Doug ... Nice edit ... Video to come shortly ...

https://youtu.be/PkALBn2kiNM
good i think its flying really good now so i'm glad your liking it , i'll check the video out after
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14 AM

For the painters to get a better of the A6's of VA-52 returning to Whidbey Island 1971, from the Kitty Hawk CV-63 'Nam Cruise ...

Sorry the quality is a bit poor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIb75LfgUvk
Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 AM

Hey Guys,

Give this one a shot.....really smooth with great roll rate...also, go to tail cam view on mine vs others, and see I've finally solved that persistent yaw wobble problem....

DDawg gave me a clue and it was like "DING!" I'll explain later, LOL!

I added several cameras too, (cockpit, Center, left and right seats and an external to see the bombs drop) but seemed to have lost the visible exhaust?...I have particles on, and dont think I touched the engines (except to add some thrust) let me know if you see exhaust on your monitor, gotta get to sleep early day tomorrow!
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Petes A-6 Intruder_AV.RFX (52.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 AM

Attention

Grumman A-6 Intruder Kitty Hawk_CS
"Updated CS RFX"
This is referring to post #37:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...3&postcount=37

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 01-08-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Give this one a shot.....really smooth with great roll rate...also, go to tail cam view on mine vs others, and see I've finally solved that persistent yaw wobble problem....

DDawg gave me a clue and it was like "DING!" I'll explain later, LOL!

I added several cameras too, (cockpit, Center, left and right seats and an external to see the bombs drop) but seemed to have lost the visible exhaust?...I have particles on, and dont think I touched the engines (except to add some thrust) let me know if you see exhaust on your monitor, gotta get to sleep early day tomorrow!
OK ... this version is a handful ... It rolls great. the exhaust is present and visible. The ground handling is a bit touchy (Especially when applying the breaks) ... while I like the speed, it's not recommended to fly full throttle all the time ... unless you like hitting the spacebar a lot ... or your thumbs are rock solid.

While I enjoy this type of challenge ... I fell that the optimum physics would be somewhere between your current setting and Doug's latest mod.

I found that low rates was needed for the Pete's mod (but I love the high-rates), but I think it might be too much out of Bobby's skill set (But he can throttle back) ... I also thing that somewhere between your two guy's physics settings would be real close to max scale performance.

I recorded a video, but I don't like it. I embarrassed myself ... but, not too bad ... LOL.
https://youtu.be/AWE0jbAcoIo

Last edited by DDawg; 01-05-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
DDawg, I'm no expert artist with gimp but I would be very pleased to put something up for your approval, and I have The Wife's permission to spend all weekend on it, LOL!!!

There is a nice "clean" looking A6 color scheme on swaps called Devil Dog 505, I'd like to use as a base and add Easy's particulars to it....here are some carrier screen shots in one of my fields...
I think that skin would work as a starting base

The "Photograph" Tail Number 157022 with a large "06" on the rudder is the one with "506" at the nose See picture below for angle and location

No perforation holes in the speed brakes, he already had holes put in his first plane ... small arms fire ... flamed out, the bailed out ... bullet in rear ... purple heart ... he does't talk about that one and was ashamed about getting the medal. His brother was a CH-47 pilot serving in 67-68 in Vietnam. Me, I was never in Nam, I was at Royal Thai AFB Korat, Thailand for 3 months TDY 74-75 ... serving in the USAF (Radar), Then worked for the D.O.D. Navy, NAS Alameda 81-till base closure, as a missile mechanic, then the LSO HUD Carrier Landing system. But I digress ...

No Blue background with White text for Pilot, or BN
Black text on Navy grey ...

Pilot (left side)
Lt. Bobby Sears
"Easy"
BN (Right side)
Lt. Jerry Knight
"Lancelot"

Top Right side of the Wing
506NH

Note color scheme: Grey top 2/3rds of fuselage, white on bottom 1/3rd of fuselage. This also goes for the nose.

Also note the elevators. Mostly white with small band of grey near fuse.

Better look at the squadron markings/fuse paint scheme. (note VA-52 on board CV-63 Kitty Hawk had the Lance on both the Fuse and drop tank).
The Rudder can be either Blue w/white Numbers or White w/ black numbers (He flew with both ... white was what he would prefer. But either will work ...

Last edited by DDawg; 01-05-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 AM

Doug's been at this longer than me and taught me a few things. I'm glad you got one flying well. It's such an odd control system.

Also nice to see you back Moto. I still have your field if you lost it in another computer crash.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 AM

I don’t know where the “High Rate” switch is….. the bombs drop on the top left toggle (cant remember the number…channel 11?) …does that also act as rate switch?

Would kinda make sense... low rate with bomb load on (more sluggish, vulnerable handling?) high rate after dropping ordnance? (for dodging those angry MiG’s and SAMS chasing you home!?) LOL!...... I’ll have to fly some more and pay attention, and adjust….
Old 01-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Talking

As for the yaw wobble, it bothered me for years on this plane in RF-7,…

Then DDawg mentions the nose radar is too modern for Easy’s plane, and thought, well, it cant be eliminated, but the “sweep” of it seemed too short and a bit too fast to look realistic….

So I increased the sweep and extended the time of its ossilation…an immediately noticed on my next flight the annoying, Persistent Yaw Wobble just wider, and slower……WTF!?

DING! Epiphany!

I “re-remembered” that all Pivot Components are by default, little “fuselages” with dimension and airfoil properties, even if they are invisable….so I set the radar pivot X,Y,Z dimensions to the minimum allowable, gave it zero lift and zero parasitic drag….

BOOM, no more Yaw Wobble,she flies straight for the first time EVER….that Dang Radar unit was a constantly moving RUDDER on the nose for YEARS, and bothered me so much I eventualy “gave up” trying to fix that plane.

And now its fixed…and I never would have re-visited it, but for this thread…Karma Baby, Karma!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:00 PM

Well that's cool to know ...

The intruder looked looked better as the"A,and B" versions anyway...

since it is said it (Radar pod) on the nose couldn't be removed ... I was wondering if you moved it up along the "Z" axis, if it could be hidden? or would that still show up visually ... and since that caused the Adverse yaw affects, would it play with the CG too.?

Also have pictures of Easy's helmet, I will post a bit latter ...

Last edited by DDawg; 01-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: