Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Ryan Douglas's Avatar
Ryan Douglas Ryan Douglas is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
Is SteamOS supported? Anyway I might buy it if:
- it works on Ubuntu either native or via Wine
- I can use my old 3.5 controller
- I can use my old Great Planes Pitts S2s
- it works with any steamVR device
Thanks for letting me know what of the above to expect working.
The Steam version of RealFlight 8 will not support SteamOS. It is still a Windows software application.

Read this thread for more info about supported controllers.

The free, repackaged versions of the old Add-Ons volumes (including AO4 which contained the Pitts S-2S) will continue to be supported in RF8.

RF8 supports OpenVR/SteamVR. Theoretically, any device that also supports those will work. Practically speaking, performance varies among devices. RF8 was developed around the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Ryan Douglas's Avatar
Ryan Douglas Ryan Douglas is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 2,754
A boxed copy of RealFlight 8 or a digital version from Tower Hobbies will not automatically grant you a Steam license. We have talked about figuring out a way to provide Steam keys for existing users, and we like that idea a lot. If we're able to do that, however, it won't happen right away.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM
BrokeDad's Avatar
BrokeDad BrokeDad is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
A boxed copy of RealFlight 8 or a digital version from Tower Hobbies will not automatically grant you a Steam license. We have talked about figuring out a way to provide Steam keys for existing users, and we like that idea a lot. If we're able to do that, however, it won't happen right away.
Great to hear you are open to that. Until then it will still be nice to see all the new people in multiplayer using Steam.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2018, 12:48 PM
cyclo cyclo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
I have a few questions regarding RF8 on Steam...

1. Will installing RF8 from Steam overwrite my existing install of RF7.5?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, will I be able to play both RF7.5 (installed from a dvd) and RF8 (installed via steam)? Basically can I alternate between RF 7.5 and 8?

3. Will the Interlink Elite (wired) controller that came with my RF7.5 be fully functional in RF8. In other words, can I use the Reset, Menu, Select buttons built in the Controller when simming in RF8?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I have a few questions regarding RF8 on Steam...

1. Will installing RF8 from Steam overwrite my existing install of RF7.5?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, will I be able to play both RF7.5 (installed from a dvd) and RF8 (installed via steam)? Basically can I alternate between RF 7.5 and 8?

3. Will the Interlink Elite (wired) controller that came with my RF7.5 be fully functional in RF8. In other words, can I use the Reset, Menu, Select buttons built in the Controller when simming in RF8?
RealFlight always installs itself to a 'new' directory so yes you can have both installed at the same time and alternate between them. I have the interlink from 6.5 and 7.5 and they both work with RF-8.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:16 AM
mike4 mike4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Thanks Ryan. I should get a Samsung Odyssey or maybe a upcoming Vive Pro.
Could you make it work in Wine on Ubuntu?
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=32056
Is it possible to get a refund on Steam, if I run into problems with controller etc.?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-14-2018, 10:55 AM
12oclockhigh 12oclockhigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,896
Sorry, as said before by Ryan. All versions of Real Flight are Microsoft Windows applications, they will not run natively on any other operating system. Just because the app is on steam, does not change anything.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM
mike4 mike4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
While I still have that virus plagued os installed, I prefer to not boot it anymore.
Wine looks like a very small fix. I run Aerofly in Wine with my old controller, why shouldn't Rf8 do as well?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Kmot's Avatar
Kmot Kmot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,811
What the he!! is Steam???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What the hell is steam.jpg (76.4 KB, 9 views)
__________________
It's a simulator, not a video game! err.... umm....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 PM
12oclockhigh 12oclockhigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,896
There are people running Real Flight on Apple with emulators running Windows. I wish you the best, but an OS fight is off topic here. We, as users, have absolutely no control over that. If it does not run on your OS there is no reason to poke it, just move along and find one that will.

Best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
While I still have that virus plagued os installed, I prefer to not boot it anymore.
Wine looks like a very small fix. I run Aerofly in Wine with my old controller, why shouldn't Rf8 do as well?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:40 PM
TomC TomC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
What the he!! is Steam???
A little googling? Anyway, here's a link to get you started;


http://store.steampowered.com/about/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
A little googling? Anyway, here's a link to get you started;


http://store.steampowered.com/about/
Looked at the link briefly TomC, Are there any fees and or payments, monthly charges, whatever ? for the use of steam ??
__________________
Why do today, what you can put off `till tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 PM
TomC TomC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Looked at the link briefly TomC, Are there any fees and or payments, monthly charges, whatever ? for the use of steam ??
No, there are no additional charges that I am aware of besides the purchase price of the games and apps you buy from them. Please do a bit more research into their terms and conditions in order to help you understand the details (eg. payment methods and return policy, etc. ).

Basically it is just a VERY big Game store!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,900
Will do, thanks.
__________________
Why do today, what you can put off `till tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM
csgill75's Avatar
csgill75 csgill75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 3,349
I've been using steam since 2009 it's the only game service I use. I have several hundred games using their service they have excellent sales on games several times a year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.